Melamine Cages or Buy PVC Cage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Melamine Cages or Buy PVC Cage

So I am in a bit of a pickle and I need someone else to help me decide what I should do.

A little about me. I am handy and have the means to make my own stuff. I do not want to start building cages and have 5 different materials or manufacturers of cages in my house. I plan to finish my basement with a full wood shop, a theater room, and a snake room in a few years. I will never move this stuff once its in place and I won't have trouble if I need to. I have Boamaster stuff now and I have been very happy with it. I LOVE the thermal properties of Melamine and do not mind the weight. I have no experience with PVC but I am open to something new. If I go PVC I will purchase because its easier than me building it.

Option #1

Go Boamaster at $140 for white melamine. This is what I have and I am happy with it EXCEPT the plywood front I do not find appealing. I have no litter dam, and its not a sliding door. But they are utilitarian and do a fine job at what they are designed for. These are also available in Black for a bit more.

Option # 2

PVC cage picked up at a show from Reptile Basics. Forgot the local p/up price but is was not much more than $200

Option # 3

Build my own Black Melamine cage with what feature I want, litter dam, sliding double door track, etc. Looking about $150 for a single and price goes down as I fabricate more.

I am really torn and have leaned strongly on all three over the last month. The hardest thing for me is that I do not want to buy 1, then build one, then get a boaphile fat staxx, then a monster cage, and so on. I want to standardize on one style, even if its my own design.

Re: Melamine Cages or Buy PVC Cage

I definately say pvc. Melamine is good and lasts a while but eventually the moisture will get to it and cause problems. If melamine is not sealed right I personally think it is a breeding haven for mites. Im a Boaphile guy all the way.

Comment

Option #4 A Boaphile 421D.

Personally I have a hodgepodge of stuff for now. Eventually, I'll have all matching racks and cages...

-Sean in NoCal
      “Americanism means the virtues of courage, honor, justice, truth, sincerity, and hardihood – the virtues that made America.”
      -Teddy Roosevelt.

Comment

Boaphile guy here also. Just can't beat a great cage, excellent customer service, and the fun of Jeff on the phone. I ordered another 1 today.

Comment

Do you feel that other cages like for example the Reptile Basics I was going to get, are not as good as Boaphile? They seem like a better value.

Comment

Originally posted by nediver View Post
            Do you feel that other cages like for example the Reptile Basics I was going to get, are not as good as Boaphile? They seem like a better value.
            Once you install heat and have them shipped they are not a better value in my opinion.

Comment

Ya price for price they are close, however customer service, all the little knowledge and info you get from Jeff and he almost always answers the phone and will help with problems or issues you are having. He has been great with helping me with the temp in colorado and my everchanging room temps as the effect my cages. you get what ya pay for......

Comment

Yeah I say if you are going to go and spend that much to make a tank you should just go with a boaphile. They are awesome and you can get a 421D for $209 and just a little more to get flexwatt with it. They are great looking tanks and will compliment your future boa room.

Comment

www.boaphileplastics.com

Comment

[QUOTE=chaosboa;401155]Yeah I say if you are going to go and spend that much to make a tank you should just go with a boaphile. They are awesome and you can get a 421D for $209 and just a little more to get flexwatt with it. They are great looking tanks and will compliment your future boa room.[/QUOTE

I did not realize I could get the base cage for this price.

Comment

Originally posted by chaosboa View Post
                      Yeah I say if you are going to go and spend that much to make a tank you should just go with a boaphile. They are awesome and you can get a 421D for $209 and just a little more to get flexwatt with it. They are great looking tanks and will compliment your future boa room.
                      I am not shipping but picking it up locally. I can not do this with Boaphile. I do not need heat. I have an 80 watt radiant heat panel that I am switching over from the existing enclosure.

Comment

It says a lot that you all are so impressed with Jeff's quality and customer service. My impression was that they were out of my price range but I will have to look into them more seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by clsutt29 View Post
                          Once you install heat and have them shipped they are not a better value in my opinion.
                          Bingo. Make sure you are checking all your facts. I have done my homework, and I have found that Boaphile Plastics caging is one of if not the best value in PVC caging.

Comment

I might add that Jeffe should be putting us all on payroll

-Sean in NoCal
                            “Americanism means the virtues of courage, honor, justice, truth, sincerity, and hardihood – the virtues that made America.”
                            -Teddy Roosevelt.

Comment

Originally posted by Pandorasdad View Post
                              I might add that Jeffe should be putting us all on payroll
                              You mean he didn't tell you about the kickback program? Weird.......

Comment

Working...
                              X