Wood cage cleaning question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wood cage cleaning question

I've read up a little on people doing their own cage builds, sealing wooden cages with stain and spar urethane. I'm a self confessed neat freak, so I almost always sterilize my cage after it becomes soiled. What can be used to sterilize a wooden build coated with urethane? I would imagine that bleach or Nolvasan would react and degrade the urethane correct?

Re: Wood cage cleaning question

Only thing with using bleach to clean. Is you have to let it air out for at least a day before putting any animal inside the enclosure. I would say go to Walmart and get some wood cleaner
    sigpicJrock23

Comment

Originally posted by Jrock23 View Post
      I would say go to Walmart and get some wood cleaner
      Nope...toxic fumes. Get this: Chlorhexadine Gallon - Reptile Basics

It will last you a LONG time because you dilute it. This is the best stuff to use.
      http://berkeleyknebel.wix.com/mississippimorphs

Photo credit:Eddie Ard .....Banner Credit:Big PaPa Ernest

Comment

Ok, I will try that product. Because I too, have a custom wooden enclosure
        sigpicJrock23

Comment

You can still use bleach. But you have to do the math right to come up with a no more than 5% bleach to water ratio. The chlorhexadine is bleach based, but a little less harsh. Diluted to the proper ratio, it won't leave the smell as strong or as long as diluted bleach will.

-Sean in NoCal
          “Americanism means the virtues of courage, honor, justice, truth, sincerity, and hardihood – the virtues that made America.”
          -Teddy Roosevelt.

Comment

I highly recommend using either Nolvasan (aka chlorhexidine) diluted solution or F10 (diluted solution). Neither one needs rinsing...wipe dry is all you need to do, with no fumes (as long as diluted for reptile use).

I'd never risk using bleach on wood products...if it permeates the wood at all, the smell is there to stay (and will harm your reptiles, meaning you may as well throw out whatever you just cleaned). Even with water-proof
            coatings on the wood, bleach is pretty rough on finishes...and on you too!

Comment

I'm a fan of Listerine.

It cleans very well and it allows you to pick a scent (flavor) that you like.

Some say dilute further, but I always go approximately 50/50 with water.
              "An increase in reptile education can lead to a decrease in reptile discrimination." - Bebo

sigpic

Comment

Very good suggestions

Comment

Working...
                X