Ventilation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ventilation

How much ventilation is needed for a rtb cage. Is an opening in the top below the che enough of an air opening or is more needed to keep fresh air in the cage? I'm asking because I will be building a cage in the next 2-4 months and the question popped into my head so I figured I could get some good suggestions from here.

Re: Ventilation

What you need to do is find out how much air a full grown snake will consume in 1 minute (A), take the air pressure in your given room, usually 14.7psi (B), find the volume of your enclosure (C).

C x A/B = Y

Do the above equation and the answer Y will be how much air will be available at any given time inside your enclosure. If you intend to drill small holes you will need to figure how much air can pass through that hole with 14.7psi of air pressing against it, the mulitiply that number until you get the correct mean volumetric average. If you had to mulitiply it 12 times then you need 12 holes of that size.

Actually dude im not sure, I was just wasting time, but I hope it sounded smart. You do have to think in proportion, a 4x2x2 enclosure should be ok with 2 or 3 openings the diameter of the top of a cola can.

Comment

less is better. u dont need a lot

Comment

unless your room conditions are perfect temp and humidity then less is best.

Comment

nediver is correct, the more holes you put in the enclosure for ventilation the harder it will be to keep temps and humidity up. Look at the Boaphiles, they only use the gap around the door for ventilation.

Comment

Originally posted by dsimpson View Post
            What you need to do is find out how much air a full grown snake will consume in 1 minute (A), take the air pressure in your given room, usually 14.7psi (B), find the volume of your enclosure (C).

C x A/B = Y

Do the above equation and the answer Y will be how much air will be available at any given time inside your enclosure. If you intend to drill small holes you will need to figure how much air can pass through that hole with 14.7psi of air pressing against it, the mulitiply that number until you get the correct mean volumetric average. If you had to mulitiply it 12 times then you need 12 holes of that size.

Actually dude im not sure, I was just wasting time, but I hope it sounded smart. You do have to think in proportion, a 4x2x2 enclosure should be ok with 2 or 3 openings the diameter of the top of a cola can.

Dude! You made me spit coffee! Thanks for the early morning laugh!
            http://berkeleyknebel.wix.com/mississippimorphs

Photo credit:Eddie Ard .....Banner Credit:Big PaPa Ernest

Comment

dsimpson man that almost got me thinking. good stuff rotfl

Comment

Haha, I almost had a hack saw to the side of my enclosures, while fearing for my boas lifes... not really but it had me thinking too, lol.

Thanks, I needed that laugh

Comment

Working...
                X