Reptile Basics ????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reptile Basics ????

Ok so after hearing that we are getting an apartment inspection(look for my next post on suggestions about that ) in 2 weeks I decided I am going to go with a rack for my boas. Few question, is a rack ok for boas I mean my ball pythons are in racks but they dont move around as much as my boas. This is a 30.6qt tubs so im figuring they can last until maybe 4ft or so. Ok question 2. can my dumerils and my hypo stay in the same rack not the same tub the same rack. Another question has anyone ordered from reptile basics. I chose reptile basics only because this is a only 3 high and I can get that and a thermostat for a little under 400. So please give me your thoughts I do plan on getting a Boaphile once I buy a house but i don't plan on doing that for atleast 2 years.

Re: Reptile Basics ????

Keeping different snakes in the same rack is fine, its no different than keeping them in the same room really. I have some smaller boas in racks. On the boaphile plastics web site it stats you can keep up to 6 ft boas in a ballroom rack. So that 34 1/2 by 16 1/2. I couldn't help you with the reptile basics question.

Comment

Reptile Basics is a quality company. You can't go wrong with them. They know their stuff and are happy to answer any questions you may have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

And just to clarify, keeping different snakes in the same rack is ok as long as they have the same temp requirements. If they don't, you can still keep them in the same rack, but you'll need a different tstat for that particular drawer - which may not be possible because most of the time, all the slots are wired together. You may be able to ask the company to wire them separately, though...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

If there is enough room in the tub tubs are fine. I actually LOVE my rack so much but my boas too big for them. I will be getting another rack for the new boas I plan to get and I don't see any issues using them for boas as long as you give enough room.

Like mentioned, the thing with multiple snake species on the same rack is to worry about temps. Most of them flucate from species to species. Extra thermos are expensive if you buy quality but I found a way around it if the temperature difference isn't too big. Just pad extra. More substrate = less heat hits the top layer. Set it to the hottest temp you need and fill up the ones who need less temps with more newspaper/cypress/aspen/whatever

As for reptile basics, well, I've not bought a cage from them but I have bought all my hides from them. I bought my tongs and hemos and my super badazz temp gun from them. They deliver quick and have reasonable pricing. I will be ordering some more stuff from them in the next month or two and wouldn't hesitate to recommend them, but cannot comment on their cages specifically.

Comment

You can't go wrong with RBI. I use them for just about everything except caging because my loyalty lies with Boaphile and this site. That being said, I would assume their caging is as quality as the rest of their products.

Comment

I did not see your "next" post about the apartment inspection...So I will chime in here.

GET THEM SNAKES out of there prior to the inspection!!! Even if the lease does not forbid them, someone up the chain in management will have a problem with them. I almost got evicted due to a little rat snake once. Nothing in the lease about reptiles, but I was told the snake goes or you both go...LOL. The whole deal was the maintenance man refused to enter the apt. knowing a snake was there. "Our maintenance man will not enter the apt, even in am emergency, so the snake must go"....Then one of the cool maintenance men, told me they were making him check my apt once a week to make sure I did not bring him back.....(I was able to keep him at work, so I did not have to get rid of him.)

My point it, if they dont want the snakes there, they will find/manufacture a reason that you cant keep them. Dont know the size of your complex, or who knows you keep snakes, but the word is fixin to spread like wild fire. Someone is going to make a big stink over them.

I am not trying to be Mr. Negative, but I dont want for you to get in trouble and have to move...or worse yet, disolve the collection.

Good Luck

Comment

I own RBI cages and rack systems. Here's my assessment:

4' Cages are awesome. Plan on getting 7 more in the next month.

Rack systems, not so good. They get stuck when sliding in and out. Not as smooth as they should be.

Customer service is the best out there. Every time I've ordered ANYTHING from RBI (including cages and racks) I've had it shipped in less than a week.

You'll be fine keeping those boas in the same rack system, just not in the same tubs. And I agree that you should not let your apartment complex know about your reptiles. If you get a rack system, at the very least, throw a thin blanket over it when they do the inspection. Tell them it's a make-shift coffee table or something.

All the best,

Comment

Reptile Basics is awesome, can't go wrong with them!

Comment

I've ordered from reptile basics a bunch of times. Excellent staff with great products. Fast shipping too

Comment

Great people, but I don't like their racks. I have RBI and Animal Plastics racks. AP racks smoke the RBI racks.

Comment

[QUOTE=davenkelly;430243 Nothing in the lease about reptiles, but I was told the snake goes or you both go...LOL. The whole deal was the maintenance man refused to enter the apt. knowing a snake was there. "Our maintenance man will not enter the apt, even in am emergency, so the snake must go"[/QUOTE]

I don't know how the laws work regarding this where you live but I just successfully sued my landlord over the same crap. They tried to tell me I had to either lock my dogs up or take them out because the foreign guy checking the fire alarms was terrified of them.The next day (the day after the alarm inspection, so they had no right to be there and no notice was given) I then caught them trying to illegally enter the apartment on tape and they brought a really large maintenance guy with some kind of stick they were planning on using to keep the dogs away from them. I got a year of free rent.

Mat.

Comment

Working...
                        X