X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• too big of a cage?

hi,

Is there such thing as too big of a cage? i want to get a baby and put her in a 4 ft tank and then add on to it as much as i can as soon as i can. is that bad, or should i wait till it grows to add on? thanks

Re:too big of a cage?

I'll tell ya what's been recommended to me. Your boa is not going to stay small long, so get the biggest cage you can afford. That way you don't have to spend a bunch of money everytime it grows. Just make sure you have a couple of good, small hide boxes so it feels secure. I have my baby in a 40 gal tank which should be okay for his first year, but you better believe I'll be starting to build one that can contain him at full size in no time.

Comment

Too big of a cage can stress the animal. You can use a cage that is too big for a snake at it's current size but make sure you put more than just a couple of hides in it. You will want to fill it up with all kinds of plants or hides and such to fill up the room and insure the snake feels secure. As the snake grows you can remove things as needed to make more room for the snake itself.

I have done this myself with a tiny little JCP in which I only had a good sized Vision enclosure to use. I put silk plants all over the place as hides along with two hides, her water dish, climbing branches, etc. This gave her a place to hide anywhere she went in the cage and she really did well with this setup.

So if you do use an enclosure that is too big for a snake, I highly suggest putting a lot of silk plants and hides in and slowly removing them as the snake grows.

Comment

Hey,

I have talked to many other keepers, and I've never come across anyone who's said they put any stock in the idea of stressing a snake out from too large of a cage. Now I do agree that if one was thrown in an empty cage w/ no hides, then that could very well stress/upset the snake, due to feeling insecure, but as far as a snake having too much room, it just doesn't make sense.

Your Fellow Herper,

Jeremy

Comment

Working...
        X