X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems with Rhp

Hey Guys,

Figured I would give an update on how the new RHP is working out.. I have it in my 4x2x2 cage I made. Well to my disappoinment, it only maintained the ambiant air of the hot side to a mere 77.9.. So I am not happy with it. It does make the outside top 89 degrees alot of good that does me.. I should mention that besides the RHP I am running 2 foot Cobra UTH and that makes the floor temp 90..

So all in all, I wasted 40 bucks..

Sorry
    Steve

OK Steve. Here's the problem. I have a much larger cage than a 4x2x2. My cage is 6W x 2D x 4H. I was planning on using one of these RHP's, obviously that is out, due to what you experienced with your enclosures. What do you reccomend for that size of cage. Should I get a few of these RHP's or should I get a large wattage CHP, or perhaps a couple CHP's? I know that with CHP's I'll have to build a caging around them and I have the plans for that.

In case anyone is interested, here's a website that give's good instructions for building one: http://www.reptilesdownunder.com/rep...lightguard.pdf

Any suggestions so that I don't waste my money on something that just ain't worth it?

Re:Problems with Rhp

i haven't had any problems with my rhp in my 4x2x2 it keeps the air temp on the hot side at 90 with the 2' of heat tape i have underneath it then the cool side is nothing but a 100w red light that keeps the temp there at 85 which is good enough if u ask me but i don't know. LOL

Comment

Hey Evil,

Well depending on how fast you need to hook this up. I plan to get the 150 watter from Helix, the 150 large heat panel.. I do think that will work since the design and wattage is higher.. If I was to not use a RHP, I would go with a CHE.. I do use a CHE on one of the cages, but I am real learey about them. Those suckers get crazy hot. Just ask my wife who tapped on a blistered up, and my one finger is still trying to grow its finger print back..LOL If you do set up a CHE inside and use hardware cloth to space away from the CHE, just be careful to allow enough space so the metal doesn't heat up too much. I have this theroy that if I can't touch it, the snake shouldn't either..
      Alwso a thermostat, I am sure you planned on that, its more for someone else reading this..

And geeze Evil, thats not a cage, thats a spare bedroom..LOL

Steve

Comment

Hey Lee,

I think the extra bulb is making the difference.. If you ever run it without the bulb, I would be curious when temp it is after 24 hours..

Steve

Comment

Yeah, it's a huge cage, but I'm planning on houseing 4 boas in there. And one of them is Ursula!! We all know how large she is!!!! Do you have a link to that RHP you were talking about? If it works better than the Desert heat ones, then the money will even itself out!!!! I mean if I have to buy 2-3 of the other ones, I might as well buy one that will do the entire job for the same cost, ya know. How much are those helix ones?

Comment

Hey Evil,

Now keep in mind I have not used these, but talked with a breeder that had over 8k invested in these and was telling me some scarey stories about when he used the others.. The way the guy at Helix explained things to me, to test what size is needed. He said hook up a bulb with the same wattage as the RHP you are looking at and watch the temps. Even know the 100 watt light did fine, I am going for the RHP with 150 watts so it doesn't need to be on full juice all the time.. And yeah $136 is expensive for a RHP, but if they last for 10 years and are safer then the rest, its worth it..

Here is the link... http://helixcontrols.com/prod_radiant_heat_panels.htm

Hope that helps..

Steve

Comment

The way the guy at Helix explained things to me, to test what size is needed. He said hook up a bulb with the same wattage as the RHP you are looking at and watch the temps.

OK, so do I just hang a 150 watt light bulb in the cage and see how it warms the cage up, or what?

Comment

Hey evil,

That is exactly what I did. You will want to hang it from the same area you would put the RHP.. I figured about 120watts will work great in this cage. So next week I will order one and set it up.. One suggestion. Before you use any heater inside, they recomeen that it is ran on full over night without the snake, to allow any plastic burn off to happen and not stress the snakes.. I mentioed I would run the RHP for 24-48 hours on the outside of the cage, and they thought it would be a good thing..

Steve

Comment

that is a good idea steve never thought of that.....

LEE

Comment

Lee and I were talking about heating this cage and we thought of something that I wanted to go over with you Steve.
                    On the top of the cage I already have 2 holes cut out that I was going to place Heat lamps in. The original plan was to place a screen on the under side of the holes, then place the heat lamps on the screens, through the holes. Then to hold the lamps in place, I was going to place 2x2's around the border of the hole to create a box to hold them in place. Now I didn't even think about it until Lee and I were talking. A couple of my heat lamps are CHE compatible. Do you think that If I did that plan, but instead of using Heating bulbs, I used a CHE in one or both lamps, that would probably work to heat the cage. And if so, how big of a CHE should I use?

Comment

Hey Evil,

Sorry the reply took so long. I have been busy with the rescue lizards below..

I think that would work as long as the receptical can handle that high of a wattage.. I would think for a 4 foot high cage your gonna need to use a 250 CHE and maybe a 150 on the other side to make a difference that will work. Just make sure the receptical you plug it into is ceramic and rated for 250-300 watt. Last thing you need is a fire.. If you go with that plan, make sure the CHE is far enough away from anything wood, another possible fire hazard.I would cut the holes so it gives some extra space around the CHE or the metal cover. I would even go to HomeDepot and get some ceramic tiles and let the metal lid sid just about the screen you will be using.. It will still get hot enough to give a bad bure, but it will be a few degrees cooler.. Beofe you spend a ton on the CHJE's, try getting bulbs of the same wattage you mentioned and run them over night to see the temps, remember to add 5 degrees to what you see. CHE's produce more heat then glass bulbs..

I did something like you mentioned with a double decker tank. The way I did the screen was real simple. I measured the reflector size, cut a round hole that was the same size. Then I used a chisel to cut a square of wood outabout 2 inches bigger then the hold and only half way through the wood. Layed the screen in it, glued it tight while using some finish nails to hold it tight. Then I layed some wood over the screen in the chisles out area, some Construction glue, some wood fill and all done. I used heavey gauge 1/4 hardware cloth for the screen.. Worked well..

Let me know if I made any sence. It is 4am after a, long day..

Steve

Comment

Most of it made sense, but this part,

I did something like you mentioned with a double decker tank. The way I did the screen was real simple. I measured the reflector size, cut a round hole that was the same size. Then I used a chisel to cut a square of wood outabout 2 inches bigger then the hold and only half way through the wood. Layed the screen in it, glued it tight while using some finish nails to hold it tight. Then I layed some wood over the screen in the chisles out area, some Construction glue, some wood fill and all done. I used heavey gauge 1/4 hardware cloth for the screen.. Worked well..
                        didn't make much sense!! I think I understood most of it, but I'm not sure. If you could explain again, I'd appreciate it. Hey, I understand about not having time to post when you have those skinks to care for. Hope they make it OK.

Comment

Sorry Evil,

Its been real long days..

I basically put the screen in the middle of the wood so it looks like it is on the center of the wood instead of on the inside or the outside.. Almost the way screen would look if it was sandwiched between two boards..

Let me know if that is any clearer>>LOL

Steve

Comment

Yeah, thanks Steve, Now I get it.

Comment

[quote author=sclark link=board=9;threadid=2804;start=msg19832#msg19832 date=1059379137]
                              Hey Evil,

I think that would work as long as the receptical can handle that high of a wattage.. I would think for a 4 foot high cage your gonna need to use a 250 CHE and maybe a 150 on the other side to make a difference that will work. [/quote]

WOW...That's 400 watts to heat a cage! Seems pretty high to me. I used to have a 4' x 3' x 2' that was heated with 150 watts no problem. The question I have is where are you measuring temps? I don't worry much about ambiant air temp, I measure just above the floor of the cage.

Just adding my 2 cents!

Larry

Comment

Working...
                              X