Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Glass, Acrylic, or plexi glass etc.......FOR DOORS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glass, Acrylic, or plexi glass etc.......FOR DOORS?

Im going to be building my first cage here soon and im trying to figure out what type of door should i use... between Glass, Acrylic, Plexi etc...... which works the best or does it even matter. im making the cage out of Melamine

Re: Glass, Acrylic, or plexi glass etc.......FOR DOORS?

Is the door going to be hinged or a sliding door in a track? For a hinged door as long as there were enough latches to prevent gaps then plexi would be the better choice. If you take a look at the Boaphile site you'll see how a third latch in the middle of the door is suggested for larger boids like Pythons. The reason is because the snake can push on the unsupported middle portion and create enough of a gap to escape if the latch is not there. If it is a sliding door, personally I would use glass, as very thick plexi can still flex and be pushed out of the track also glass does not scratch as easily and who doesn't want stuff to stay nice looking? With the hinged door there is the possibility of the door breaking easily so plexi is the best choice there just as long as it is secure like mentioned before. You can get protective films for the plexi as well to prevent scratching and get a longer shelf life from the piece.

Mat.

Comment

ok that sounds like it answers my questions.... thanks alot

Comment

Get a plastic cage.Holds humidity alot better.And will last 3 times longer.And your back will thank you.

Comment

I used tempered glass for my cage. I was worried about the plexi getting scratched and looking like crap. I don't know about acrylic.

Comment

Working...
          X