This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pic's of my Enclosures

http://www.cagesbydesign.com has awesome set ups available. ......

Scott

Re:Enclosures

Nice big cages... whats in the? I always thought those would make nice lizards cages. Most boas don't climb alot once they hit 7-9 foot.. But real nice setups..

Steve

Comment

Re:Pic's of my Enclosures

I have two pythons on the left side, 2 boas on the right. When the boas get to the size you're talking about I'll join those two cages into one, then buy another section for the pythons. And my boas climb all over the place. They hang from the upper basking shelves like green tree boa's, lol. It's really cool. they love it! At night when the red lights are on the cages look really sweet. I'll try to get a photo up when I can..............Scott

Comment

Yeah the young ones llove to climb.. Looks like they have a full amusment park going on in there...

Steve

Comment

one other thing.. That cage is gonna be a week long project to clean... Looks good though..

Steve

Comment

Well Steve, we clean the substrate as often as needed when they make their dodo's, but we totally remove, clean and disinfect about every three months. For both cages it only takes my wife and I about 4 hours or so, it's not to bad. Looks like more than it is I guess, and me being a Marine has helped me master the art of cleanliness, lol.

Comment

well put Scott..

Just pictured my boa Tear taking a poop off the ledge.. That would be a nightmare...LOL

Good luck with them..

Steve

Comment

Thanks Steve, I just took some current pic's of my cages and I'm uploading them to my website now. Once it's done I'm going to post a few more recent and better quality pics. I do love those cages. You should check out that site http://www.cagesbydesign.com and take a look at some of their set ups. They cost me over $2,000.00 but it was money well spent. Good luck to you and your babies to. I heard that these boas could grow to 9 feet! My buddy said that once they get that big their poop looks like a Saint Bernard took a dump instead of a snake, lol............Scott

Comment

Nice cages, alot of money, but heck if you got it... spend it.

Comment

Thx weLsh

Comment

Hey Scott,

Yeah some girls can hit 9 foot. My surinam babies will get bigger then that. The mom for the boy was almost 12 foot and weighed close to 100 pounds.. My biggest BCI is just over 8 foot.. And your friend was right, gonna look like a giant dog visited your cage..LOL

Steve

Comment

WOW ! So Steve how long does it take for these boa's to grow to their full potential? And with a snake that big did you ever feel scared to handle it? I try to handle my snakes at least a couple times a week (doesnt always happen) while they're little so when they're full grown adults they dont swallow my children, lol. My boas have grown a lot since I've bought them but It seems like they'll never get to be BIG snakes. Maybe that has to due with feeding or something. Anyway, the guy at the store where I got mine said they would never get over 7ft. I'd be freaked out to have a 100 pound snake, what the heck do you feed it, a full grown Lamb? lol...later............Scott

Comment

Hey Scott,

The snakes that could hit 100 pounds are the BCC Surinam boas.. The Columbian averages about 40 pounds and 8 foot if its a female. The males will be 6.5 foot on average.. And weight about 20 pounds.. I stick to rats and rabbits. No power feeding for me.. it no good for the snakes health.. Snakes grow all their life, but they get real close to full size the first 4 years.. year 2 and 3 they do the most growing..

As for getting fear holding snakes.. With me I deal with so many snakes, to be honest the fear is long past. I used to get a rush fear years back, but now I deal with so many giant snakes with the rescue and most are not tame at all. When it comes to my snakes, they are like scarfs.... Most of my snakes visit schools with me. I find them very predictable.. I also try to work with each snake 3 times a week to keep them tame..

Steve

Comment

Sounds like you are very knowledgeable and experienced with snakes, I'm still learning all I can. It seems I learn something new everyday, lol. I appreciate the advice you're giving, I love my snakes a lot and I can't ever imagine being afraid of them. But I have been bit a few times by both my boas and one of my pythons, doesn't hurt like I thought it would so it's made me more comfortable handling them. They are very docile and I think they'll just become even more so over time. If you don't mind answering another question I was told that if you have a M/F pair of snakes housed together all the time the probably wont mate, is this true? I really dont want them to mate. Is there a way to prevent this other than seperating them? Thanks.................Scott

Comment

So I checked out those four paws ones... Ya' man those suck...
                              Come to think of it now I bet that is the problem right there...
                              Get the digital ones... they have ones that do the humidity and temp indoor out door(hot side cool side)
                              They cost about 15 bucks man...
                              you get them at wal-mart.. They work great almost every body here uses them...
                              Eric aka...Red

Comment

Working...
                              X