This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help cageing

: hi i just whont to say hello to u all,i im new to thse web site! and i im geting 2 baby red tail boas soon,and i just got a big cage a 110 gl tank! and i was wording if any one can help me out with some info? i whont the cage to be as looking like in the wild! to make them fell at home more! any one got any info what shod i get for the cage and any pics might help????? plzz write back thanks :
    ::Reptileszoo::

Re:help cageing

Hello Reptilezoo,

Welcome to the forums..

Congrats on getting the new RTB soon.. As for housing them. You may want to consider moving out of glass aquariums to a wood or plastic type cage. Glass is real hard to keep the heat perfect and also very hard to control the humidity. Not to mention that size tank will not be able to house even one of those boas when they are full grown, and they grow fast..

As for ideas to make the tank as wild as possible. You may want to stick with the normal setups. The more things you have in there, the more thengs you will go nuts cleaning when the boas use the bathroom. To keep it natural as well as functional I would suggest you use Cyprus mulch or Bird and Reptile litte for the bedding. It looks real nice in the cages. Next you should have two hides, one for the cool side and one for the hot side, or two in the middle depending on what you want to do. You can use flower pots upside down with hols cut in the side and the top sealed, you can use those plant basket liners and set them up the same way as the pots. When the boas are small you can get the fake rock hides, or halfed hollowed wood etc.. You can even go to a craft store and get some fake plants. just check ever little part of them, make sure nothing sharp is poking up.. A nice climb stick that is secure works good as well...

Hope that helps
    Steve

Comment

hi thanks for wrteing back!
      i im allso looking for a pic to give me a id on it! wood you happing to have a pic? and thanks for the info
      plzz write back thanks
      ::reptileszoo::
      (sorry about spelling)lol

Comment

Hi Reptilezoo..

No problem.. i will see if I can take a few snaps of a cage or two for you. Just remember most of mine are simple setups.. The cage I am building I plan to get more into the decor..

Steve

Comment

Well, most people prefer simple yet functional setups. I myself like to have some nice decorations going. The basic things you will need inside of the cages are substrate, a water bowl, and some hides. Other creative things consist of rocks, branches, and artificial plants. I've seen a lot of nice setups, but have yet to mimic one. I find that using my own creative ideas and decorating the cage several times before I come to a solution works best for me. I should have some new pictures in the next week or so once my new digital camera arrives.

Comment

And before I forget, welcome to the site. Enjoy.

Comment

;thanks for all the help.i cant wetintell i see the pics! i got 23 snakes i eveing got 4 burms that are 2 of them are 14 foot!! and the outher 2 are 12 feet long!but haveing red tails boas are my first. and i get alot of help when it comes to them useing the bathroom lol,and i whont the cage to look relly nice something like you will see at the zoo lol,and i thank you people for helping me out thanks ;D
              ::reptileszoo:: :

Comment

8)Hello reptileszoo, wow you got some big burms there, i use to have a good 14ft burm, ran outa room and made a move so i no longer have him.. Anyways Xzylum is right use your own creative ideas.. Me i like lots fake vines and some fake plants also a background and i use huge branches or logs that have been stripped and cleaned and also attach the fake vines to that.. I use a indoor outdoor patio carpet thats very easy to clean and wash when soiled.. Il find the pic of my tiger retics cage and show it to ya on how i set up some of the cages... 8)

Comment

Hello Reptileszoo, and welcome to the forum. Myself, I am currently building a cage for my boas. Pretty much I'm just going to be placing a couple of shelves in for the boas, some fake vines, maybe a couple of fake plants in the top corners and a large container on the bottom full of water for soaking. But that's about all. I don't like too much clutter in the cage and I know my boas will pretty much crush, knock over and move most anything I put in the cage, especially Ursuala, my big 7ftr.

Comment

b29.gif thanks _karot that is what i im thanking of doing to. i relly thank u all for helping me. oh when you are done karot plzz post a pic so i can see b20.gif

Comment

oh and barracudas suggestion on the patio carpet is a dream!!! i switched to that and i absolutly LOVE IT i got enough to make 2 pieces for each of my three tanks and still had some left over and it only cost me 24 bucks lowes is great lol

Comment

8)Hey redtailedmel, what color did you choose?? I like the fact that i can vac it and also wash it and it dont take long to dry and the snakes like it.. easy on the bellies..hehehe!! Makes the cages look nice to.. ;D ;D

This is Seth my tiger retic on his carpet.. just got done soaking in his water tub.. ;D

Comment

And heres Delilah on hers its actuly a pretty dark green color.. This pic is when i first brung her home.. Alot better than when she was living in dirt..

Comment

hey there cuda what size is delilahs cage??

Comment

8) Her cage is 6ft long by 3ft wide by 4ft tall.. shes to big for her cage now even though she still has enough room to move around good so im upin her cage size soon, working on plans for a wall size cage for her... She just shedded and is now 8ft.. she keeps growing the way she is she just might make the 11ft mark by next summer.. ;D

Comment

Working...
                              X