UTH and Melamine Hazards?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UTH and Melamine Hazards?

i am wanting and NEEDING a solution to using a UTH with melamine....

in the picture shows the mark from the Zoo Med UTH that i was using a while ago with one of my melamine cages. is that because the UTH just got too hot and can that be a potential fire hazard.

is there something else that i can use for belly heat?

would Flexwatt cause the same reation?

Re: UTH and Melamine Hazards?

Were you using a thermostat?

Comment

I was using it for a while without one. when i got one is hooked it up

Comment

In addition to the t-stat, I use rheostats and set the rheostat to where the t-stat does not cycle so much.

Comment

I have some melamine with rhenos and UTH i leave a half inch gap from cage and mat.I never had a problem .Got to give mats some heat escape or they get hot in one spot and burn up.

Comment

Anytime you use a UTH of anykind you need 2 things.

1. A reliable thermostat or rheostat (or, a combination thereof...) that will keep it from getting too hot.

2. A minimum 1/2 inch air gap underneeth the UTH to allow for dissipation of heat. Putting a UTH right on a table surface is asking for trouble.

As to the Flexwatt question, as long as you use a thermostat to control the temp. of the Flexwatt, it shouldn't cause burns.

-Sean in NoCal
            “Americanism means the virtues of courage, honor, justice, truth, sincerity, and hardihood – the virtues that made America.”
            -Teddy Roosevelt.

Comment

I would think it takes high temps to radiate through 3/4" melamine to heat to a proper temp. Was the thermo even cycling or was it constantly on?

Comment

Originally posted by HopingForBabies View Post
                I would think it takes high temps to radiate through 3/4" melamine to heat to a proper temp.
                I tend to agree with you, which is why I don't use a UTH with my melemene cage.

-Sean in NoCal
                “Americanism means the virtues of courage, honor, justice, truth, sincerity, and hardihood – the virtues that made America.”
                -Teddy Roosevelt.

Comment

Working...
                X