X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My guyana PLace is warming

HI,
    That nice MR Flippinrocks brought me my Guyana PLace and he stuck around to help assemble it. It was very easy to instal only a few interlocking parts, He's got this idea down to an art form.
     Step  one  this puppy is 6 ft by 42 inches..  
    Step one done

The remainder of the cage slides in to tracks and has a few screws that hold it inplace.
     A large burm could slip thru that opening in the center of the cage and the ch'es opening the pic dosen't show scale well
    this is one half of the first floor

da flippin rock making a housecall

and here's the cage warming, the cage on top is 2/6 ft
    the new cage is 42 in deep 24 in tall and 6 ft long

plan to check the temps a few day before moving the Guyana's in those lucky snakes.

Re: My guyana PLace is warming

Doug,
    great looking cage. I've been in touch with Nick about building me one like that sometime down the road. Is your heat source only gonna be those 2 che's or are you putting in a heat mat as well? Are there any cord hole grommets to place probes in the cage or heat mats inside?

Comment

HI,
      good question I put two additional desert ray heat mats under the shelf in the back, I proably didn't need them the heat cycles off in about 2 mins and dosen't come on for nearly 30 mins this cage dosen't need much additional heat once warm, I didn't want to risk any cool spots under the hide them Guyana don't do well under 82,,, I had the mats from those forty critter cage ( i gave my last two forty critter tanks  to mr flippinrocks as a thank you for hellping me assemble this cage. I have  zero glass tanks now and will never reccomend them for new pet owner's mr flippin has some 25 boa's and has a warm room for them so glass ain't a problem..
         If you look close bove the guyana's head you can see one of the mats there are two under the shelf all the heat che's and mattsare tied in to one thermostat thru a power strip those heat mats use very little wattage, the che's I bought seem to work really well see how mr flippin rocks made the che covers with 1/4 inch plexi  caps i put my hands on the covers today to see if its hot it was barely warm with the che on the heat goes right thru the plexi... neat, neat,,
      now the down size this cage is going to be a bit of trouble to clean , i plan to invest in a sponge mop like you use in the kitchen and the I can scrube the walls and floor when the messy moments occur.. as they say poo happens....
      Here's Holley and Rudee's first moments in the cage.
      You can't tell because of the flash its pretty dark under the shelf the Guyana are already there now hanging under the shelf like its a hide.. For some reason my Guyana avoid bright light if I turn on a light they head to the back of the cage or into a hide
      must be a bit nocturnal, I ve read they feed mostly at dusk in the wild.

and here's Samule and his Girl Camille in their new cage it should be large enough for the BCI ,,I hope its 2/6/2.. samuel always check everything in his cage,, he even was nosing around the thermometer, worse than a dang cat.

I think this cage is going to work for me and I need to stretch and limber up a bit anyway..   :P
      doug

Comment

Doug,
        Is that some kind of insulation under the heat mats? Is the purpose of that to retain heat in the shelf?

Comment

HI,
          your not supossed to puncture the heat mats, so I attached them to that insulation I used in the past and then attach the insulation with large washer to the top of the hide this insures the mat is not punctured in any way only the insulation. The mat maker stated never puncture any portion of the mat.
            I didn't want to risk a fire, the insulation has special high temp duck tape holding the mats on . this is attached to the shelf with 2 inch washers and screws, its held in place like a picture frame .
            the mats barely reach 100 degrees when on so the snake can't be burned. the cage coast most of the time  the che's cuts the heat off almost in 2 mins .. I have a 2 degree drift the thermostat cycles at 80- and cuts out at 82, above the shelf its 82-84..  Not bad the guyana have only been on the shelf once so far. But they are active at night when I am asleep i found a thermometer on the floor and water on one side of the cage somebody was playin in a water dish after last nites roudy time.
            doug

ps somebody is hanginout today, I think he wants out.

Comment

Doug,
            Instead of the insulation, can'y you just tape the mats under the shelf?

Comment

Is it not suprising that the two che's in that cage don't do the job...??
              I had one heating a glass aquiam that lost heat like a tin can in a snow bank...
              Eric aka....Red

Comment

hi,
                I tried taping heat mats in a humid cage and guess what it became unstuck in about 20 mins and the mats were on the floor of the cage, even with that super tape (duck).
                SO I attach the mats to a slightly larger piece of insualtion and then attach the insulation to the floor of the shelf with really large washer(total of four) the washers sort of hold the insulation in place on all four corners. Ths tape is secured all around the insulation with out covering the heater side. This has worked so far. you don't want to punture any portion of the heat pad that will allow moisture to enter the mat and who know what could happen, Imay just pull both of them out next week any way the che are working well..
                doug

Comment

Working...
                X