enclosure help?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• enclosure help?!

So this weekend I'm building a custom enclosure for my Boa. I'm using Melamine. Now would 5ftx2ftx1.5ft(LDH) be good enough for a normal Boa?

Re: enclosure help?!

Averages say yes, however there is no way to know how big your boa will get until it gets that size. if you are going to take the time/energy to build an enclosure, I would make it at least 6' long just to be on the safe side.
    http://berkeleyknebel.wix.com/mississippimorphs

Photo credit:Eddie Ard .....Banner Credit:Big PaPa Ernest

Comment

You should be fine. How do you plan to heat it?

Tim

http://www.facebook.com/BoidsOhio?bookmark_t=page

Comment

I went with a 5x2 and it proved to be way too small. I agree with Zamora... Go bigger. Do it once, do it right. Your snake will appreciate the space.

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Fu Joe View Post
          I went with a 5x2 and it proved to be way too small. I agree with Zamora... Go bigger. Do it once, do it right. Your snake will appreciate the space.
          I don't agree. I have several 4x2x1.5 stacks and all my girls are fine in them. If you are only going to have one boa and you want the cage visually appealing to you, by all means make it as large as you want. Just make sure you have different temperature zones and you can maintain proper humidity throughout the enclosure.

Tim

http://www.facebook.com/BoidsOhio?bookmark_t=page

Comment

enclosure help?!

How old is your boa currently? I think most boas in the 6-7ft range are fine in a 4x2 cage. But once they start to approach 8ft I would start to think about upgrading them to a 6x2 cage. Adult sizes for boas will vary but usually you can get a general idea of their potential size by the time they're 3-4 years old. For example I have a 4 year old boa who is just over 5ft. I doubt very much she's ever going to be a 10ft plus monster, lol. One of my 2014 females is almost the size of my 2013's, it's possible her growth rate will slow down but I think she'll probably be on the larger side. Genetics play a significant role in how large a boa will get in addition to feeding schedules. All that being said, if your boa is relatively young I'd go with a 4x2 cage. Maybe down the line you'll need to upgrade to a larger cage but it takes a long time for a boa to get to that size so you got plenty of time.
            Also I responded to this on my phone even though my laptop is sitting on my lap and on the forum's homepage, lol. Clearly playing Bloodborne for three days straight wasn't good for my mind. Sleep now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            “I love deadlines. I love the whooshing noise they make as they go by.” -DA
            www.outworldreptiles.com

Comment

She's about 4 ft at the age of 2. I ended up using plywood instead of melamine. I still haven't gotten around to building it. I will have to get exact measurements tomorrow

Comment

Working...
              X