This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I build a cage???

I'm currently using a 40 gal aquarium tank for my baby. It has half screen, half glass on top, so it seems to hold humidity and heat pretty well so far. But I know little Sid is going to outgrow it in a short amount of time. I'd love to get some ideas as to a good looking, easy to build, and quality way to build my own cages. I know I've seen some pics of some very nice looking enclosures, and I'd love to learn how to do it. Thanks.
    Ted

Re:How do I build a cage???

Hey ToFu,

Sorry gonna take the short cut here..

Here is the last cage I built from start to finish..

http://forum.redtailboas.com/index.p...;threadid=2307

Hope it helps..
    Steve

Comment

Thanks Steve!

Comment

Did you just attach the heat source directy to the wood on the floor??

Comment

I have 2 foor of 22" flexwatt under the cage, a radiant heat panel inside on the ceiling..

Hope that helps
          Steve

Comment

Hmmmmm.......never been much of a carpenter, but I think I'll give it a try. Maybe with plywood. Sounds like a fun project. Spot could use a new cage.

Comment

Sorry that was supposed to be 2 foot of flexwatt heat tape under one side of the cage.. Building it is a lot of work. if you enjoy wood working it can be fun and stressful..LOL

Steve

Comment

Just to put my 2 cents in since i'm in the middle of my build right now, if you were to use plywood cause your on a budget, make sure it's BC grade Pine Plywood. It should only be 19 bucks for a 8' x 4' x 3/4 in sheet. My high horsed *BLEEP* use expensive oak but I have to say, taking my time and doing it right is paying off using the oak. Also with plywood, if you really want it to last a long time without warping or swelling because of the humidity, I'de put 5-10 coats of that water based palycrylic. It's kinda expensive but if you want to build it right the first time that's what i'de do. One gallon should do at least 6-7 coats. You could also use Melamine which you wouldn't have to use the sealer but you will still have to seal the edges inside the enclosure with 100% silicone. Hope this helped. I'll be posting my pics of the build of my enclosure shortly. I'm just about wrapping it up. Look for it. 8)

Comment

wow jay 50 coats, I thought my 10 was alot..LOL

I know you meant 5-10 coats./..

If you can swing A/B plywood even better, less sanding and little to no knots..

Steve

Comment

LOL steve, yea, had to fix that little error. LMAO 8)

Comment

Welcome to the wonderful world of building enclosures. There are many options and the ideas are flawless. Plan ahead and let us know what you are looking forward to building as we will be able to help you better along the way. Measure twice and cut once and always cut as you go, I think Jay learned that himself.

Comment

LOL xzylum. Yea, XZ is right, cut as you go. But you know what, it all worked out in the end xz. I'm posting some pics today. Almost finished, i have the outside to finish and a few odds and in's to tighten up then it will be done. 8)

Comment

That Flexwatt heat tape sounds like great stuff, but I was reading a topic posted on the topic and it sounds like I may have trouble getting the heat to transfer through wood that's coated with melamine. Is this something you guys have run across?? And if so, would it work well to just put a heat panel (like the desert rays) under the substrate?? Thanks for all your help everyone. I'm doing some brainstorming 'cause I'd like to get started building a cage for my ball python. Then if that goes well, I'll build another for when my boa starts to outgrow his tank.

Comment

Oops. Meant to say "topic posted on the product". Duh.

Comment

Duh......it just occured to me that melamine is a type of board, not necessarily a coating. You can all ignore that last question if you like.

Comment

Working...
                              X