This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glass Terrariums SUCK!!!!

I wish i had done more resaerch before I purchased my glass enclosure. It was not cheap, it is hard to keep the heat in and I have to spray it 2 X a day keep a wet towel on the top to keep the moisture at the bottom end of the acceptable range. The only plus is it is easy to clean!
    If I had to do it all over again, I would have spent a couple more bucks and got one of the enclousures mentioned in the fourm. >
    I am in the process of building a perminant home, and I have been very careful to consider all the basic needs to make her home the best possible and easy for me to care for.
    My recomendation for anyone who is looking to get started in the wonderfull world of Herp parenting, make your life simple and do your new friend a favour and set up a proper home!

Re: Glass Terrariums SUCK!!!!

Hi,
     YEp you're right about that, if you have a couple like I do I found a trick that works pretty good for forty critter tanks,
    Put a rather large UTH or heat tape under that tank about 50-60% of the floor of that cage , put it on a thermostat, I usally tie two tanks into one thermostat cut out i usally put the thermostat sensor about 1 inch off the floor near the heated side. them uths hit 110 in about 15 min if you don't use a thermostat.
     Next I put a couple layers of paper on the floor and splash a cup of water on the paper and then throw a towel ovet the top and the tank has instant humidty that last about two day's heck you gotta, change that water any way.
      I haven't had one problem with this set up ( poo's are normal and regular, ditto for sheds being complete.

Let me know if it works   Doug s31.gif

Comment

sorry that i can't send pics ( not that im affraid of technology, i just cant afford all if it just yet! > ). my glass terrarium setup is temporary while i finish construction of a permanant home for Cleo, so im not too stressed about having a little extra work for now. But i am going to try the newspaper trick, i have seen others use it and it seems to work well. I currently use aspin shavings about 1" thick with a UTH covering about 60% and a 75W light source. The temp is good, it's just the humidity that sucks!
      I am hoping to have Cleo's permanant estate home finished before the end of Aug. Maby i can borrow a friends digital camera and post some pics.

PS thanks for your help, i appriciate all input and have learned a great deal from this forum.

Comment

HI,
         Lose the lite and throw a towel over the top and you should hold humidity, you could even put paper under the aspen to hold humidty and the aspen will seem dry to the boa,

Most external heat sources creat an updraft like a chimney and  suck the humidity out of the cage.
         Heck my gas furnace in my home lowers the humidity the same way in the winter.
               good luck with that cage be sure to really seal it with a good poly and then re-seal it with fish tank sealent at all the seams to prevent warping.
           doug

Comment

the last pics you sent like look like my terrarium i am currently building! it is made of 3/4" maple/ply and is 6'long by 2'deep and over all 4'tall. Cleo's home is 30" which leaves almost 16" for storage underneath.for anyone reading this works well because it uses 2 full sheets of 4X8 with no waist ( just be carefull when cutting to allow for the thickness of the material ). i am planning on using glass sliders for the front aswell, and i was thinking of placing glass on the bottem of the enclosure with a heat source under it (like a sandwich), i figure it would make for easy cleaning!
          i like the look of the natural wood inside, it makes it look more natural than plastic coated ply and my terrarium is going to be a focal point of the room (someday ;D).
          thank for all your help

Comment

Make sure you do not plan on putting to much on top of a cage with sliding dores.. If you do it can after time make the wood pinch the galss dore's... which is a good thing and bad... good side your boa can not get out.... bad side is you can not get your boa out... just somthing to think about... if you plan now you can put some extra support in the top so that it can hold waight...
            Eric aka...Red

Comment

good point red, thanks for the tip. sounds like you learned that one the hard way >.
              thanks for the newspaper trick doug. is has been 3 days and the humidity is 50-55% without having to hose her down 3X a day. i dont know what i would do without guys like you. ;D

Comment

Yes they do :}
                I followed some advice & got melamine for my cages. . . My dh built me 2 - 6' cages. .  we only actually got around to putting 1 together thus far, but have pieces cut out & ready for 2 - 6' cages . . anyhow, the melamine is EASY to clean retains heat. . . :} My only problem was trying to decide on what kind of doors I wanted set up . .. :}
                Tara
                BTW, they are strong:} The only drawback I had found is that a 6ft Melamine cage weighs about a tun!!! :}

Comment

just a quick update, with the wet newspaper and a towel over the top, the humidity is over 55% and she just shed perfectly the other day. it just goes to show that if you ask enough questions, you eventualy find a solution.
                  Thanks everyone for your all your help. :

Comment

I have a ballpython in a glass enclosure. WHat I do is keep a large tupperware container filled with sphagnum moss. I keep the moss damp and have a hole cut out on top for "Arakis" to get in and out. She uses the box regularly, particularly during a shed. All her sheds have been perfect since putting the box in the enclosure. I also keep about 3/4 of the screen top covered with plastic (away from the heat lamp of course). Her water bowl also helps to add moisture. Overall, using these methods, her enclosure is usually right around 70% RH according to the gauge.

Larry

Comment

I have a ball python and a Boa living together in the same habitat.My tank is set up with a damp towel over the top of one end.I have a large bowl with water in it.The humidity is consistantly around 65-75%..I mist the tank if it needs it but most of the time it does not.Iv never had a problem with my glass enclosure.The only problem is that it loses heat fast because of the glass cooling down.So i have 2 UTH that cover both ends.One pad is where they sleep and the other is under there basking spot on the cool end of the tank.Iv always had full sheds by my snakes and no problems.

Comment

Working...
                      X