RHP size.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RHP size.

Will be building a 6ftx2ftx2ft enclosure for my new RTB. it wont be built for him immediatly as he will need to grow slightly.
    My question is how big of an RHP? The room is a little cooler than most 65 degrees. i plan on insulating the cage heavily.
    I have tons of flexwatt laying around, i figured i would try another route this time.

Re: RHP size.

I would suggest this one Reptile Basics 120 Watt Radiant Heat Panel - Reptile Basics Inc based on your cage size and room temperature.
    Previously jjurczyk

facebook.com/k1ssy

Comment

I was looking into these as well

http://pro-products.com/pro-heat/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I have a pro heat panel. Built solid and has been constantly running for a while, no issues here. However, I will say that they were trying to get me to buy one that was a lower wattage then I thought I needed. I ended up buying the next size up from their suggestion and it works great. I don't think the lower watt model that they suggested would have been able to keep the temperature up without being on constantly.

Great quality product.

Comment

I use a pro heat panel as well and when I was purchasing it they said that the reason they pick the ones they do is because you don't want it to be too powerful, then again they didn't know I was using a dimming thermostat. If it is too powerful, it will heat up too much and the thermostat will turn it off which might make the air consistently warm without making surfaces too hot. I trusted them with their decision because they make the product. Lots of good reviews from them. If you are confused about how to order it, you have to call them or send them an email through the "Contact Us" icon. They will not let you buy a panel without talking to them first. Like the website says, they want cage info. I told them that I had an Animal Plastics T8 (4'x2'x1') and they knew half the answers for the questions they were going to ask. They asked for my minimum air temp (60F) and animal to be kept. My panel was $120+shipping so I might expect the panel they recommend for you will be a bit more costly. Maybe around $150+shipping.

Jessica, I think that RHP you posted is too big. That would only fit in the cage long ways and then it would be along half the length of the cage. It is cheaper than the Pro-heat panels but I'm not sure the size is right. It also says that it is 1.75" tall which I find odd. Reading through their FAQ, it does say that for the cage mentioned in the original post that they should use the 120 watt. I find it odd that none of their panels are wider than 12" as it is going to make a longer hot spot and reduce the heat gradient.

Comment

Originally posted by acephantom903 View Post
            If you are confused about how to order it, you have to call them or send them an email through the "Contact Us" icon. They will not let you buy a panel without talking to them first. Like the website says, they want cage info.
            I get that they want to make sure you use the right panel, but they have this weirdly condescending way of doing the "no, you can't just order what you think will work, you have to answer these questions and use what we recommend", not to mention the 4-page email that goes a bit beyond selling their product and into bashing their competitors. I have no doubt that their product is of a superior quality and worth the price premium, but it kind of rubbed me the wrong way.

Originally posted by acephantom903 View Post
            Jessica, I think that RHP you posted is too big. That would only fit in the cage long ways and then it would be along half the length of the cage. It is cheaper than the Pro-heat panels but I'm not sure the size is right. It also says that it is 1.75" tall which I find odd. Reading through their FAQ, it does say that for the cage mentioned in the original post that they should use the 120 watt. I find it odd that none of their panels are wider than 12" as it is going to make a longer hot spot and reduce the heat gradient.
            I agree about the weird long and narrow panels. They should really make a 20x20 or 18x24, which would provide a hot spot in a 48x24 cage much better.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by natieb View Post
              they have this weirdly condescending way of doing the "no, you can't just order what you think will work, you have to answer these questions and use what we recommend", not to mention the 4-page email that goes a bit beyond selling their product and into bashing their competitors.
              I never saw that email. But yeah, I know what you mean.

I personally feel that a RHP shouldn't extend past 1/3rd of the cage because that would limit the heat gradient.

Comment

I would also agree with Jessica I have had good luck with Reptile Basics RHP's. I don't have any experience with Pro Heat panels but at least from what I have seen they seem to be a very good product as well. I just opted for the Reptile Basics panels at the time and haven't been disappointed. Good luck with the build! [MENTION=27143]oleman29[/MENTION]

Comment

Originally posted by Elizabeth94 View Post
                  I have a pro heat panel. Built solid and has been constantly running for a while, no issues here. However, I will say that they were trying to get me to buy one that was a lower wattage then I thought I needed. I ended up buying the next size up from their suggestion and it works great. I don't think the lower watt model that they suggested would have been able to keep the temperature up without being on constantly.

Great quality product.

I'm just curious, what size enclosure and which panel? I just got the PH-12 for a 48x30x18 that I'm building. When I initially called and spoke to Bob we ended up talking for almost an hour. He shared a lot of good views on things but I shouldn't get into that now, what I wanted to say was that Bob gave me the same recommendation that I go with a low wattage RHP while still taking into account all of the other things that determines what range to look at. He explained the reason being that IF something unfortunate should happen and your thermostat goes full-on or something like that to where it's going to no longer regulate temps the RHP would be less likely to injure the snake. It certainly makes sense, I went for the balance though. The 65 watt one would have been the safe option for me.

Just wanted to share since it certainly felt to me that he had good intentions and I can tell from talking to him for that long that he knows the industry well. He told me he is an Entomologist too, which surprised me for sure.

Anyway, I'll stop here before I start rambling.

MU

Comment

Working...
                  X