This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In side of cage?

hey everyone new to forum, so hey!. I am wanting to build a cage prob out of plywood but not sure what to line the inside with. any input would be great.

Re: In side of cage?

Are you referring to paint? If so, you could paint it or stain it if that it what you wanted to do. I would recommend a water based paint. Whether you decided to paint it or just keep the natural wood color you would need to seal the inside. The best two types of sealant would be polyurethane or polyacrylic. I prefer polyacrylic as it dries faster and contains less vapors. The cracks and corners can be sealed with aquarium sealant. Keep in mind, you need to let the vapors cure and air out for at least two weeks. Hope I explained what you were wanting to hear.

Comment

I was thinking of formica or something similar but wasn't sure about the vapors from the contact adhesive.

Comment

use melamane it is cheaper and hold humidity and heat better.... Plus it is already coted.. Just have to seal the edgs and wammo.
        you are done
        ERic aka...Red

Comment

where can you get the melamine, I asume your talking about ply wood with the melamine already applied. I have looked ad home-depot and they didn't have it. thanks in advance

Comment

No it is on press board most of the time... It is that same stuff that those white shelfs that they sell at department stores are made out of... Just look around... Home depot should have it... Not ply wood though... much heavyer...
            You can always apply it... but that is way harder then you would think... inless of couse you know how...
            Eric aka...Red

Comment

Formica would work great! Easy to clean and waterproof. I would allow the same two week period for the fumes to dissipate though.

Plywood is great too but make sure you put two or three coats of either of the products that Xzylum mentioned. Dont use the Polyshades product as it is very difficult to get consistent coverage with it.
              If you look in the caging forum here you will find a lot of great ideas.

This is the cage I just finished.....
              http://www.redtailboas.com/cgi-bin/y...num=1053343800

Comment

Re:In side of cage?

I used a base coat paint that is water proof, washable and kid proof. This stuff is designed to be painted in childrens rooms. It is made so that when children draw on it with crayons and such, it will easily wash off without destroying the wall behind is. Also for those "special" children whe decide that licking the wall or eating paint chips is fun, it contains NO poisons or lead or anything else that could make a child sick. I thinkg it was called Kid Safe base coat. It's in a blueish-green can with the picture of some kids on it. I picked it up at Lowes for about 4-5 buck for a large can of it.

Comment

Working...
                X