Ideal cage size? (male bcc)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ideal cage size? (male bcc)

My boa is currently about 5.5 'in a 4x2 boaphile but I'm hoping to get him a more permanent enclosure this year. I'm curious what the veteran keepers recommend to keep a male bcc comfortable for life, I'm open to another boaphile but also looking at display cages.

Re: Ideal cage size? (male bcc)

Ideal cage size? As big as you can go. Because he is almost 6' you might want to look in a 6' cage as a minimum. 4'x2' is a bare minimum for a 6' snake. When I thought Butter was male, I was going to go 8'x3'x2' with Animal Plastics because that is one of the largest plastic cages you can find. Turns out she is a female. I'm not sure I'd be able to give her a much larger cage than that anyways.

Display cages are nice for us but not so much for the snakes. If they feel like they are vulnerable because of too much visibility that will stress them out. Just something to keep in mind.

When it comes to "As big as you can go.", don't go too crazy because you still have to maintain the proper climate inside of it and clean it.

Comment

How old is he now? They grow their whole life, which can be a very long time with good care, good luck & good genes; your best bet is to plan for your boa to be at LEAST as big as his parents are, and keep in mind
      that just like us, many snakes exceed the size of their parents. Their growth slows down in maturity, but it's awfully hard for us to say what an "ideal" size would be without more information.

I like 'display' cages, as long as they're furnished with adequate hiding places & privacy. That's why we keep snakes, after all...to watch & enjoy them...and giving them more space usually results in more to watch.

Comment

I believe he's three years old, got him last summer off a member who was moving so I don't know how large the parents were. Most important to me is his comfort above all. The snake room is heated to 80 with a large humidifier running and any cage would have a RHP added too. I'd do probably an eight foot cage, if I do a boaphile it'd be the standard 2' wide and height would be the only ? Also is it worth adding a built in ledge/perch or just use added decorations?

Comment

Ideal cage size? (male bcc)

Recent shot

Comment

A 3 year old boa has a LOT of growing yet to do...so unless you don't mind having another cage that a future snake can transition into, I'd personally look at the larger options for him. Admittedly, I am not
            an expert on BCC though...but it's so hard to give temperature options when a cage is too small, much less "room to exercise". Few of us ever take our snakes out so much that it's ever enough exercise, IMO.
            (that's why so many look pudgy)
            I seem to recall several members posting that their boas LOVE the 'ledges'...I assume they are made so as not to be too slick? If they don't "come that way" there's easy ways to add the needed traction anyway.

Comment

BCCs take longer to reach "full size" than BCIs. Snakes grow their whole lives. If he is 5.5' now, I think it might be safe to say he is going to be close to 7.5' at 10 years old. I believe boaphile 8' cages are pretty much 2 4'x2'x18" cages that connect. Ledges are nice because it artificially increases the floor space.

Comment

That would also work in my favor if I got the largest boaphile, I'd have to move my three foot cage stack to a different side of the room, but then could add more four footers and consequently more snakes....

Comment

Hey Postal,

Gio here from MPLS.

I have a male Barranquilla, Colombian BCI from Rentfro lines. He is a tick over 6 feet long and will be 4 years old late June.

I have found my Pro-Line 48" x 30" x 20" custom cage to be perfect. I think he'd do exceptionally well in a cage that size.

I also prefer display style cages with "options". If I keep my boa off feed for long periods, he becomes very active and will climb, perch and utilizes his whole cage. He gets exercise and becomes a very interesting snake for me to watch. Depending on how you feed, you could take a female fatty and put her in a standard Boaphile and she would not move much, but give her time between meals and things will get small fast. I agree with others that bigger is better. More climate zones, more area to spread out and more possible options.

I don't have limitless space, and I'm not raising my male to be a breeder so I plan to have him grow long and lean. I don't seem him leaving his current cage, and I could easily have him do well in his old 48" x 24" x 14" cage with perches.

I personally would do what you can to get a decent sized cage and also give some vertical space too.

All of this changes if you need efficiency caging and you are keeping multiple animals.

Here is what I feel is an excellent cage for a BC up to 7 feet, active and lean.

Comment

This guy will be my biggest, I don't mind giving him space. Unlike the short tails he moves around and is active so I feel room is needed. I don't breed and feed lightly and have a smaller collection-8 snakes currently.

Comment

Originally posted by GoingPostal View Post
                      This guy will be my biggest, I don't mind giving him space. Unlike the short tails he moves around and is active so I feel room is needed. I don't breed and feed lightly and have a smaller collection-8 snakes currently.
                      OK great!

Do it up big then!

I think you'll be very happy with a large display type cage!

Nice looking snake by the way!

Comment

Working...
                      X