This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody have any suggestions?

I have decided to build my boa a custom inclosure that will be 6' long x 4' high x 2' feet deep. I am planning to have two staggerd shelves at different heights. I am planning on using RHP's for the heating. My question is can and should I place one on the bottom of the lowest shelf and another on the top of the cage on the opposite side? Or are there other places I should put them? Do I need any sort of thermostat for the RPH's? I am also planning to go with some sort of UTH for the hot spot. Will this be enough to heat this size of cage? By the way I am planning to build it out of melamine with a wooden frame.
    Any bodies input wouls be appreciated.

Re: Anybody have any suggestions?

So does nobody have any opinion that could be usefull. I have read all the stuff concerning the RPH's but I was just wondering if someone had some personal experince with their placement within a cage that could be helpfull to me.

Comment

the enclosure i built is pretty much the same size. i use one pro-products RHP fastened to the top of the enclosure and it's all the heating i need. i have a shelf which gives me a great hot spot that stays around 90-92. The RHP is fastened so it only covers one side of the cage, which give me a great temperature gradient from one side to the other. i have some flexwatt heat tape i'm going to eventually stick on the bottom of the cage becasue the temps get into the mid 70's underneath the shelf. you will definately need a thermostat because my RHP would heat my cage to 100 on the hot side. hope this helps.

Comment

Thanx man, what size RPH did you use? Do you think a small RPH on the bottom shelf would make it to hot overall? Or would it be best just to have a UTH on the bottom for heat and a hot spot? ???

Comment

my RHP is 21"x24", but my cage is 60"L x 40"H x 27" D.  your RHP would be a little bigger.   and stick it to the top of your enclosure.  you could use a UTH or flexwatt heat tape for the a space underneath the shelf.   run them both a thermostat and your temps will be fine (especially with melamine).  i have a 48"L x 24" x 24" melamine cage "supposedly" coming on monday.  i have a 24" x 12" RHP for it.  i'll know how well it heats hopefully on monday.

Comment

Thanx man that is exactly the type of experince I was looking for. This should make it alot easier when it comes time to put it together. 8)

Comment

Your cage sounds almost exactly like mine. Only mine is made out of straight wood. I'm using oak. And it 4 foot deep. I haven't finished it yet, but I'm almost there. What I've decided to do is to use flex watt, heat tape on the bottom of one side, then use a CHE on the top of that side, both on their own seperate thermostat. Then use a standard heating light on the other side, for light and some heat on that side as well. That'll be hooked up to a timer for daytime and night time. Let me ask you something though. How are you supporting your shelves? Are you just using standard L brackets for like wall shelving or are you using other braces?

Comment

i used a 1x4 in one corner, and nailed the other sides to cage.  it is incredible sturdy and matched my wood perfectly (i'm a little obsessive compulsive and the brackets kept me up at night thinking my snake would notice). in the second pick on this link you can see how i did mine.http://www.redtailboas.com/cgi-bin/y...75391;start=14

Comment

Thats right the cage with all the locks! I don't know if using a piece of 1x4 would work for my shelves, thinking about using some form of bracket. Haven't yet got it all fiqured out, thats why I'm looking for suggestions. Should have no problems from here out as my father has volunteered to help this summer, he used to work in construction. Thanx agin for your help .

Comment

Working...
                  X