X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hygrometers

Hey,

I was just wondering what everyone out there was using to guage humidity with. Does anyone use the ZooMed analog guages? I was wondering how accurate everyone thought these were. I need to know what to use so I can of course get the right conditions for my boa, so telling me the guages that aren't good if there are any would be helpful too. Thanks guys.

Your Fellow Herper,

Jeremy

Re:hygrometers

go to wal mart and in the section in the back where the light bulbs and stuff are look for the isle with the temp. gauges there is one for like 12-14 depending on your walmart that has digital temp and humidity it works great i have 2 of them one on each end of my tank but you dont need 2 my tank is just almost 8 ft long. they have a sensor too that is for outdoor temp too i use it to get my teps above for basking areas and i placed the actual unit as close the ground as i could get to get a good ground temp. all in all its well worht the investment.

Comment

Ditto on what redtailedmel said. Thats the kind I use. I am not a fan of the Zoomed temp and humidity guages. I find them to be off alot..

Steve

Comment

I all so use thw WAL-MART gauges. The one gauge you want to stay away from is the stick on gauges! They suck.

TAT 8)

Comment

Walmart gauges here too! The one I like is around $15 and displays the inside temp, outside temp, and humidity at the same time. It also has a memory for min/max temps and min/max humidity levels.
          The memory feature is a very big help when I am setting up cages before putting residents in. It allowed me to see where the temps peaked during the day while I am at work and the sun is coming in the windows in the snake room. It may have actually saved a life.... I was preparing a new melamine cage and set a rheostat hooked up to a CHE at a nice comfortable eighty three degrees one night, the plan was to let the cage "run" for a day or two to see what happened with the temps and humidity. When I got home I checked the memory on the thermometer and found that sometime during the day the sun coming in the window and hitting the black paint on the cage had caused the temps on the hot side to spike over 100°!!!! It is amazing what a difference color can make on a cage! I moved the cage to the other side of the room and everything is fine now!
          The moral of the story... Setup a cage prior to putting a snake in, and pay the extra money for a good thermometer, stay away from those cheap analogs!

Comment

Hey,

Thanks guys, unfortuantely, I already had bought a couple of the analog guages, but they'll be going out of the cage. I had already bought 2 different types of digital thermometers/hygrometers, one from Wal-Mart, the other from Lowe's. I had a question about the one from Wal-Mart that I got, which was also about $15. Do y'all just put the probe in the enclosure, or do you actually put the whole base unit in there? I was wondering, b/c when I bought the guage, I thought the probe would measure humidity too, but I'm not sure it does. Also, one other unrelated question. Where do you guys put your hide boxes at? On the hot/cool end, the middle, etc.? Thanks guys. Later.

Your Fellow Herper,

Jeremy

Comment

Epimeno..........

That sounds like the gauge I got. It doesn't tell humidity just indoor/outdoor temps. I put the base unit 2 inches off the bottom of the tank, then the little stick up probe, I set on the opposite side of the cage. I cover the wire with my snakes carpet, but I'm not sure what other things people do to hide the wire.

As for the hide boxes, it depends on your snake. Some snakes will go inside the hide box no matter what. With my 3, they would not go into their hide boxes if it was too hot or too cold. So I started closer to the hot side and moved it as I watched my snakes choosing other places. Like one snake loves her's on the hot side. The other 2 like it right in between the hot and cool. Some people that have big enough enclosure's have 2 hide's; one on the hot side one on the cool......... I hope I helped at least a little bit.

**Beth**

Comment

Hey,

I appreciate the input guys, I'm doing away w/ the ZooMed guages and placing the digital units in the enclosure. At first I wasn't sure about whether it was smart to place the actual unit in the enclosure, b/c of the humidity. But I've put them in there and they're fine. I also have another question. I have a 20-gal high tank, I heat it w/ a 100-watt red bulb, and a little over 1/3 of the cage top is covered w/ a damp towel. The heat's controlled by the electronic herp thermostat I bought from Big Apple Herp., and there's like a 9-watt cobra heat mat under the tank on the hot side. The problem is that my boa stays on the cool end of the tank, which is right around 80, and the hot end is only about 89. The thing is though, that the humidity is like 35% on the hot end when the bulb is on for a while, but when the bulb is clicked off by the thermostat, the humidity rises up to 50%. The water dish is pretty big, and it's pretty much directly under the lamp On the cool side, the humidity ranges from 45%-65% depending on the light being on or not. I'm wondering why the she won't go in her hide, which was at first on the hot side, but then moved to the cool side when I noticed she wouldn't go to the hot side. She just stays between the hide and the wall now. Does anyone know what could be going on here? I fed her today, so that's good, but I want to fix whatever I need to fix, and I know I need to keep the humidity more constant on the hot side, but I'm not sure how. I know there are UTH's and that could help me change to a lower wattage bulb, but I don't know what size to get for my tank. It's 24"x12" on the bottom. Any suggestions would be great. I want my girl to be as comfortable as she can be. Thanks a lot guys. Thanks Beth for your help too.

Your Fellow Herper,

Jeremy

Comment

I use the wal-mart type too...
                  And I put the hole thing in the cage...
                  ERic aka....Red

Comment

I have to agree with the others. The dials are really not all that accurate. I use all digital myself. They work really great and are pretty cheap.

Comment

YUP I GOT THREE WALMART ONES AND LOVE THEM THEY WORK GOOD!!!!!

WOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOO MY 600TH POST

LEE

Comment

Radio Shack also has a bunch you can choose from. I use the digital thermo hygro and it works real well. my boa is thriving and i rely on it to be accurate

Comment

I agree with lee, the wal-mart ones are awsome and there only 14.88!!! Heres a pic of it.

Comment

Hi Epimeno,

First a 20 high tank is noting more then a high 10 gallon, too small for your boa.. Even too small aas a starter for a baby boa.. The space on the floor doesn't provide a large enough area to make a truly gradiant area. If your boa is a baby, you could start it off with a 20 long. And use a 12" UTH and maybe a 60 watt CHE over top. Just make sure to get the temps right before putting the snake in..

The reason for the humidity change it two factors. Heat and air flow. both will change the humidity level in your tank.. If you do move up to a bigger tank and you should, try putting two small hides, one at each end. Some snakes love hides, others don't. Some like to hide under the bedding.. Let your boa choose and don't worry. If you see you boa always squished against the wall on the cool sides, double check your temps soon. Even good temp guages can break and not be right..

Good Luck
                            Steve

Comment

Hey,

Thanks guys for all the input. I have those digital thermometers/hygrometers in the tank now. The humidity is fine in there, and the temps (during the day) are reading at about 91 or so on the hot side and around 81 on the cool side. I plan on having the bigger enclosure built as soon as possible. Thanks for all the suggestions and input again!

Your Fellow Herper,

Jeremy

Comment

Working...
                              X