Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Enclosure for my BCC :)

Hello everyone,

So I put my old exo terra to good use again and built it up for my male baby BCC.
    I used to own green tree pythons and emerald tree boas a couple years ago and came up with a cool idea for perfect humidity and temps and I have applied it to this cage too.
    I have a thermostat/hygrostat controlling the ceramic heat emitter and other things like lighting and humidity, the fish tank heater has its own thermostat too. I blocked up the meshing on the top of the cage but left small breathing holes, the rising warm air will circulate the air in the cage and push the old air out.

I used this cage for my last Sorong green tree python for about two years. but I had no substrate and the setup was slightly different.

Anyway the cage was empty as I sold the green tree python last year sometime. So I put this together this afternoon, its a little bit of a work in progress, will probably take stuff out or put other things in over time depending on the behavior of the snake and what looks aesthetically pleasing as well as serves a purpose. But for now I'm happy.

He is busy cruising around at the moment exploring his new environment He hasn't left the branches yet, I doubt he will to be honest. From the hundreds of boas that I have kept in the past I have found that as long as they have a nice setup with branches they usually just chill in a branch and every now and then enter there hide or go down to drink water or they just stretch down and drink while hanging from a branch.

Just after cleaning and putting branches inside.

added some Aspen bedding.

everything in.

the Humidity system.

My female is still in her tub, I will have to source another exo terra like this for her but for now I decorated her tub quite nicely and have it setup with all her housing, temp and humidity needs.

Re: New Enclosure for my BCC

Your light & CHE is on the outside, right? can't tell from pics... and [QUOTE]... hundreds of boas that I have kept in the past...[QUOTE] ??? Anyway, looks good & "boa-approved"!

Comment

[quote=Noelle7206;732102]Your light & CHE is on the outside, right? can't tell from pics... and [QUOTE]... hundreds of boas that I have kept in the past...
      ??? Anyway, looks good & "boa-approved"!
      Thanks
      Yea I have had so many boas I have lost count long ago, I have had so many snakes in general, however I haven't had many bcc, This is my second pair and I had one baby female about 7 or 8 years ago.

Yes the ceramic heat emitter is on the outside, you can see that in the last photo as for the light, its not something he is able to wrap himself around due to the way I have mounted it and its extremely low wattage so produces negligible heat, its purely there for aesthetics.

Comment

I'd avoid any lights 'in' the enclosure because they can cause a shocking conclusion, if you get my drift? Snakes are long & may be damp (think water bowl) & only have to touch not wrap around a light, which they
        can do rather easily. My concern wasn't about the heat it might produce.

Yes, now I see where your CHE is...that's a very small cone-type fixture, for safety I do hope it's rated to handle the wattage of the CHE? (& is it ceramic, where the bulb is?)

If there's no "belly heat" (UTH under part of the cage) that would also explain why he never leaves the branches...he needs the right temperatures as well as the right "security". Personally, I'd add some UTH,
        as it appears to be a LOT of space for one CHE to do the job. Also, I prefer to use 'belly heat' (at least in conjunction with other methods) & some studies support that as the best for snakes digestion. Have
        you checked the temperatures in all areas (using a temp gun)? Just wondering what the floor is when only using the CHE? You're likely to need seasonal adjustments too, with so much un-insulated glass, but
        I do love the "look".

Comment

Cool, thanks for the helpful advice but the light will stay inside the enclosure as its a very safe setup that I have used for years. The connectors are rubber and built to withstand water as it comes from a fish tank

As for the CHE cone, I have a large cone which I don't use because then the CHE sits over the plastic beams of the exo-terra and if anything would be dangerous that would be it! My CHE is a small 100w, it doesn't produce too much heat at all.
          There is belly heat I have a small heat pad placed under the hide, he just never uses it. Its the same thing with my female in her space saver tub, I have a heat pad mounted on the side and a small low wattage one under her hide, yet she chills in the branch I mounted to the side almost 95% of the time.

I have a digital thermostat/hygrometer in this cage and the probes are on the right side of the cage so that it measures the ambient air temp and humidity, I also have an analogue hygrometer/thermometer on the left close to the CHE and I have another one on the far right near the highest branch. "so thats 1 digital and 2x analogue"

So this should alleviate any further stress you may have regarding this setup
          When he gets to a decent size I will build him and the female large wooden enclosures like I have done in the past.

Comment

Nice enclosure as long as you can keep the temps and humidity where they need to be, I say go for it. I would like to make a suggestion to attach some of the decorative fish tank backgrounds to the outside of three sides of the enclosure, it will make it really decorative and provide a very secure feeling for your boas as it will block all the movement around him.

Something like this: Top FinĀ® Tropical Greenery Aquarium Cling | Backgrounds | PetSmart
            http://berkeleyknebel.wix.com/mississippimorphs

Photo credit:Eddie Ard .....Banner Credit:Big PaPa Ernest

Comment

Originally posted by Sachakogel View Post
              As for the CHE cone, I have a large cone which I don't use because then the CHE sits over the plastic beams of the exo-terra and if anything would be dangerous that would be it! My CHE is a small 100w, it doesn't produce too much heat at all.
              .....So this should alleviate any further stress you may have regarding this setup .....
              I'm very glad to know your inside light is specially-made for fish...obviously there is no way I can tell that and you'd be surprised at how many ppl post on forums doing the exact thing with lights that ARE dangerous.
              So I'd be remiss to say nothing, wouldn't I? though I did wonder, as you mentioned having kept so many...then again, for all we know you might have been killing them off?

CHE in cone fixture: I agree that using a larger fixture that's over the plastic beams would be asking for trouble, but the small fixtures I have & have seen like that are only rated for 60 watts, making that a fire hazard.
              The sticker inside them says so, btw. I don't know about you, but a fire is the very LAST thing I ever want to experience...I'm sure I speak for all the snakes too. I've seen some very tragic posts about cage fires.

No, I'm not "stressing" over your set-up, only commenting on possible pitfalls, to enlighten not only you but for anyone else who comes to this forum to learn the best ways of setting up their cages & may just copy yours!
              Especially as it's so attractive. I'm happy to know you've put a great deal of thought into this and only wish for your continued safe operations.

I prefer glass tanks myself, and customize them too...I agree with zamora's suggestion about adding backgrounds* for privacy...both attractive & functional. (*I use them as well)

Comment

Nice setup!

The thing about belly heat...
                1) boas spend a LOT of time in trees where there's no belly heat, simply ambient heat
                2) there's no belly heat in nature EXCEPT for surfaces that heat up due to solar heat. If we provide the same in captivity, there's no problem, right :-) And realistically... number 1 above

Belly heat became popular because of dome lighting/CHE's drying out the environment in mesh-top cages, and also due to stackable enclosures. But truthfully, ambient temps are, IMO, more important. Undertank heaters do very little for ambient temps off of the cage floor and CHE's/domes truly are a better source of heat, assuming humidity isn't an issue.

Again, OP, WELL done!

jb

Comment

Originally posted by Noelle7206 View Post
                  I don't know about you, but a fire is the very LAST thing I ever want to experience...I'm sure I speak for all the snakes too. I've seen some very tragic posts about cage fires.
                  There was one a little over 2 months ago. A heat light for a bearded dragon exploded when no one was around and started a fire killing the keeper's 30+ reptiles, destroying the house, and the two dogs who were the only survivors but suffered smoke inhalation. Fires are always something to keep in mind. All it takes is for some of the oils from your fingers on the bulb to cause unbalanced heating and a stress shatter. While it isn't common, it is something to keep in mind. The only bulbs I don't change with rubber gloves are LED because they don't heat up significantly.

Comment

Originally posted by acephantom903 View Post
                    There was one a little over 2 months ago. A heat light for a bearded dragon exploded when no one was around and started a fire killing the keeper's 30+ reptiles, destroying the house, and the two dogs who were the only survivors but suffered smoke inhalation. Fires are always something to keep in mind. All it takes is for some of the oils from your fingers on the bulb to cause unbalanced heating and a stress shatter. While it isn't common, it is something to keep in mind. The only bulbs I don't change with rubber gloves are LED because they don't heat up significantly.
                    Very sad, I didn't read about that particular one, but just one such fire is "too many".

I must admit I've never thought about using rubber gloves when changing light bulbs...I'd imagine that would be important for CHE's as well. Very good point, I'm all for safety & fire prevention.

I'll add that I don't "know" for a fact what wattage the OP's CHE fixture is rated for, but I mentioned that as a possible safety concern.

Comment

Originally posted by Jonathan Brady View Post
                      .... boas spend a LOT of time in trees where there's no belly heat, simply ambient heat.....
                      You deal with way more boas than I do so I certainly respect your opinion. But my impression is that some boas like to climb, while others do not. I also have to wonder whether the reason they climb trees in nature
                      is because the forest floor is shady, plus they are more at risk from predators while on the ground. I mean, sometimes you just have to go where the heat is? To be clear, I see nothing wrong with using either way of
                      heating for your snake cages (or both), as long as it "gets the job done" & the animals have options & seem comfortable & healthy.

Or, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

Comment

Absolutely beautiful set up .

What's the longest Boa that enjoyed climbing incidentally ??

Comment

Originally posted by Jonathan Brady View Post
                          Nice setup!

The thing about belly heat...
                          1) boas spend a LOT of time in trees where there's no belly heat, simply ambient heat
                          2) there's no belly heat in nature EXCEPT for surfaces that heat up due to solar heat. If we provide the same in captivity, there's no problem, right :-) And realistically... number 1 above

Belly heat became popular because of dome lighting/CHE's drying out the environment in mesh-top cages, and also due to stackable enclosures. But truthfully, ambient temps are, IMO, more important. Undertank heaters do very little for ambient temps off of the cage floor and CHE's/domes truly are a better source of heat, assuming humidity isn't an issue.

Again, OP, WELL done!

jb
                          Thank you

I have been stipulating these points for years but most people refuse to accept this for some reason. So many people are against CHE etc. Personally I have been using CHE for years for all my snakes, not just boas, I have always provided hides and branches for my snakes, For my last boa's cage I built a large enclosure, 2m width, 1m depth and 2.5m height, I used a CHE on the left, I placed a large heating pad under a large water bowl to provide humidity which I placed on the right side of the cage and then placed a large water bowl for drinking on the left side, I placed a large hide in the cage and it was in there for around a year, she never used it so eventually I removed it. This setup gave my boa such a prime setup, humidity was always perfect, and she had a warm side and a cool side.

This setup kept my boa very active, I had different levels of branches in there and so she would move between branches all the time to adjust her body heat as she wanted. You will be surprised how often she went from warm spots to cooler spots.
                          She never had a bad shed as humidity was always right and she had very good muscle definition because she was active, she didn't just chill inside a hide on a heating pad for weeks on end. Although that works for some people, I personally don't enjoy pet hides, Snakes are beautiful animals, give them a nice setup and you will get to enjoy them a bit more too.

Please don't think that I am shunning peoples tubs with a newspaper and water bowl setup, if that's how you want to keep your animals that's fine, they have the requirements they need in there I guess so if it works for you then cool go with it. Personally I like having good looking setups in my house, I have always hated tubs.

Thanks for all the compliments on my setup guys, I will post more as I build more stuff, I need to source another exo-terra for my female which I will try do as soon as possible.

Comment

Originally posted by Zincubus View Post
                            Absolutely beautiful set up .

What's the longest Boa that enjoyed climbing incidentally ??
                            Thank you

My previous boa as stated above in my last setup was just under 3m in length, she used the branches all the time. she wouldn't even come down to drink, she would hang from a branch and reach for her water bowl to have a drink. I will try find some photos of her and post them up.

Comment

I found some older pics of previous enclosures that I built in the past and some photos of some of my old boas and some other snakes of mine.

here I was putting her in prior to completion of the cage just to see how she finds the branches.

Here is a setup I built for a young male white lip

an Usambara bush viper I used to own

My Golden eyelash vipers cage, Very similar to my current BCC cage, some of the old foliage and branches have been used for my current setup.

Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X