Need your advice and experience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need your advice and experience

I've done a quick search on cage building but still haven't found the answers I was looking for.
    Are there no no's as far a woods to be used ? Pine is most common here ,especially after the recent storms.
    I would prefer to paint the cage. What types of paints can be used that will NOT harm our Boa.
    Building is not a problem. I need an acceptable materials list and any precautions that need to be followed.
    TIA,
    Wayne

Re: Need your advice and experience

I've never seen a painted wood cage personally, so I couldn't tell you about what kind of paint to use. Any wood can be used to build a cage, as long as you use a lot of primer (forgot the name...I hope this is right). Make sure to silicon the corners so they hold humidity.

My choice for cage material would be melamine. It's cheap and easy to work with. It's really heavy though.

Comment

I would stay away from cedar because of how acidic it is esspecially when it gets wet. However i could be wrong. The most important thing is to use many coats of polycrilyc which im not sure if you can use over a thin layer of paint but im beleive you could. But im talking about 10 coats of sealant. But if your going to paint or stain pine is just fine and youll never know the diff.

Comment

Um nevermind duh

Comment

if your going to paint the cage, use a latex based paint and make sure, i mean make sure you corner the cracks with silicon based caulk and use at least 8-10 coats of polycrilic over the inside after the caulking has had time to dry. my cage has pics of it up here and i used 12 coats of polycrilic on the inside for that. after two or thre coats, your going to be sick of doing it and you will feel as if its not going to make a difference, keep going cause when you get to about six or seven coats its starts to be thick and you ll feel better about it. also i used birch plywood, which looks great but is more expensive and extremely heavy. good luck and shoot up here with anymore questions.

Comment

http://www.arbreptiles.com/cages/tips.shtml

There are some good cage building tips here!

Comment

Working...
            X