CHECK OUT these cages!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CHECK OUT these cages!

I have been doing NOTHING but research on a custom snake cage that I want to build. As much time and effort I've been putting into this, the intraweb is a hard deminsion to view customized snake cages from, but I ran across an absolutely AWESOME website. Wayyyy out of my price range, in the $5,000-$10,000 catagory. But regardless finally, this is the type of cage that I have been looking for this is the image I had in my head. It doesn't look easy or cheap to build, but I think I can do it way less than $10,000. If anyone has any details on how I might be able to build a cage like this, let me know. The thing that I like about it is, it has a small heated/lighted pool inside that is ran by a pump to keep the water clean which also keeps the humidity PERFECT. When you would like to clean out the cage all you have to do is spray it down with a hose and it has a drain on it.
    These tanks include;
    1.) Light system - 3 ceramic light fixtures installed for incandescent lights. One double fluorescent light fixture for vita lighting. (more info)
    2.) Self priming Pump for flushing.
    (more info)
    3.) Glass lower front & (sides optional) with tempered glass doors. (more info)
    4.)Unit stained to your preference.
    (more info)
    5.) Unit capable of holding water from 3/16" to a maximum of 10 inches deep in pool.
    6.) Lower storage cabinet.
    7.) Ventilated top rear incorporated within the light system.
    8.) Remote control to operate all lighting & pumps. (more info)
    9.) Waterproof Rubberized lower Interior.
    10.)Airbrushed tropical background scenery.
    (more info)
    11.)Bottom wheels allow for mobility of unit.

I'm just going to keep dreaming.
    You can check these out at; Reptile Cages Custom Showcases Habitat Aquariums Iguana Cage Reptile Enclosure Snake Cages Reptile

Can anyone help me with any information on how I can build a cage like this?

Re: CHECK OUT these cages!

Boaphile 421D's are $209

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Ross View Post
      Boaphile 421D's are $209
      True

but those are way wicked if i was ballin' i might have to get one lol those blow cages by design out of the water

Comment

What do you plan to keep in that enclosure ?

How many snakes /Boas do you have now ?

The reason I ask these questions is because of this

Alot of people dream having a Boa or something
        in an elaborate decorated enclosure

This is usually before they have that Boa and realize how involved cleaning a cage
        can be when it is just filled with aspen and a water dish , let alone all kinds of
        branches and water pools decorations. If you want to spend 6 hours cleaning
        one enclosure every week then that will be your choice.

For me that would get old quick and if you are like most
        people they don't get just one Boa.

Nice simple enclosure 4' x 2' or 6' X 2' foot and 1 foot high or 17-24 inches high
        is more than adequate

Lar M
        Boas By Klevitz

sigpic

Comment

A cage like that would be more for your personal enjoyment and not for your boa. Your boa would actually prefer and feel more secure in a smaller cage out of the way of pedestrian traffic in your home. Clean up of a cage like that would also be a pain!

Comment

that might be good for an iguana or a monkey. I think boas aren't that active for an elaborate cage but for what it is it really looks cool. but boa keepers are usually addicts and to have one to a enclosure you would need a HUGE house for all those enclosures to fit next to each other. They dont look to stackable.

Comment

Cleaning nightmare. All this is, is a giant pre-fab "naturalistic" terrarium, or paludarium depending on how much water area you decide on. The problem is they don't have a false bottom with proper water table, plus the fake and dead plants/branches, so you would have to constantly be taking everything out and cleaning it all the time. I have some tree frogs in a similar "naturalistic" set up but on a MUCH smaller scale and it is still a ridiculous ordeal to take everything out and clean it all and then put everything back.

I am going to be building and planting a proper set up with a false bottom and real landscaping, this way your cleaning is limited to water changes and wiping the glass. The only other maintenance would then be occasional water and soil tests, spot cleaning solid waste on the land portions and things like that. It mimics an eco system and the false bottom and water table provide a drainage area so everything is constantly rinsed and cycled. By using waste eaters (snails etc) in the water portion, along with water conditioners ( reduce and break down solids/ammonia) and regular water changes you create a much more natural environment that animals such as frogs, Chinese water dragons etc... thrive in, so the extra initial build effort pays off two fold. One in the greatly reduced amount of tank maintenance and two in the health and happiness of the animal.

Some of these "naturalistic" pet store type set ups may look nice but it in the end it is just a box full of loose dead stuff, soaking up urine and feces.

I didn't bother to look at the prices but I can guarantee that for what you are getting, yourself or a local carpenter could build it for a lot less. In the end though, it is going to be a ridiculous chore to clean. Large set ups like that need real plants and and everything else mentioned to work properly and efficiently. Like previously mentioned you also have to consider what the boa is going to be most happy with and they typically are not going to like, want or use all that extra space you are giving them.

Mat.

Comment

My Chinese Water Dragons would definetely love one of those cages But like everyone else has said, snakes aren't really the best display animals. Although I do know someone who keeps a pair of Jungle Carpet Pythons in a large cage similar to those. Their snakes are great feeders and are very healthy. But the cage is 8ftLx3ftWx6ftH and it is a pain the a!#$! to clean! I have my baby Chinese Water Dragons in a 2ftLx2ftWx4ftH cage and they demolish that cage every couple days...

“I love deadlines. I love the whooshing noise they make as they go by.” -DA
                www.outworldreptiles.com

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Ross
                  Boaphile 421D's are $209
                  I agree Scott.
                  This is way over kill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

10 Grand?!

For $10,000 you could get 10, 421D stack packs with pedestel, heat (installed) and T-Stats (wired) shipped directly to your door.

Thats Fifty (50) 421D cages ready 2 go! Just add substrate and Boas!

You could clean all 50 cages in the time it would take you to clean just one of those things.

Personally, I think 50 Boas in 421Ds look WAY better than one of those things anyway. Not to mention your husbandry would be better and your snakes would thrive.

Comment

Waste of money, definitly agree.. OVERKILL

Comment

Ive seen those cages before, very very nice. Its still going to cost you alot to build one like those. If you put in a pond, id put in a filter that would filter the water before it goes into the pump.

Comment

Sweet cages! Now I am dreamin too!

Comment

I'd hate to clean those...

I had a custom 4 x 2 x 6 cage I had bought from a friend of a friend and it was an absolute time eater for cleaning. It was a gun rack converted to a cage. It was sweet though until it got messy.

I would not mind buying an eye candy cage for a small snake (like a king, milk, corn) but anything bigger than can poop the size of a hotdog or more is just asking for you to give up some hours to *really* clean out such a cage.

It would not even matter if your branches got urates or poop on them you'd needto lug them out and clean them anyways. That's just too much.

But, I think most of us are giving our perspectives as multiple snake owners where we have to do cleanings and stuff multiple times a week. If you had only 1 or 2 then I think showcase style is more understandable.

Most of those cages can be built for 20-30% of the retail the cost, but I'd imagine over time you'd quit putting so much of the decorations back in with every cleaning.

Comment

really nice but i bet pricey an they will take up alot of room for 1 or 2 snakes.

Comment

Working...
                              X