What cage height do you use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What cage height do you use?

Basically what the title says. What cage height do you typically use, particularly for male Bcis and why you prefer that height.

I am planning on getting 4'x2' enclosures and have just gotten too many varied responses on height. In an ideal world I would LOVE to give them as much as possible (like 18") but have gotten several responses that 12" is what is typically used.

I have also attached a poll to try and get a consensus on what is generally used.

Thanks!
    12"
    33.33%
    15"
    20.00%
    18"
    33.33%
    More than 18"
    13.33%

Re: What cage height do you use?

All of my larger cages are Boaphile 421D or Boaphile 421 Coupe. (Click either of the highlighted texts to see the Boaphile web page for each.)

They provide ample room for various sizes and I couldn't be happier!
    "An increase in reptile education can lead to a decrease in reptile discrimination." - Bebo

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bebowebb View Post
      All of my larger cages are Boaphile 421D
      Mine too although I have a few smaller males still in a 41 QT Rack, including my male Guyana who doesn't like the extra space in the Boaphile. (He's kinda weird though).
      http://berkeleyknebel.wix.com/mississippimorphs

Photo credit:Eddie Ard .....Banner Credit:Big PaPa Ernest

Comment

12 although I have one that is 17 (approx, they are boaphile brand)

Comment

I have a 421D and a 422T. Really my only complaint about the 421D is the height. It's not even a full 12", I think it's closer to 11". I'm not sure it will make a good forever home for my girl when she's a girthy 7 feet long due to the height. It also makes it very difficult to get larger sized prey into the cage through a small opening. If you have a male the 12 inch should be good. There is quite a significant price increase for an extra 6 inches of height, your boa might enjoy it. But mine is not very active and I think she prefers the tighter quarters.

Comment

12" (or 11 like [MENTION=14369]chiflyer[/MENTION] said) is really an industry standard sort of thing. It's a great size to make the most of out space since you can stack them high, and I believe it keeps production costs low since the manufacturer can get the most out of a standard-sized sheet of plastic. That being said, taller cages are much easier to work with. They're easier to clean, easier to reach in and grab a big bitey snake, and will allow you to put a shelf or a climbing branch that boas will utilize if it's available. So if space and cost aren't so much of an issue, taller is generally better.
            sigpic

Comment

Thanks for your input everyone! I'm hoping to do 18" tall caging, but will do 15" if cost ends up being a factor. The two boas I have so far and my male jag. carpet, seem to like climbing, so I'd love to give them as much height as possible. It is good to know that many people use 12" tall caging without issues though.

Comment

With a 24" deep cage you could get away with 15" of height, though if you can afford 18" high and have the space for it, go for it.

I have 30" deep cages and I wouldn't go shorter than 18" tall with them. Otherwise reaching into the back corners to clean them - and that's where the snakes always seem to make the biggest mess! - is very difficult.

Comment

Thanks for the input bcr_229. I had remembered hearing something about the shorter cages being harder to clean, so your info backs that up.

Comment

I guess it depends on the space you have, how many snakes you keep and other various factors.

I don't have a huge collection (3 snakes) I am not interested in breeding snakes, or working harder on cleaning and maintenance than enjoying the room and animals.

I have a male Barranquilla BCI (Rio Bravo lines) that is approaching 6 feet. He climbs and eats from his perches about 85% of the time.

I like the exercise the 48" x 30" x 20" tall cage allows him to get. I'd have gone 24" tall in hindsight. I've seen some pretty good field/photos info showing BC's up in the canopy taking birds, and other prey.

He's having a quail here.

I typically find after he eliminates his previous meal and I wait a few days, he begins to move about.

All of that said, there are far more experienced folks here than I am and they keep multiple animals successfully in 12" cages.

If you are keeping only a couple and want to see some activity try going with a bit of height.

Comment

Working...
                    X