This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What size for what size?

My seven-foot red-tail is growing fast. He sheds almost once a month and has grown four inches in less than a year! He's outgrown his current cage and I've picked out a cage from Boaphile plastics. Problem! I'm not sure if it'll be big enough in another year! What can I do? I can't afford to buy two cages in two years! I'd like to know how big a pen I should get in order to allow him comfortable living space now and in another year? And, is it normal for him to be growing so fast? He's four, and I thought they slowed down. Will he continue to grow at this rate much longer? :-/

Re: What size for what size?

He most definitely should slow down, especially if he is a male. As for the size of cage I currently keep my female 7 1/2' boa in a Vision V632 (6x3x18&quot but that is bigger than she requires.

Comment

I hoped he would slow down soon. He can't possibly keep this pace up! He eats once a week, sometimes more, and I'm not stuffing him. He gives me the signal that he's hungry! And the strange thing is he doesn't get any fatter, just longer. At 7 feet he only weighs 17 pounds! I was worried that he was too thin and he might have a problem, but the vet did tests and he has no health problems. He's just "going through a growth spirt" is what she said. This is one long growth spirt! He just started another shed cycle on sunday, its exactly three weeks since his last shed! And the last time, he shed twice in two weeks!
      Is it possible that there is something else wrong with him that the vet didn't catch?
      He's my baby and I worry about him. I hope he's okay. :-/ ???

Comment

Sounds like you have a "Shaquil O'Neil" of snakes!! It don't know what the average weight a 7 1/2 boa should weigh, but as long as you aren't seeing his spine or rib cages you know that he isn't in danger from being underweight. I would check with some of the veterans of the forum who have a lot more experience. Good luck!

Comment

My 7 1/2 ' boa only weighs around 17 pounds as well. She is perfectly healthy. I haven't weighed her since 7' and at that time she was 15.5 pounds so I am just guessing on her weight but she couldn't be much more than that.

Comment

If you ordered the 4' enclosure, you should be quite fine.

Comment

HI,
              The number one reason for boa's growing is food, how often are you feeding that adult and how much.
               Most males tend to be on the slender side, so don't worry about that. I try and cut back on feeding frequency at one year and then again at two. Most snakes are designed for little fasting breaks after  feeding, and many reptile experts feel less is better for life span and health.
                      Doug
              PSps is it possible he may be a hybrid from a mating between a bci and bcc???

Comment

Working...
              X