This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will This Be Big Enough???

Hey everybody. I just got done building a 2'WIDE X 2' TALL X 4' LONG. This should last the entire life of my female RTB shouldn't it??? I Have 2' of Heat Tape and a 17" Radiant heat panel as well as a basking light and red light. The temp stays around 88 during the day when I shut the lights off. It gets about 78, Is that good as well? O Yea I Don't want to forget I got them hooked up to switches as well as a thermostat and I am using a digital hygrometer as well that tells the temp in the cage as well as the humidity which stays inbetween 60 & 70 %. Any replies will be appreciated. Thanks again.

ANTHRAX

Re:Will This Be Big Enough???

Hey anthrax,

I just wanted to share with you some info on the size of an enclosure for a full grown RTB. A 4x2x2 cage is a good size for about the first 3-4 years. The general rule of thumb is you want a cage that is 2/3 the size of your boa in length and 1/3 the size of your boa in width and height. Being that you have a female, you are looking at having a boa that should reach about 8ft if fed regularly and the proper sized prey. Your boa may be a little bit longer or shorter, 8ft is just an approximate size for an adult female. A 4ft cage will probably be too small when she is that size, so you may want to consider upgrading later on down the road.

Jeff

Comment

8) Fonzy's got a very good point, my female is pressin 8ft which she should be at on the next shed , shes in a cage thats 6ft long by 4ft tall by 4ft wide and thats still not big enough for her. Shes between 4 to 5 yrs old, and shes growing like a weed. Now everyone is diffrent on there opinion and everyone houses there boas diffrent, but me i like giving my boas as much room as possible.. Il be building Delilah a wall size cage soon.. Females can get huge and they can get very girthy. Shes just a plain BCI that has never been bred and shes growing like no tomarrow. My argentine cross colombian is under a yr old and hes already pressin 4ft. Just my 2 cents worth and im sure there are plenty of other memebers here that will be along shortly to let you know what they think..

Comment

While bigger is generally better, an average adult boa (7 to 8 feet) can live comfortably in a 4X2X2 enclosure..

Adult boas spend about 90% of their time in a coiled position of some sort or fashion. So the 24 inch depth is probably as important as the overall width.

If you have the room and resources for a six foot, then by all means, go for it. But I have not seen any problems with adult boas in 4 foot enclosures.
        To gain knowledge is good, but to share knowledge is wise

-Best Regards
        -Clay English
        Founder Redtailboas.com 1998-2013

Comment

I do know alot of people who house boas in smaller enclosures, most are about 4ft length. but I like to give my boas as much room as I can. Which is why I am building a cage which is 6ft long x 2ft deep x 4.5 ft tall. That way they have plenty of room to decide on where they want to go. But then again, I am planning on for now housing 4 boas of different sizes in that enclosure. But my Ursula, a 7 ftr, is currently housed in a 55 gallon aquarium. She seems fine, but I want to give her more room to move around.

Comment

thanks for the input when she gets bigger i will build a 6' x2'x2' then i will just have to see how big she gets from there to see if i should go bigger. least i will have all the cages to take in some rescues if i run into any. lol thanks for the input again .

ANTHRAX

Comment

Working...
            X