Looking for vision cage advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for vision cage advice

I have decided to get a vision cage for my boa.I can afford about 400.00 with shipping.The options I am looking at are a 36x28x18,or a 48x26x14,or a 48x16x21.These are all about the same price.I know most people recommend a 4' cage but the 36" cage is the widest at 28".I realize most will recommend the 48x26xx14 but my wife does not like the looks of the short wide cage.I am not crazy about it either.They have a 48X28x28 but that cost 150.00 to ship and would be 600-700$ which is too much.I like the idea of 48x16x21 because of the height but is 16" too narrow even if it is 48" long?I would prefer a cage that is taller so I can put furnishings in it for eye appeal.I hope to slow grow my boa so she will only reach 6' when fully grown.Any thoughts would be appreciated.Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Looking for vision cage advice

I would say the vision 400 or 422 at a minimum. I would not get the 415 or 332 unless you know you have a dwarf boa that isn't going to out grow it. IMHO

You can't really "slow grow" a boa to a certain length unless you just aren't feeding it. Yes, 16" is going to be too narrow for most animals in the trade. If you really want a tall cage that your animal can stay in long term I recommend you save your money for a while and buy the 433, or look at a cheaper large cage.

Comment

What is the type of boa and sex? What is it currently kept in? Current size? The minimum cage size would be width+length= snake length. 48"x24"x12" is the minimum cage size for a 6' male BCI. 48"x24"x18+" is easier to reach in and clean. An 8' female BCI needs 72"x24"x24" minimum. Depending on what you have now and current size of your animal, it might be worth saving up for the next 6 months or so to get a bigger adult size cage. If you have tools and building skills, you can make your own for significantly cheaper, it just might not look as nice because those Vision cages are gorgeous premade cages.

Comment

I have had a 48x28x18,422, in the past.I kept a large 8' female in it.It was a perfect size for her.I did not power feed her by any means but did feed large rats every 7 days.I have a 3' two year old male and a 2' one year old female.The male gets a weaned eat every 7-10 days and the female gets a rat pup every 7-10 days.These rats are slightly smaller or the same size as girth of the snakes.They do not leave a lump.I read in the care sheet on this forum that you can somewhat control the size by feeding smaller rats and less often.I would like a max size of 6-7'.If they get bigger that is ok but I have had a Burmese Python and two large boas years ago but I fed all of them large rats and even small rabbits weekly.I had to sell them for several reasons.I decided to get a couple more boas last year after deciding it was a good time to get back into the hobby.I built two cages years ago that were nice and big but I loved the Vision that I had and want to go with that.The 422 costs 150.00 to ship.The others I mentioned are about 350.00 and 50.00 to ship.I will get what I need to regardless of price but I thought that a 6' boa might not need a 4x2.The 36"x28" has about 7.25 sq feet of floor space .A 4x2 had 8sq ft.That is only less than a foot total difference.I am asking for opinions though so I can consider all options.Thanks

Comment

Another option is to have money set aside and a truck ready to go, and scour your local Craiglist and Facebook reptile groups for used caging. I've scored some awesome used but still perfectly serviceable enclosures, with heat and t-stat included, for less than the cost of shipping just the enclosure because I could pay cash and pick up immediately.

ETA: You can't stop a boa from growing over 6-7' by underfeeding it; eventually it will grow into its genes. You can slow grow them and feed conservatively - youngsters should never be overfed/powerfed - but eventually if it's in their genes to get 8' or more, they'll get there.

Comment

While a snake can fit in a small cage, it could make them restless and they will move for a large portion of the day rather than sitting still like they tend to do. It also makes it difficult to thermoregulate. With all animals the larger you can go while providing the proper climate, the better (with hides). A member not too long ago showed us a 7'x3'x6' cage he made and it was full of branches. It was gorgeous and the snake was happy. It is up to you.

You cannot control the size of a snake by food regulation. You can power feed or starve (hard to do on accident) or a feeding schedule in between. Adult boas shouldn't be fed more than once a month usually. A boa will grow as fast as it needs to unless it is power fed in which it will grow too quickly.

Comment

Thanks for the input.I will look for used first but I definitely want a vision.The 48"x26"x14" should be adequate and the price is what I want ,400.00 shipped brand new.I would much prefer the 48x28x28 just for the height but I am not willing to pay 150$ for shipping

Comment

The Vision 400 is 400.00 shipped.I might have to go with that.I'm not crazy about the 14" height but the floor space is 48x26 so that should be good.

Comment

Actually,I think I might go with a 48x23x18 Proline cage with a shelf.It would be under 400.00 shipped.

Comment

In that case, why not go with an Animal Plastics? Animal Plastics T8 Terrestrial Cage
                    Same cage with shelf and a lock from a different make and it is $200+ shipping ($45 shipping to me)

EDIT: I didn't mention Animal Plastics cages before hand because I think vision is one solid unit where Animal Plastics cages are flat pack and you have to put them together with a screw driver. They provide their own silicone caulking for you.

Comment

I wanted a vision at first but after doing some research,there are a lot of good cages out there.I do want a talker cage(18" at least) and most of them in that height run 350.00-400.00.The Pro-line seem to be a very well made cage(assembly required) but the others I looked at were good too.

Comment

You're right, I overlooked that. I have a T8 for my young girl and it is a pain to reach into the back corners and it is on a table 4 feet off the ground. Too short of a cage for maintenance.

Comment

A taller cage is better for viewing in my opinion and cleaning as you mentioned.

Comment

I just orders a Pro-Line 48x23x18 cage with a shelf.385.00 shipped.

Comment

I mean ordered

Comment

Working...
                              X