X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• zamora
    replied
    Re: Ambient temps

I have to put my two cents in here. First of all, you have been given good information from both [MENTION=8640]tsblair[/MENTION] and [MENTION=7657]Pandorasdad[/MENTION] and I need to mention that @NitenIchRyu is in Italy, not the US so taking care of snakes is different in other parts of the world. You can get everything that you need from The Boaphile. If you decide not to go with that caging, there are others on the market and they are good as well. CHEs (ceramic heat emitters) should NOT be used for boas because number one, they are hot to the touch and will burn your animal and number two, they suck all the humidity out of the air which is NOT good.

Leave a comment:

• NitenIchiRyu
    replied

Originally posted by ispitroseas View Post
    Yes, I was thinking of using some live plants as well which is why I was wondering if heat lamps would also work.
    Of course it may just be more economical if I just do a straight set up and get the recommended heat panels. I already have a thermostat so it should be easy to set up?
    I still have to make a lot of practice both with gardening and snakes, the only thing I'm sure about is that you'll need uv lamps and a good humidifier. I use Zoomed Reptifogger but wouldn't recommend it, it looks like after just a couple of days of sporadical use it takes a long time before it starts working...
    Regarding heating bulbs I've been suggested to use them just if the terrarium is very tall, above 1,5 mt.
    Regarding the thermostat you just need to put it where the snake is supposed to be keeping it 1 cm over the substrate in horizontal position, parallel to the ground. Zoomed and Exoterra work well, maybe Zoomed's is a bit more precise.

ps: don't trust thermostats, thermometers, hygrometers and anything else... I double check all of them, confronting the values. The first thermometer I got didn't work and I was baking my boa.

Leave a comment:

• ispitroseas
    replied

Originally posted by NitenIchiRyu View Post
    I use flat bricks with a heating cable passed through them, covered with 1 cm of substrate. Be careful with the ceramic because it becomes really hot, it needs to be shielded well and a bulb doesn't spread a lot the heat, I'd suggest the use of panels too, or bricks.
    I'm starting to use heating lamps too but I'm not familiar to them, but they should be ok as I have live plants in the enclosures and I really don't lack humidity.
    Yes, I was thinking of using some live plants as well which is why I was wondering if heat lamps would also work.
    Of course it may just be more economical if I just do a straight set up and get the recommended heat panels. I already have a thermostat so it should be easy to set up?

Leave a comment:

• NitenIchiRyu
    replied

I use flat bricks with a heating cable passed through them, covered with 1 cm of substrate. Be careful with the ceramic because it becomes really hot, it needs to be shielded well and a bulb doesn't spread a lot the heat, I'd suggest the use of panels too, or bricks.
    I'm starting to use heating lamps too but I'm not familiar to them, but they should be ok as I have live plants in the enclosures and I really don't lack humidity.

Leave a comment:

• sharudd30
    replied

Ultratherm heat pads and radiant heat panels

Leave a comment:

• Pandorasdad
    replied

Originally posted by tsblair View Post
    Then all you need is a good thermostat.
    Which Jeff would be happy to sell you and ship with your cage. One stop shopping!

Sent from my HTC One via Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• tsblair
    replied

You can order the Boaphile with a RHP and flexwatt already installed. Then all you need is a good thermostat.

Leave a comment:

• jOHNNY t
    replied

Originally posted by ispitroseas View Post
    I'm familiar with those and alien to radiant heat panels.
    I use 40wat RHP's (Reptile Basics 40 Watt Radiant Heat Panel - Reptile Basics Inc) in mine 421D's. I drill a hole for the cord and mounted it to the side. I also use UTH. You will need a t-stat to regulate.

Leave a comment:

• ispitroseas
    started a topic Ambient temps

Ambient temps

What is a safe device to get ambient temperatures up? I only have one boa who will be getting a boaphile cage soon.
    I'd like to use something like a ceramic heat emitter. I'm familiar with those and alien to radiant heat panels. However if that is the only way could someone explain everything about installing them and give me some info such as; size I should get, ease of maintenance, pros/cons, brand that is most recommended
Working...
X