PVC Cage and Heat Tape

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PVC Cage and Heat Tape

I have a question for everyone. I am working on my own designed cage and I had a question about Heat Tape. I am not trying to copy a Boaphile in fact I do not have any that I own to in fact copy. This is my own design, however, I have run into where to put the heat tape?

Do the Boaphiles have a panel in them where the heat tape is under. In other words, I will have scrap pvc left after my build and I could do a panel say 24X24 in the cage to accommodate some heat tape sandwiched inside. I thought I remembered someone telling me they did this which would mean its ok for me to do it as well.

Re: PVC Cage and Heat Tape

You always want to put the heat tape/flexwatt/uth on the outside of the cage, not inside. You could construct a slot, or pocket, with scrap pvc to hold the heat tape, but I would make it so the flex could be removed if need be. In other words, don't sandwich it in permanently. If something goes wrong with the flex, you want to be able to easily replace it, not destroy half the cage to get to it.
    "It is not my responsibility to live up to other people's perceptions of who I am. I am only responsible for living up to the standards I set for myself, to be the person I want to be."

Comment

All ya got to do is call Jeff and ask him how you can copy his tanks....haha that was a joke. But now all joking aside, just use some double sided tape and stick it under the tank, use a t-stat to get the temps where you want them to be and you're golden.

Comment

Usually what I do is tape the flex/heat tape to the bottom with foil tape (it's literally tin foil tape) because it resists heat extremely well. I also usually sandwich the t-stat probe between the flex and cage bottom in order to get a good reading.
        "It is not my responsibility to live up to other people's perceptions of who I am. I am only responsible for living up to the standards I set for myself, to be the person I want to be."

Comment

I was thinking of sandwiching it in and then either caulk with caulk with black silicone so it can be removed easy, but this creates a point of maintenance since it needs to be resealed over time as you scrape the cage. The other option is to permanently seal it in, I looked at the Boaphile website recently and I think this is what he does. If it fails I wouldn't recommend you jack at the cage I would recommend you buy a RHP to solve problem. Easy fix if you ask me.

I do not want it under cage because I do not want legs on cage.

You know it would be easier for me to copy, but thats not what I am doing. Though I will say at the end of the day it will be a pvc box with acrylic doors, not easy to make it look different.

Comment

Working...
          X