What Substrate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Substrate

I have a Common Boa, I currently keep him on Orchid Bark but have noticed it is hard to notice when he has done his mess as it blends in with the bark.

I was thinking of changing him over to Aspen as the lighter colour would make it easier to notice when he has made his mess.

Whats substrate is better for him?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: What Substrate

I personally like coco husk. It smells nice, and looks great (which is nice since I only have one boa, and like the decretive cages). It also holds humidity nicely without being too wet. Only downside is it can be a bit messy to clean out of the cage. I use a dustpan to pick it up and throw it in a trash bag. The I use a strong sharpvac to clean the coco dust before I spray with veterinarian cleaner. I keep 1/3 of my boas cage with just paper towel. I feed her there so no substrate gets on the rat or in the snakes mouth.

If you do try this substrate in the "dry block form" (which is cheap) break it down with your hands and throw it in the tank. THEN spray it down real good. This will keep it from being too wet like it would be if you follow the directions, which tell you to soak the brick in warm water.

OR you can just use paper towel. Super easy to clean!

Comment

I use indented kraft paper because it is easy like paper towel only a little better in every way other than you start off with a 20 pound roll of it. The only thing with the coco husk that I can think of-- if it is even the same thing I'm thinking of -- is that it holds humidity well... a little too well to where it can start to mold if you don't change it out regularly.

Comment

Thanks for the replies, I wouldnt really want to use paper towels or kraft paper as I want to keep it as natural looking as possible, more pleasing on the eye that way.
        I will have a look into the coco husk.

Comment

Originally posted by acephantom903 View Post
          I use indented kraft paper because it is easy like paper towel only a little better in every way other than you start off with a 20 pound roll of it. The only thing with the coco husk that I can think of-- if it is even the same thing I'm thinking of -- is that it holds humidity well... a little too well to where it can start to mold if you don't change it out regularly.
          They actually claim it is mold resistant. I haven't had any problems with it myself. Il have to look at that kraft paper, maybe I will use that instead of paper towel on the feeding side the her cage. It that like the indented cardboard stuff I see?

Comment

Originally posted by Elizabeth94 View Post
            It that like the indented cardboard stuff I see?
            Yeah, it is like a cardboard paper with little bumps to make it easy to fold... the bumps provide better grip than smooth paper.
            http://www.uline.com/BL_1961/Indente...words=Indented Kraft Paper

Maybe I'm not thinking of the same thing when it comes to the husk. I used something called coconut soil which came in a brick which you add water to it to make it into soil. I used it for a couple plants and it developed mold after a month. Went back to miracle grow for plants.

Comment

Yeah, it is like a cardboard paper with little bumps to make it easy to fold... the bumps provide better grip than smooth paper.
              Indented Kraft Paper in Stock - ULINE Kraft Paper

Maybe I'm not thinking of the same thing when it comes to the husk. I used something called coconut soil which came in a brick which you add water to it to make it into soil. I used it for a couple plants and it developed mold after a month. Went back to miracle grow for plants.
              That indented 'paper' looks like a good option as is the corrugated stuff (from Uline), depending on what you keep. The corrugated version is heavier & the grooves really trap debris. I used it when I kept rattlesnakes:
              being heavy-bodied, the substrate stayed in place, & their stool partly sank into the grooves so they didn't spread it around much. Either choice is way better than slick newspaper, though not as cheap. Our snakes
              appreciate traction, that's for sure.

I can remember trying (several times) something called "Bed-a-beast" that came as a brick to be reconstituted with water, & yes, it DOES grow mold nicely! I think that was coconut fiber, as I recall?

Comment

Most people use paper towel or newspaper. My question to you is just how much substrate are you using that you can not see the poop and how often do you do spot cleans when using substrate?
                sigpicJrock23

Comment

Originally posted by Jrock23 View Post
                  Most people use paper towel or newspaper. My question to you is just how much substrate are you using that you can not see the poop and how often do you do spot cleans when using substrate?
                  I am using orchid bark and I use just enough to cover the bottom of the RUB that he is in. Its not a thick layer just the thickness of the bark ie if I lifted a piece of bark you would see the bottom of the RUB.
                  I cant see the poop as it blends in so well. I check for fresh poop and urates daily when I change his water.

Comment

Ok, have you tired aspen shaving or cypress mulch or Forrest bedding.. Some ppl i know even use sand for there snakes as substrate. Just keep tired something different. Your snake may not like it but they will come around and get use to it. Just give them time to adjust
                    sigpicJrock23

Comment

Originally posted by Jrock23 View Post
                      Ok, have you tired aspen shaving or cypress mulch or Forrest bedding.. Some ppl i know even use sand for there snakes as substrate. Just keep tired something different. Your snake may not like it but they will come around and get use to it. Just give them time to adjust
                      I have only used the orchid bark so far, I will look into other options. Thanks

Comment

Yeah, snakes don't like it when you change their substrate. I recommend letting them hold onto you as they brave it. Almost everything new to them is something they couldn't ever imagine and scary to them. Seeing snakes brave new substrate or even crawling onto a new fabric they've never seen before reminds me of the scene in the Croods where the dad would say "wait... ... okay." take a step forward and yell "wait! ... ... okay."

Comment

Yeah, snakes don't like it when you change their substrate. I recommend letting them hold onto you as they brave it. Almost everything new to them is something they couldn't ever imagine and scary to them. Seeing snakes brave new substrate or even crawling onto a new fabric they've never seen before reminds me of the scene in the Croods where the dad would say "wait... ... okay." take a step forward and yell "wait! ... ... okay."
                          Yea I have noticed, he doesnt like my Mrs Pyjama bottoms lol.

Comment

I've been using this aspen bedding for years. It's identical to the compressed shredded aspen from pet stores, but many times cheaper. I'd think you could find it or something similar at any farm supply store.

Premium Horse Bedding - Mills Fleet Farm

Comment

I'm curious if any one has tried Vermiculite as Boa Substrate? I grow exotic plants so I always have big bags of vermiculite and perilite sitting around the shop. Vermiculite is great for retaining moisture, so it seems like you could use pre-soaked vermiculite to raise the humidity. I can't think of anything chemically that would be harmful to the snake, but I'd also be a little scared to try it till I knew it was okay.

Comment

Working...
                              X