X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gottabsleeved
    replied
    Re: Cage Decorating Question

faunaclassifieds and kingsnake could have somthing pop up in your area.Used and no shipping you may get a nice cage at the price of building.

Leave a comment:

• rpowelson
    replied

Wow didn't even think of craigslist. thanks.

Leave a comment:

• gottabsleeved
    replied

Oak Is solid and alot better for drilling and screwing. plywood if compressed sheets corner breaking is easy.The oak comes in 4x8 sheets i think its like $50 a sheet.Get what you pay for!For me in caging when i went cheap i was never happy always looking for better.So if id had bought the best the first time it would had been cheaper for me.Save up and get a good plan would make you and your boa more happy then wasting money and time screwing a plywood box together.Proper caging snakes does cost.Look on craigslist for a local plastic cage in you area.

Leave a comment:

• rpowelson
    replied

okay. oak plywood? Or just solid oak? cuz isn't that really really expensive?

Leave a comment:

• gottabsleeved
    replied

Pine plywood is not good for snakes.Do it right and once.Use 3/4 oak, water based stain and poly.Use epoxy for floor.Mccarthy boas .com tells you how he does it and this is the best way for a wood cage to be done period.Pay for the oak its worth it.

Leave a comment:

• rpowelson
    replied

Thank you alot for your input. The color mixing the stain is a pretty good idea. The reason I was looking to build my own cage is cuz I don't have a very large income. The cheaper I can get stuff the better! haha. Anyway thanks for the reply.

Leave a comment:

• davenkelly
    replied

Personally, I would stear clear of paint. I built my 4 story snake condo out of run of the mill plywood, stained it and then gave it a few coats of Spar. (clear water based sealer/varnish stuff)....Bottom shelf, I laid laneolem (sp).....for extra water resistance.

Now, if you were looking for some color in your choice of using paint, Lowes will mix just about any color you want in a stain. I am in the middle of building a larger cage for my frilled dragon and stained it green. It looks KILLER!!....Also got a can each of blue and pink stain for my next cage project....gonna do the boy/blue, pink/girl thing for some of my snakes. Ya, over the top but I am just like that.

Allow others to chime in, cause I am in no way the be all, end all, of the DIY cage projects....LOL....

One more note...If I were just getting 1 snake, I would get a boaphile, hands down....

Leave a comment:

• rpowelson
    started a topic Cage Decorating Question

Cage Decorating Question

I am starting to build my cage. I am going to get plain plywood. Is it safe to use a water based paint to paint the plywood? Will it disturb the animal? The cage will be built within the next month, and there won't be any animals in it for 3 or more months since I have to get the money to buy myself a female boa. Anyway, any help with my question is appreciated.
Working...
X