This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In door out door carpet

Well I tried it in my Boaphiles and come to find out I don't like the stuff. So instead of throwing it away I for another use for it. I just put it one top of this cool table I built to stoer stuff in. I thnk it adds a little something to the table if you ask me.

Re:In door out door carpet

Do you have a little cave or something for your boa to retreat into? Also, wheres the lighting/heating located at in those cages? And what kind of substrate is that? Didn't mean for that to sound like an interigation, haha........Scott

Comment

The Boaphile's come with heat preinstalled if you wish. The low watage heat tape is on the left side of the cage in the floor. There are no lights in the cage. I use the light from the window for the day night cycle. The substrate is shreded aspenon top of a few layers of news paper. I don't have hides in there because as my snakes have gotten bigger there stoped useing them as much.

TAT

Comment

I thought aspen was the last thing you were supposed to use as substrate, and I also read that hides are very important for the snakes overall health and to reduce stress. Being nocturnal they need somewhere to go during the day to hide and feel safe. Mine are in their caves all day and as soon as I turn off their day bulbs and put the red lights on they are out all night screwing around. I haven't noticed any stunted growth with mine being in caves all day, I thought it was a very important part of their cycle. At least from all the stuff I've read thats what I've believed. Kinda sux not to see them at all during the day tho unless I pull them out to hang with them for a while.

Comment

My bad it's CEDAR thats a no, no, not Aspen, lol................Scott

Comment

If you read the post a lil' more carful he had said his stopped using them....
            Mine like there hides... My rosy boa how ever has them does not touch them at all.. Snakes have there own idea about what is good and bad...
            Those cages are perty bigg.. 4L X 2W X 17 1/2T At least that is what I think they are... So those snakes are perty bigg.. Not stunnted... hehe... have a good one
            Hope I helped you out..
            Eric aka...red

Comment

Well I just think it should be up to the snake if he wants to go in a hide or not, I think it should be in there just in case, can't hurt...

Comment

Ya' but some Just don't use them..
                they feel secure.. you know.. There is no bright light in the cages but your cages have lights makes a bit of a difference.. But I always offer hides as well.. Just so you know..
                But alot of people don't it is a perty common practice once a boa is grownen up...
                Eric aka...Red

Comment

I took out he hides because like I said they stoped useing them. They spent more time under the aspen. They curse around day and night. They really love the aspen.

TAT 8)

Comment

Hey predator, just think. If you have a fully grown boa for instance, there is no way you will find a hide for that thing. As boas get bigger they tend to use the hide less and even if it did wanna hide, you'de have to prefab one yourself cuse there are no hides on the market, that I know of, that will house a large or even fully grown boa.

When a boa gets to the 5-6 foot mark, if it wanted to hide it would just go under the substrate. It's not uncommon. My girl used to do that all the time untill I fabed her one myself for her to hide in and even then, when she gets a little bigger, theres no way I'll be able to find her a prebuilt hide for her. So if you feel that your snake needs a hide, plan on building her one when she gets older. Hope this sheds a little light. 8)

Comment

ok, I know you guys are talking about boa's here, but I would like to say my corn snake, who's only 7 months old, never uses a hide. I have tried many different kinds of pre-made ones, and have made many myself. She doesn't like any of them, prefers the plants or under the newspaper. That's even with a light on the tank. It's just her preference. So I think, as long as the snake feels comfortable not using a hide, why waste the space having one in there?

Crystal

Comment

It is upto the snake, and has alot to do with how much traffic passes the snakes.. Now all my snakes have hides, yeah even the big girls, Tear at over 8 foot and as thick as a softball and Midnight at 7 1/2 foor and between a baseball and softball. They all use their hides off and on. Always the day they eat. And during the day whe things are too bright. But they are out checking the tank and basking more then hiding.. All my big hides are made by me and it also acts as a shelf, they love coiling up on.. I personally think hades are important for snakes. Even if you never see them in it. Just always have the option if they choose to..

Steve

Comment

As snake owners we know that each snake has their own personality. My personal experience is this: My 4 month old does not like hides, he stays in a tree branch to sleep. My 2 1/2 year old just barely started using a hide a few months ago. My 5 year old has used her hide for the 18 months that I've had her. So I guess it totally does depend on the snake. My 5 year old is almost 7 foot long. Using a cardboard box, I cut the leaves off, turned it upside down, cut a horseshoe shaped door and hot glued indoor/outddor carpet to the ouside to match her subsrtate. It's cheap and easy. It looks pretty darned good too. Just my two cents.

Tatdaddy, at least you tried it. I love the carpet, but if it's not for you then thats okay too. Is that black that you tried? Mine is really light grey. Maybe it was just tto much black huh? Or did you not like the clean up or look?

**Beth**

Comment

Bmoore it eas dark green carept. The thing that I didn't like was the bottm of the stuff would fall off in the cage and I was worried about it getting in between the belly scale's of one of my snakes. Let me better explane the bottm stuff. The glue that holds the carpet together. the stuff was like sand in the bottom of my cages. That and I came home to find my female under the carpet ??? I was a little worried. At any rate I have gone back to the news papper and aspen substrate.

As for the clean up that was the cool part. I just pulled the stuff out cleaned the cage, then took the soiled pieace out side and hosed it down after cleaning it with a 10% bleach water mix. Let it dry and it was cool. I just felt that my snakes liked the aspen better then the carpet. Well Hope to see you st he show in Nov.!

TAT 8)

Comment

Yeah I definetly plan on going! I know what you mean about the glue on the underside of the carpet. Mine do not go underneath usually........ But hey, you gave it a try right!

**Beth**

Comment

Working...
                              X