This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heat Tape on wooden cage?

How would you install heat tape on a wooden cage? i have it all put together but dont know how to put it on the cage? DUCT TAPE? ??? ??? ???

Re:Heat Tape on wooden cage?

Hey Xander,

Yup duct tape under the wooden cage will work. Thats what I used.. Its on the bottom so no one see's it..

Steve

Comment

They also make Aluminum tape to attatch it to the bottom of the cage.

Comment

yea i bought some aluminum tape for my heat tape cuz i know that heat tape burns hot and even with a thermostat hard telling what would happen to the duct tape cuz u know it has to be at least 85-90 degrees in the cage just think of touching that heat tape with it that hot and duct tape could melt in my opinion lol plust the heat tape is only like .25 a foot u could even get it at a local hardware store more than likely. just my opinion but that is what i have and it is holding against the wood pretty good.

LEE

Comment

Thats a pretty good idea. I never thought about aluminum tape. That stuff would work great cuz thats what they use to tape up heating duct for furnaces and dryers. Great Idea. 8)

Comment

So is heat tape generally used for the floor of the enclosure? Is it put under the substrate? In my case carpet. Or under the whole enclosure? So how does it work? As insulation? I have no idea what it is........... :P

**Beth**

Comment

Hey Beth.. The heat tape is the same as an UTH.. Just goes under the whole tank..
              Just like the cobra heat mats you get in the pet shop..
              Hope that helps..
              Steve

Comment

Ohhhhhhh, okay, I see. Yeah that helps a lot. Thanks Steve.

**Beth**

Comment

Just make sure you have some airflow under the cage you out it on.. I put small pegs on each corner..

Steve

Comment

yes make sure u have some breathing room for the heat tape if not it could result in fire. At the very least make sure u have at least 1/2 inch of breathing room under the tank. hope this helps.

LEE

Comment

So if my cage sit's on the floor (carpet), I put it under the wood? The bottom of the cage sit's like 3-4 inches of of the carpet, is that good enough? So you can get it at any hardware store? It it all different sizes? It's just called "heat tape"? Sorry for all the question's. Since the weather is cooling down, I need to start thinking of ways to warm up these new cage's.

**Beth**

Comment

Hey Beth,

3-4 inches is plenty of air flow room.. Don't use the heat tape in hardware stores, that is for pipes.. Go to bigapple herps online or beanFarm.com and get the widest width you take will hold.. Get it by the foot and get ha;f the lenth of your cage.. Just make sure to get the wire and clip set with it.. Its all pretty cheap..

Hope that helps
                        Steve

Comment

So I should cover half of the bottom of the cage with it? I will check it out, thanks Steve.

**Beth**

Comment

Yup Beth.. For example, all my 4 foot cages have 2 foot of heat tape on one side..

Steve

Comment

You'll also need a thermastat or a rheostat for that heat tape too. I saw a pic on how to do the wireing. Don't you need a special tool for that steve? Thats what they were calling for. I guess its for making the connections.

Comment

Working...
                              X