DIY tv conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY tv conversion

Hello, I hope this don't seem to long...I'm thinking of using an old floor model tv cabinet for a cage, rough measurment are 32L x 16w x 21h. I wanted some ideas on a couple things before I commit to this project. 1) I wan't sure whether to use glass as a bottom or wood, Glass i would think is easier to clean. 2) Heating. I know there r a lot of variables for every1 but, to use RHP or some kind of UTH. I haven't used either, my current tank is a aquarium & I use heat lamps. 3) I am considering painting the inside black & using clear over that to seal, the inside isn't stain grade wood. Any help/ tips is appriciated Thanks in advance Darrell

Re: DIY tv conversion

I saw a Old wooden tv get tuned into a Terrarium last year at a reptile show here in Port,OR
    sigpic

Jeffrey Ryan Roecker
    Gresham,OR
    Save our Reptiles!!
    I Brake for Snakes!!::

Comment

Did it look good? Here's where I'm starting from...I had to remove all the guts. I'm going to have the top hinge & put solid glass or acrylic in the front w/ a solid wood back?
      Attached Files

Comment

That should work, as long as it's secure, holds humidy and doesn't mold.

Comment

It's just crazy enough to work. For the bottom, I would put a piece of plywood and cover it with linoleum and silicone around the edges. This would also allow you to sandwich flexwatt or whatever UTH between the wood and the linoleum if you want belly heat. The RHP would be advisable over incandescent or CHE if you need to raise the ambient temperature of the space. So it would depend on the room temperature whether you need RHP, UTH, or both.

For sealant, on my latest (ongoing) project, I found a black tinted polyurethane which does double duty as a stain and sealant. Hope his helps and good luck. What is going to be residing in the enclosure when it's finished?
          sigpic

Comment

Thanks natieb, what is the poly u found (name). Temp, I keep the house 72/74 deg. +/- a lil, & I will be putting a "normal" boa in it. I was concerned about sealing as not to kill her w/ fumes since your keeping heat in it all the time. Would rhp serve as both a basking area & ambient heat? Thanks

Comment

Natieb covered mostly how I might approach this as well

Although I might consider using a whole other layer of wood on each of the
              interior partitions(walls) and ceiling. Like maybe 1/4 inch plywood or Luan.
              These wood materials would be stainable and sealable with
              Hellsman Spar Urethane.
              Creating a more heat & humidity efficient container that is more
              easily cleaned as well.
              Then as Natieb suggested use vinyl sheet flooring to finish off the floor.

Lar M
              Boas By Klevitz

sigpic

Comment

Thanks boa amarali, I will start working on it soon & keep yall posted as I'm sure I will have more ? lol. I think it will work for a while as the snake i have is a baby now, & later I can use it as a base & set a bigger tank on top maybe.

Comment

Hello ever1, thought I'd share my update. I finished most of the work on my project... the inside I primed w/ kiltz 2 (latex) then 2 coats of valspar latex enamel followed by 3 coats of minwax polycrylic clear gloss, For the bottom I used 1/4" hardboard (painted) then put a 1/4" piece of laminated safety glass on top, the front & back has the same 1/4" glass also. I used a piece of the hardboard (painted also) to cover the back of the cabinet. I used 2 self closing hinges for the top access w/ 2 cabinet door latches to help keep her from coming out for now & I found a 22" under cabinet light that uses T-8 fluorescent bulbs. All of the supplies I found at Lowe's except the glass, there are more pieces of trim but I won't mention all of the small details lol... now when finances allow I will be ordering my t-stat & rhp to finish it off. Thanks Darrell , I'll post some pics soon as I take them

Comment

Hello ever1, thought I'd share my update. I finished most of the work on my project... the inside I primed w/ kiltz 2 (latex) then 2 coats of valspar latex enamel followed by 3 coats of minwax polycrylic clear gloss, For the bottom I used 1/4" hardboard (painted) then put a 1/4" piece of laminated safety glass on top, the front & back has the same 1/4" glass also. I used a piece of the hardboard (painted also) to cover the back of the cabinet. I used 2 self closing hinges for the top access w/ 2 cabinet door latches to help keep her from coming out for now & I found a 22" under cabinet light that uses T-8 fluorescent bulbs. All of the supplies I found at Lowe's except the glass, there are more pieces of trim but I won't mention all of the small details lol... now when finances allow I will be ordering my t-stat & rhp to finish it off. Thanks Darrell , I'll post some pics soon as I take them

Comment

Well here's where I'm at so far
                      Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                      X