This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• driftwood

I went down to the beach last night and picked up some nice pieces of driftwood that I would like to put in with the snakes so they have something to climb on. I've looked into what's commercialy available, but I everything I've seen has been inadequate and extremely expensive. I don't want to go with the plain wooden rods from the lumber yard, because they are too smooth and have no character. I am wondering if it is ok to use the driftwood with the snakes. Some of the wood is arbutus, the rest I don't know about. Would I want to douse the branches with boiling water to kill any bugs that might be in them? Or should I just spray it with clear silicone stuff? I'd prefer not to have to seal them at all, as they'll loose some traction when smooth. Put them in a sauna for a few hours to kill possible bugs? Any suggestions?

Thanx, Crystal

*edit* I saw Steve's post about soaking for 1hr with 1:10 bleach/water mix, am still wondering if it is ok to put them in there if I don't know the type of wood. They don't look like cedar, but then most driftwood looks the same after a while :-\

Re:driftwood

Hey Thalia,

Good question.. If you can boil it for an 30 min full boil, that would be great.. if not.. Get a bucket or wheel barrle depending how big the wood is and and soak for atleast an hour in 10% bleach water mix.. After soaking, wash with lots of clean water.. Let dry and put in oven on like 250 for 45 mins or so.. Let fully cool over night. Use silicone to seal any holes the boa could get inside the wood or hurt himself, also carve off all sharp or jagged edges..

Hope this helps..
    Steve

Comment

some of them won't fit in the oven, they're up to 3' long. I can put them in the sauna tho, that goes up to 200 (I think) aprox how long you think at that temp? 75min?

Crystal

Comment

Hmm.. 220 is boiling if I remember right.. Maybe just try soaking them in a blach mix, and leave it under the mix over night, and then let it dry, make sure to soak it down good with a hose.. Then dry fully, seal the holes.. and should be fine.. if you want you could seal the wood with Polycrilic maybe 4 coats, fully dry and air out for 2 weeks.. Just make sure its dry after the bleach wash before you out the sealer on..
        Steve

Comment

k, thanx
          Crystal

Comment

NP..
            Steve

Comment

All the driftwood I pick up from outdoor, I clean all the particles out, soak it, then bake it if possible. After all that is done, I usually apply a couple coats of polycrylic to seal the wood. Looks nice if you ask me.

Comment

Man, wish driftwood was that easy to come by where I'm at. I'de have a field day. Could use some too for my new enclosure come to think about it. LOL

Comment

Working...
                X