This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ok, new cage, which kind?

cwm24.gif I'm not able to build a cage, so which brand or type is most suitable for the Dumerils & or Hogg Island boas?? I think some hold humidity/temps worse than others etc.. & good ventilation ?  Please advise  cwm24.gif  Thanks

Re: Ok, new cage, which kind?

My suggestion is a BoaPhile cage or a Vision cage. The only two I would trust other than the "All Glass Aquariums" with an escape proof lid from "FlippinRocks" who's a member here. Make sure the Aquarium is a 40 gallon breeder or bigger. Have fun and good luck with your search.

Comment

My vote is for a boaphileplastics cage from Jeff Ronne.

Truly a very nice cage for a very good price.

http://www.boaphileplastics.com
      To gain knowledge is good, but to share knowledge is wise

-Best Regards
      -Clay English
      Founder Redtailboas.com 1998-2013

Comment

My boa is only 5 months old. Since she is a baby, I did not want to overwhelm her with a huge enclosure. So I purchased a glass reptilium which has air vents on both ends and an escape-proof lid. I put decorative habitat paper on the outside of the glass to make her think she is out in the wild. I doubt that she is deceived entirely, but I did see her trying to climb the huge log in the photo once. She has a large water bowl, a hide box (half hollow log) and a nice piece of drift wood to climb on. I use a 75 watt bulb at one end of the cage, a self regulating heat pad underneath the hot end and a UV light on the cool end. She seems to be happy and healthy.

Comment

What kind of a substrate is that?

Comment

It's some kind of a soft wood shaving. I will try to find out exactly the name. My neighborhood pet shop owner gave it to me for free to try out. She uses it for all of her pet shop reptiles (snakes and lizards). My boa loves it! She tunnels under it for fun. You can see this in the above photo where she appears to be missing. But in this photo she has climbed out and onto the driftwood log. She's a lot more active with this wood substrate than she was when I used newspaper.

Comment

I would agree with tc exatly... Those three set up's are the best one's you can have for boa's in genral... inless you have alot of money... I don't i bought a jeff rone cage and when I get it, it will be the best cage ever... they are light, expandable, front door opening, and easy to clean... On top of all of that they keep humidity right where you want it.... so my vote is a jeff rone cage..
              ERIC aka....Red

Comment

When I had my last boa, I originally built a cage out of melamine. It worked OK but I was never happy with the door setup(I'm not the handiest guy around...just ask my wife). I then bout a cage from Bush Herpetological that was made by Neodesha. It worked out great!. When I was on the Bush Herp website the other day, I noticed that they are shutting down so maybe they will discount what ever cages they have left (worth checking into).

Good luck.
                Larry

Comment

Working...
                X