This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home made terrarium

You guys seem to know your stuff so I have a couple of questions. I am going to build a new home for BCI this summer and have not quite fiqured everything out yet. I am planning on making it 6x3x3 feet and was planning to use either wood or melamine. Which is better in the long run? Also I was wondering what I should use to heat something that lage effectivly, UTH, lamps, or other methods? Can you buy that heat tape you mentioned in stores? If it helps I am planning on includding a couple of shelfs as possible basking areas. Any ideas on this project would be greatly apreciated, thanks. :-/

Re: Home made terrarium

I would definately go with the melamine if you are custom building one. It stands up to the heat and humidity as well as spills, etc etc.

It is very heavy, so much in fact, that a 6 X 3 X 3, will require 2 people to move around.

The flexwatt heat tape is available at Big Apple Herp and is where I purchase mine and it is the best external heat source for melamine products. For internal heat, try the radiant heat panels.

www.bigappleherp.com
    To gain knowledge is good, but to share knowledge is wise

-Best Regards
    -Clay English
    Founder Redtailboas.com 1998-2013

Comment

Thanks clay! However what are radiant heat pannels, never heard of them befor, and where would I place them in the enclosure? You dont think I need any lamps?

Comment

Radiant Heat Panels (RHP) provide an even steady heat in the enclosure without a danger of burning the reptile.

They mount to the roof of the enclosure and radiate heat downward. They can last an extremely long time.

Here is an example of a RHP
        http://www.pro-products.com/proheat.html
        To gain knowledge is good, but to share knowledge is wise

-Best Regards
        -Clay English
        Founder Redtailboas.com 1998-2013

Comment

Never mind that question about what are heat pannels, went to the site and checked them out , neat never seen anything like that up here in canada. b27.gif All you usually get up here is heating lamps and and two or three different companies under tank hetat pads. Do you know if they ship up here? Any body have any recomendations as to where I would best use these pannels in a set up if I can get some? ???

Comment

the are screwed to the top of your enclosure. if you call bob at pro-products, he'll tell you everything you need to know about including the best place to put it. i have one for my cage that works great.

Comment

Thanks alot guys, I will look into this new (to me) way of heating as soon as I have everything finalized.

Comment

According to clay Flex watt can be used on mel. cage externally to heat the unit. My question is how????? i have mel cage, heat tape< flex watt> will not even raise temp to 72 degrees, plz clay i am not trying to flame, just want to know how you do it.

Comment

Working...
                X