This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• uth's on wooden tanks

So, spured into creative mode by the picture that dblhet posted of his new tanks, I have drafted something similar, except with 5 enclosures, not 6. My question is, is it safe to put a uth inside the compartments on the floor, instead of underneath, as I'll have no other way (that I know of) to have a heat source in there. Is it ok to put them on the inside, as wouldn't it be the same temp inside on the bottom as underneath on the bottom? It would be covered with newspapers or some other substrate. This is the best I can do without being able to upload the draft

| | |
    |---------------------------| |
    | |__________________|
    | | |
    | | |
    |_________________|__________________|
    | |
    |____________________________________|

The long bottom part will be for storage, and the other 5 compartments will be for snakes. It will be possible to put the uth under the bottom two places, but the rest are cellings as well, and I don't know if it'd be safe on the roof of a tank. So that is why I am thinking on the bottom might be ok. So far, my main idea for building materials is wood(not sure what type yet) and plexiglass for the doors. What do you all think, and if it's not ok to have them on the bottom(inside tank), what would you recommend I use instead to heat them? The large ones are going to be 4'x3'x2', the smaller ones will be 4'x2'x2', the storage will be 8'x2'x1'

Crystal

Re:uth's on wooden tanks

well,.......in my opinion you can use human heating pads, place newspaper at the bottom, then a layer of aluminum foil then newspaper again. The aluminum foil will help radiate heat up and not let most of it absorbe into the wood below, wasting heat. I assume that that is a good way to do the uth inside. For the top layer i would use like a indoor/outdoor carpet. Its easy to take out and clean and looks good but if not plain ol newspaper would be fine. Just make sure that the top layer of newspaper is like 2-3 sheets thick.

Comment

hello thalia,

My question is, is it safe to put a uth inside the compartments on the floor, instead of underneath

to answer that question NO it is not ok to put the uth on the inside of ur cages they will burn to hot to the touch even with a thermostat it will burn the boas (or other snakes) quickly and cause health problems as well from the blisters. not worth the risk.

nice cage plans though i like!! let us know how they turn out !!

hope this helps

LEE

Comment

:-\Umm Lee you can put human heatting pads on the inside of a wooden cage if done right and set on low, i have never had a human heatting pad burn or start a fire in a wooden cage if put in there the right way, jays sugestions is pretty good and works very well, the human heatting pad on low setting will give enough heat without burnning the paper or the carpet or the snake and the carpet radiates the heat spread out.. I dont care what anyone says you aint got to have special things you can use other things and i have been for over 20yrs and never have i had a prob!! My 2 cents worth...

Comment

Cuida think you misuderstood Lee's post.. He said no to the under the tank heater inside the cage and he is right, not the heating pad part Jay mentioned..

Just wanted to clear that up for the poster..

Steve

Comment

cuda i know u can put human heating pads on the inside of the tanks i have used them on my temp tanks lol i was meaning more of the lines of heat tape (uth) that u get at the petstores like petco lol and jay is right u can use human heating pads but please don't put heat tape or uth in the cage with the snakes please.

LEE

Comment

I use a human heating pad also in my snakes wooden cage. I put it under her carpet.

**Beth**

Comment

rightio, thanx guys. I will post pics when it is done, but I estimate aprox 6 month time frame to do everything right and get the materials I want, as well as fine-tuning the blueprint.

Crystal

Comment

No prob. Thats what were here for. 8)

Comment

Working...
                  X