Boas in racks in the dark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boas in racks in the dark

I'm have enough boa's now that I need to use rack systems I simply cant be running 10 different 100w day an night lights 24-7 so the rack system with heat tape is going to cut down that cost a whole lot. My question is you see these pro racks that use tubs that are not transparent and seems like they leave the snakes in the dark all the time now I know you dont need UVB lighting for most boas but is no light going to effect their health or behavior? I saw those black tubs a Home depot that come in two sizes I want to use the bigger size for bigger boas but they are black no light will be available to them. Seems like it would mess with their senses.

Re: Boas in racks in the dark

from what I know a 12 hour day/night cycle is important. Some boa breeders have no lights just the incedental light from a window or lights in the room. so Ive heard.

Comment

Would you want to live in darkness?For them to thrive they need to see and not be blind by darkness.Will they die in a year no but why not let them enjoy life with out stuffing them in a small dark tub.

Comment

I have my lights on timers and have them set for 7a-530p plus they get light from the windows. I use the 20L critter tanks from petco.
        sigpic

Jeffrey Ryan Roecker
        Gresham,OR
        Save our Reptiles!!
        I Brake for Snakes!!::

Comment

my snake room has one light that gets turned on when i go in there other than that they get daylight in the day and no light at night unless im in there and they seem to have no issues at least they havent complained to me lol

Some people do say that sunlight or UV lights will help the overall color and iredecents(sp?) of your boa

Comment

I don't think no light means they can't see considering they do not see optical light like we do. They see in infared. Most snakes hunt at night to boot. I don't agree with total darkness but most racks that use clear tub as long as the side facing out that you pull on gets some normal light I think that's enough.

The ones I got in the tubs usually spend some time by the pull out side facing light but most times they sit in the hides or out of the light.

The snakes I have in normal cages get lots of light but most of the time they sit in their hides in the dark unless they are eating or roasting up on the basking side.

The black tubs I see a lot in rodent racks, but they use screen tops so there is light. I would not use a black tub in a snake rack; I like the clear plastic tubs myself.

Comment

I leave my blinds open on my window all the time seeing as I don't have a snake room and they stay in my room it is pretty easy but I mean with all the video's and pictures I've seen of big breeder's they don't have any windows or lights on all the time so I guess it's not that big of a deal.

Comment

I'll think of something. I have a small rack with sterlite clear tubs that sits by the window. but I'm working on getting some breeder size boas so sterlite tubs at walmart are not big enough or their to tall and not wide enough. I just dont really want to spend $69 to $100 for 1 tub like vision tubs I dont even know if those are clear. those black one's at home depot are big but not as big as I would like but I could maybe make a rack with screen tops and leave enough room between each level to allow light in I have a light in the center of the room. but thanks so far for the thoughts.

Comment

Another option that I've seen used on rack systems is rope lighting. You can get long strands of it and run it however makes sense to all of your tubs.

Edit: Just remembered where I saw it!
                  http://www.boaphileplastics.com/racklights.html
                  It's an option on Boaphile RhinoRaXX. They also put off some heat, so you might want to alternate them with the Flexwatt using timers and thermostats.
                  sigpic

Comment

Thanks I'll check it out I wouldn't have thought of that. That shouldn't cost to much to run.

Comment

Working...
                    X