Melting point?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Melting point?

Anyone know the melting point of boaphile plastic materials? Just wondering. I have all my tanks perfect on my ball room rack but my bottom tub is reaching 109. I have the thermostat set at 96, directlyon the flexwatt on the next rack up. It dosnt seem to have consistent heat out put. I'm now taking all my temp readings with a heat gun.

Re: Melting point?

Polyethylene which the rack is made from will not melt till past 200 degrees. The proper way to set up and control your rack was posted on another thread on this topic you started a couple days ago. Follow these simple instructions exactly and you will be in business:

Originally posted by The_Boaphile View Post
    I didn't read all the replies so there is a chance that someone posted what we recommend. If so, let me repeat, if not, here is is afresh, there is a perfectly usable hole in the back where the cords come out. The probe should inserted into that hole, then the probe should be taped onto the Flexwatt using clear packaging tape directly in the corner where the Flexwatt runs up the wall a tiny bit. This way the probe is never in the way of the drawer and you are monitoring the temperature directly on the heater for greatest accuracy. Next you have to calibrate the thermostat temperature setting. A good starting place is 88 degrees which is not coincidentally where the thermostat was preset to. Then if the temp inside the drawer on the heat is not what you would like, adjust it up or down a couple degrees at a time till you figure out exactly what temperature you need to set the thermostat at, to achieve the temps you want in the drawer.

That's it!

Did anyone else say that?

theboaphile.com
    boaphileplastics.com

Comment

From reading the original poster's post it seems that he has one thermostat with 2 racks, and it is the rack on top that the probe is controlling.

If that is the case, you really should have 2 thermostats. One per rack.

Example. I have this ARS rack (old picture from when I just got it), each level has 2 tubs and is heated by a heat panel made by running flexwatt under a stainless steel panel with reflectix under it to help radiate heat upward. So there are 4 panels total. You'd think that each functioned the same, and that attaching a thermostat to any one of them would result in all being able to be controlled by one thermostat (since the total wattage of the rack is under 100 watts). Wrong. I have a Herpstat PRO hooked up, each level has it's own control. I set the probe on the heat panel for the given level, and calibrate the thermostat's setting so that the temp inside the tub is where I want it. No 2 levels are at the same setting to get the same 92 hot spot in the tub that I want to achieve. Infact the level 2nd to the bottom is set a whole 7 degrees higher than the other 3 levels. Checking internal functioning temps in the tubs is the same though.

Comment

I only have one rack. And I have done what the instructions say. The bottom tub gets alot hotter than the rest of the tubs. Thats what I'm trying to say. Its over 100 when the other tubs are in the low 90's.

Comment

If I set the thermostat lower then my ambient air in all the tubs drop to 75 with the hot spot being in the mid to high 80's. Except for the bottom rack they all work the same.

Comment

Working...
          X