This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Columbian Boa and a Boaphile

Well I am about to by my third snake, but my mom has a 2 snake rule. As of right now I have a ball python and an Irain Jaya Carpet Python. I am selling my carpet because my Ball Python was the very first one I owned and I have to buy and Columbian Boa. I am going to by a Columbian Boa and a boaphile 36x24x24 to start off with. I am going to opt for the expandable end and the shelf. I am using flexwatt heat-tape and a taylor temp gage. I use aspen bedding in all my cages so I will stay with that. I have three hide spots (all clay pots). One on the shelf, the other 2 on the bottom of cage with one in the cooler end and one in the warmer end. I wnat a cool temp of 82 and warmer of 90. I wish i could afford an Guyana, but I cant so I'll settle for the Columbia. I was woundering if anyone thinks I should do anything differently. I want to know what you would do if you had to do it over.

Re: Columbian Boa and a Boaphile

Everyone is reading , but no one is responding

Comment

Come on now tell me something. THROW ME A BONE

Comment

Whats wrong with your carpet python?

Comment

Nothing is wrong with my carpet python. I love red-tails and have always wanted one. My carpet is not a heavy bodied snake and those are my perferance.

Comment

Everything looks good to me. I guess the next step will be to purchase you cage and the snake.

My only advice is to be carefull where you buy your snake from. Thats going to be a good chunk of money that you will have tied up in your cage so be shure to get a pretty and healthy boa.

-Josh

Comment

I'll throw you a bone but you probley won't like it...  It has to do with people buying snakes and selling them for another one....  They way I see it is when you buy a snake you keep it...  enless there is real reason to get red of it....  Not just becuse it is just a lil' skinny for you.. There is alot of snakes in bad homes/rescues because of just this type of thing... I can see breeders do this but that is because of the need for fresh blood lines... I think that you should just wait for a couple of years and get one when you move out on your own... My mom had a no snake rule... so when I was 17 I moved out and got a snake.... it was not that hard to wait...
              Also you said that you can not afford the snake you want why don't you just save for a lil' while to get it... You are paying like $400-600 for that cage and setup. That is alot of money.. you will enjoy the snake that you want alot more then one that is kinda the same... I worry that if you get a colmbian that you would just sell it in a lil' while because the ball was your first and you want another snake...  
              Eric aka...Red

Comment

I most definately agree.Dont ever get ridof your snake for a new one.I belive Karma is a mother s5.gif b17.gif....

Comment

I agree with Red SO many times over.

Its just cruel. Imagine if a mother had a son, got bored of him, so just sold him so she could have a girl?!

My mother hates snakes. Like, she'll turn on and off their lamps for me and thats IT. She however, knows that I adore them more than anything, and allows me to have them. I have 7 at the moment, and am working up my 10th. *shrugs* But I'm babbling, for this really isn't going to make any difference. :-X

Last comment: Irian Jaya Jungle Carpets are so pretty! >(

Comment

Well I agree with you, but I know a person. Well his name is Paden. He was the one who got me into Boas and he has been dieing for it since I bought it the main reason I am going to give it to him. The other was an excuse for my parents there telling me I am losing money on the deal. I am not losing money and he will recieve a better home then can give him. Paden breeds snakes and has alot more funding then I do. I have always loved one of his guyanas witch is the reason I always wanted one. I am also not really settling for the columbian because after the first week I am not going to care what he looks like, but I will care about his temperament and his care. I have enough money to buy everything I need for a columbian. I will be buying a 20 gal breeder and wait till summer for the Boaphile. It is my fault my info I gave yall was off by about 20 or so yards. hope yall keep checking

Comment

Not just becuse it is just a lil' skinny for you.. There is alot of snakes in bad homes/rescues because of just this type of thing...
                      I have to agree 100% on this one. Doing rescue/rehab myself here. We tend to see quite a lot of this going on even. arghhh

REPTILES ARE NOT A DISPOSABLE PET !!

IF PROPER research was done PRIOR to obtaining a reptile, then it would alleviate MANY reptiles that wind up in rescue from coming across the paths of MANY of us rescuers..for one thing.

I wnat a cool temp of 82 and warmer of 90.
                      PLEASE research what the temps are for a BOA more in depth prior to obtaining one. these temps you have stated are NOT what is generally reccomended for keeping BCI BOAS in at all by a lot of experienced keepers.

I have enough money to buy everything I need for a columbian
                      I don't know where your getting your info from, BUT from my experience with BOTH the BCI and the GUYANA BOAS.. The relative cost in maintaining them is correlative. It is the cost relative to obtaining one vs the other that is not.

I have always loved one of his guyanas witch is the reason I always wanted one
                      my mom has a 2 snake rule.
                      taking the two above quotes from you and applying them in reference to your obtaining a new snake ie BCI BOA for some reason just leads me to think that the time will come when you "have lost interest in the BCI/colombian BOA" and then yet again..There will be another snake that needs a new home to make room for the "current" snake that you "want" in your collection. IMO..This is NOT a responsible thing to be doing at all. keeping reptiles requires a "level of responsibility" that should be attained PRIOR to obtaining any.

I am also not really settling for the columbian because after the first week I am not going to care what he looks like, but I will care about his temperament and his care.
                      REALLY?? ... Perhaps you SHOULD care what the snake looks like. I know I for one freak when something doesn't look right with any under my control or in my collection. I always thought that was the correct thing to be doing.

Sometimes things come to those of us who wait for the right time. Wouldn't it be a better thing to be doing to continue to provide the neccassary care etc for the carpte rather than just "scooting" it out the door in order to replace it with something else.. ?? Remember.. these are living creatures that your dealing with here.

I do have 1 question for you though...
                      How old are you actually ?

Comment

expecially when you have no idea about what you are talking about. People like you are the ones who drive people away from this hobby. ARe you a friend of Bob Clarks ?  If you are I hope you were not affected.  
                        First of all LORI is a Global Moderator, which means she knows alot about Reptiles. LORI knows what she is talking about.

Second lets talk about that Bob Clark forum. You went on Bobs site and  acted immature, and childish.  Sending insulting emails was stupid and immature. But did it stop there...of course not.  You went and threatened to tell Bob and Dr Owen, only when you did they agreed with Jeff and the others so you went on this forum with the stupid immature post labeled: Warning Bob Clark, and Warning about Bob Clark*****. Which incase you haven't notice have been deleted.

There are right ways and wrong ways to conduct yourself on forums. And insulting people especially moderators who know ALOT about reptiles and other people who are expierenced the field of Herps won't get you anywere but kicked off the forum.

As far as cage size, temp, humidity goes:
                        an Adult Boa needs a minimum enclosure size of 4feet long by 2feet wide by 2feet high. They need a background temp of 80-85 degrees F,and a hot spot of 90-95 degrees F.
                        The humidity should be 50-60%

Comment

As far as you dumping one snake for a new one goes, snakes are not trading cards draco842. So you better make sure that when you get the Boa that you are going to keep it. And DON'T  make dumping one snake for a new one a habit.

As far as cage size, temp, humidity goes:
                          an Adult Boa needs a minimum enclosure size of 4feet long by 2feet wide by 2feet high. They need a background temp of 80-85 degrees F,and a hot spot of 90-95 degrees F.
                          The humidity should be 60-70%
                          Hahaha, I had that same "trading card" thought earlier while thinking about this issue on the way home from college....

For the record, an enclosure of that size costs anywhere from $200 up. Boas and other large snakes are going to end up being the most expensive animal.

and yeah... You'll be fine with that common boa until you see a gorgeous Suriname boa, or the Amarlis.... Or better yet the albino or snow boas!! It's really sad, but I look at my two boas, look at others, such as the ones I mention and I think "Wow. I've two of the most ugliest boa constrictors out there." But, I love them to death and I wouldn't trade them for ANY other snake out there.

I am actually adopting two snakes next week from someone else who is bored of his animals and wants something "more interesting." and I know LORI has plenty of adoption horror stories.....

Comment

*shrugs* My two boa constrictors HATE anything above 84 degrees.

But that really doesn't matter.

Comment

LORI knows ALOT more than you think.

I will let the Moderators explain how you are to conduct yourself on forums.

No hard feelings draco842,

By the way I have a book on Boas that you might be interested in getting. The authers of the book are: Jeff Ronne, Philippe de Vosjoli, and Roger Klingenberg. All of which are experts.

The name of the book is: The Boa Constrictor Manual.
                              It has alot of great info that comes in handy. It talks about several diseases and illnesses, heating, enclosure setup, feeding, breeding info, ect. It also talks about that dreaded IBD illness.  IBD stand for Inclusion Body Disease.

Comment

Working...
                              X