To build or not to build?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To build or not to build?

I havent gotten a Boa yet but i will be soon. Ive been reading everything I can get my hands on and no surprise some of the info is a bit conflicting. Some ppl say the bigger the cage the better (for adults) and others say that big cages are for humans, the snakes dont care and are just as happy in a minimum sized enclosure than a huge one.

Space is not an issue, i have a spare room in my house thats empty. I have the tools and ability to build anything. If I build something Im confident I can handle the temp and humidity needs. Cleaning is the only thing im concerned about, I dont want to spend 10 hours a week cleaning the cage
    With that in mind my question is:
    build a large custom cage or buy an appropriately sized cage pvc cage?

Re: To build or not to build?

It's fun to build, but I prefer the PVC cages now. They are lighter and much easier to clean.

Tim

http://www.facebook.com/BoidsOhio?bookmark_t=page

Comment

I think either works well, I can't build anything so I bought pvc, have three and four foot boaphiles and if any of my snakes get huge I will buy bigger cages. Cleaning will be more involved with a larger cage but otherwise you should be able to plan a build that is easy enough to take care of and you can build exactly what you like which is a plus.

Comment

I say that small cages are for humans, not for the poor animal crammed in it... Go big and treat you pet right. I may be one of the few that preach buying a large enclosure right from the start, but I feel strongly about it... The jungle has no walls, your boa needs exercise, you will have to buy a big cage anyway so why buy several along the way etc...

Plastic cages seem to clean and disinfect easier that most builds (IMO)... It all just comes down to your personal preference...

Comment

As has already been said, it's all personal preference; however, you do not want to go too small or too large for the specific animal.

You do not want to have an eight foot boa permanently crammed into a 2'x2'x1" enclosure, but in the same breath - they do not need a full bedroom to roam around in either.

The PVC cages are generally much more light weight and easier to clean, but some find a since of self-pride in the completion of a nice cage project and aren't worried about the weight of the cage.

To me, it is easier to buy a nice cage like something from Boaphile Plastics. I don't have the time to dedicate to getting deep into a cage building project and I enjoy the ease of maintenance that comes along with the Boaphiles.

I don't throw Boaphile up there just because Jeff owns this forum. I use them as my primary example because that is the only brand of caging that I use and prefer. The fact that Jeff is a great guy and a blast to talk to is just an added benefit of doing business with him.
          "An increase in reptile education can lead to a decrease in reptile discrimination." - Bebo

sigpic

Comment

I built my own out of 1/2 plywood. It's about 7' L x 30" W x 20" H. I lined the floor with white 1/8" lexan and installed 3 large thremostat controlled heating pads for floor heat. I have 2 access doors that open frontward and topward (I'll post pics later). On one end I have a top heat via a cermic heat element which keeps that end about 90-92 degrees. The cool end is usually about 78 degrees. Lighting in on a timer. The only thing I haven't done is installed some sort of humdity control. I probably don't need it since I have a good house humidifer and it's usually 40-60% depending on time of year.

Comment

I have both homemade and Boaphiles, and personally I prefer the Boaphiles for ease of cleaning, just my two cents.
              http://berkeleyknebel.wix.com/mississippimorphs

Photo credit:Eddie Ard .....Banner Credit:Big PaPa Ernest

Comment

I agree with the others regarding the ease of moving and cleaning PVC cages. I love my homemade cage. It has and continues to serve Pandora well. But it's heavy. About 75 lbs vs. my 421D that weighs about 10. Maybe. And by the time I finished it, my homemade cage cost about as much as the Boaphile.

-Sean in NoCal
                “Americanism means the virtues of courage, honor, justice, truth, sincerity, and hardihood – the virtues that made America.”
                -Teddy Roosevelt.

Comment

I have to agree with the freak that a 7 x 2 1/2 is a nice size for a boa.

Comment

Working...
                  X