Flexwatt and Melamine cages?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flexwatt and Melamine cages?

Can you use flexwatt with a melamine cage like the boa master cages?

Re: Flexwatt and Melamine cages?

Yup. I have a 2 ft section of 11 inch FW in my melamine cage.

-Sean in NoCal
    “Americanism means the virtues of courage, honor, justice, truth, sincerity, and hardihood – the virtues that made America.”
    -Teddy Roosevelt.

Comment

Did you put it on the bottom on the outside of the cage? will it heat thru the melamine ok?

Comment

Huh , I was always told that Flex-watt should not be used Inside a cage for two reasons .
        - It should not get wet from spilled water or urates
        - It should not get layed on or pressed on. They always say to use only where their is air space

I have heard of people cutting a hole in the bottom of their cages ( the size of the Flex-watt) and putting a plastic false floor inside, so the heat will transfer thru the thin area.

Comment

Yes, yes you can

Comment

I agree with the post by Morgan's Boas...I've used Flexwatt for many years safely & without problems...but never IN a cage. Always underneath, & with an air gap.

It's asking a lot for the UTH heat to get thru melamine or solid wood, as those are both effective insulators. Flexwatt instructions make mention that you should not use it on metal shelves, since these low-wattage
            heat tapes are not that well-insulated...likewise the presence of moisture is not a good idea.

If you want safe UTH heat inside a cage (that is designed for some moisture as well), you might look into heat pads made for use in kennels/whelping quarters. I've used Lectro-Kennel satisfactorily and many so-called
            "Pig Blankets" have been used by others as well.

Comment

I've used Flexwatt inside a cage before, but it was covered by a "false floor". I put the flexwatt down and then covered it with linoleom.

Tim

http://www.facebook.com/BoidsOhio?bookmark_t=page

Comment

I only have one cage using flexwatt and like mentioned above there's a false floor over top. The other 2 cages I use ultratherm heat pads.

Comment

I would not use a heat pad that is not made for reptiles. They can get too hot etc. There's always the radiant heat pannels that go inside on the top of the cage, but I would be too worried about burns myself. I'm just going to stick with the plastic cages and heat tape. Wood seems too much hassel. Warps from humidity, cannot heat from the outside with heat tape or pads, they're very heavy. Just doesn't seem worth it to me.

Comment

Thank you all for you input. I have been going back and forth for a while and I am going to go with plastic. Not only am I getting a really good deal on some boaphilia cages; They are easier to clean and no were near as heavy as wood. I also think that the plastic will have a much longer life span than wood.

Comment

Working...
                    X