Reusing a Cage...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reusing a Cage...

Hey everyone! I hope you all had a good thanksgiving!

The little Suriname that I got from Star ([MENTION=6926]weird_science04[/MENTION]) earlier this year has been growing, and pretty soon, the tub that she's been in won't be big enough for her . I was planning on ordering a new Boaphile for her, but it seems like the ordering system doesn't work anymore? Idk...it just kept asking me to log in to Paypal, but nothing ever added to the cart...

Anyway, I have an empty 422D here right now, but it was the one that we had had another snake in when she died of a viral infection. We had gotten some suggestions about how to clean it thoroughly after that, but I guess I'm still kind of worried that it won't ever be clean enough for another snake, and that I should just trash it :/... I've had some big medical expenses recently, so it wouldn't be awful to not have to throw out a $420 cage and buy a new one, but I would just die if my penny pinching made her sick...

So I guess I kind of have two questions?
    1. Do you think it's possible to sterilize the old cage enough to use it again? Should I just try harder to order a new one (I'm sure I could just call him instead, right?)?
    2. Has anyone else had difficulties ordering from Jeff recently?

Re: Reusing a Cage...

I would totally re-use that cage. You can sterilize it really well using Nolvasan (buy online and dilute according to directions), let it air out and you should be good to go. These cages are meant to be able to sterilize them so it shouldn't be a worry.

As far as ordering from Jeff recently, I have no intel on that.
    http://berkeleyknebel.wix.com/mississippimorphs

Photo credit:Eddie Ard .....Banner Credit:Big PaPa Ernest

Comment

I've only ever re-used one such cage and I disinfected it 3 times (after first washing it thoroughly with soap & water). Then I used a diluted bleach solution (wiped on & let it stand overnight before rinsing off).
      When it was dry, I sprayed it with rubbing alcohol & let it dry, then I cleaned it again with Nolvasan (aka chlorhexidine) diluted to proper strength. No problems...BUT, someone just posted here (another thread)
      that IBD isn't killed except by ammonia (that was never the issue for me) so you might use that instead of rubbing alcohol (and you'll have to rinse thoroughly, unlike the alcohol which of course just evaporates).

The reason I used several methods is that not all methods work for every 'germ'....so just to be safe & cover all the bases. And remember that no disinfectant is effective if there is actually debris present, so a
      basic wash-down first is essential for them to work. Be sure to get into all the crevices, both inside & out...

Comment

Originally posted by Noelle7206 View Post
        BUT, someone just posted here (another thread) that IBD isn't killed except by ammonia...
        That would have been me, but the disease wasn't IBD it was cryptosporidium, which is just as deadly not only to boas and pythons, but colubrids and other reptiles. I recommended it for used enclosures with an unknown history or if it was ever used for lizards.

I would clean the old enclosure, disinfect with bleach or Nolvasan, rinse it well, follow up with F10, and re-use it.

Comment

Originally posted by bcr_229 View Post
          That would have been me, but the disease wasn't IBD it was cryptosporidium, which is just as deadly not only to boas and pythons, but colubrids and other reptiles. I recommended it for used enclosures with an unknown history or if it was ever used for lizards.

I would clean the old enclosure, disinfect with bleach or Nolvasan, rinse it well, follow up with F10, and re-use it.
          Sorry, my bad! thanks! guilty of distracted posting...and yes, these days I'm using F10 too. (Used Nolvasan for many years) My point was to use several disinfectants for maximum safety. Thanks for correcting
          my misquote.

Comment

I personally wouldn't reuse the cage. I am too paranoid..lol I would trash it..lol

I would also love to see some pictures.

I would call Jeff. He will send you an invoice easily.

Star

Intelligence is not how much you know, but knowing how to put the knowledge you have to use!

Comment

Working...
            X