This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flex Watt manufacturer (Calorique)

Calorique is the company that manufactures Flex Watt. I just visited there facilities today and I have to say that I was seriusly impressed. The people working there were extemely kind and curtious. They answered all my questions and even gave me a few suggestions. I actualy end up buying 2 feet of there under floor heating elements.
    It's low wattage 17 instead of the normal 20. It's 20.5 inches wide instead of the normal 11. I'm gonna be installing it inside my cage like Jeff Ronne does in his cages. I'll keep you informed as to how good it heats my Animal Plastics T25 72x30x18 cage. If anyone would like to deal with them instead of the middle man like "The Bean Farm" there web adress is www.calorique.com

Stay cool,
    Jim 8)

Re:Flex Watt manufacturer (Calorique)

Hey Jim,

I have contacted Calorique on several occasions, and they have repeatedly told me they only sell to the public in 100 foot rolls. Jeff ronne does buy direct from them but again in 100 foot rolls.

Just curious if they sold you 2 feet because you were there on the premises.
    To gain knowledge is good, but to share knowledge is wise

-Best Regards
    -Clay English
    Founder Redtailboas.com 1998-2013

Comment

Your not alone Clay. The time I called, they told me the same thing. Buy the roll..

I bet that tour was fun. I have a ton of Q's for their tech.. Need to call again oneday..

Steve

Comment

One point I would like to bring up about buying directly from the manufacturer vs. a dealer.......

There are several places that hobbyists such as most of us can buy our supplies from at reasonable prices. Certainly Big Apple Herp and Bean Farm are such an example. If we were buying direct rather then through them, these places wouldn't be able to stay in business too long. I don't know about the rest of you, but Big Apple has been a real blessing to me when I need something. They, and many of the others, offer stuff that we couldn't possibly get in out local pets stores...not at a reasonable price anyway.

I will gladly spend the extra bucks, buying from these dealers rather then the manufacturer direct, as long as it helps to keep some of these dealers around selling me the stuff I need.

OK..sorry for the soapbox ...I won't say anothe word.

Thanks!

Larry
        Waynesboro, VA

Comment

Larry I do agree to a certain point.

You are probably right when talking increments of 10 feet or so. Although I have purchased a lot from Big Apple Herp, in smaller increments.

But people that literally utilize 100 feet or more of the flexwatt, in which I do, would be better served buying direct. Especially when the per foot charge is HALF what the resellers charge for it.

The other MAJOR downfall right now is the 22 inch, low wattage per square foot, version of the flexwatt is not available through distribution at this point.

Other than that I am all for buying through channels.

-Best Regards
          -Clay English

Comment

Clay,

of course you are right, but you are not the average hobbyist, you have a business to run and flexwatt is overhead. You should be buying at the lowest price possible and I would have no problem buying from you or Jeff or Big Apple, etc. and I have no problem with you and the others making a profit on what I buy from you. My sore point is when the average hobbyist tries to same a few bucks rather then support the businesses that make our hobby possible.

Enough said...I don't mean t preach.

Larry
            Waynesboro, VA

Comment

Geee Clay it sounds like maybe Larry is giving you a hint.... how about some resale to your forum members. I know I for one could use about 5-10 ft of that 22" and I would order it from you if I knew that the profit would go back towards supporting this wonderful community!

Comment

You are right on the mark Larry. I agree with what you are saying. I do support as many reptile based companies as I can.

-Best Regards
                -Clay English

Comment

i have a quick question about the heat tape i was wanting to use that on the bottom on my large aquarium for floor heat but the aquarium is 300 lb empty the glass is 3/4"thick is is safe to put between the glass and the carpet or should i place it in the tank underneath the indoor outdoor carpet? the indoor outdoor carpet has a rubber bottom on it as well. thanks!!!!

Comment

[quote author=redtailedmel link=board=8;threadid=2718;start=msg18541#msg18541 date=1058040836]
                    i have a quick question about the heat tape i was wanting to use that on the bottom on my large aquarium for floor heat but the aquarium is 300 lb empty the glass is 3/4"thick is is safe to put between the glass and the carpet or should i place it in the tank underneath the indoor outdoor carpet? the indoor outdoor carpet has a rubber bottom on it as well. thanks!!!!
                    [/quote]

Don't do either one. Between the glass and carpet is very dangerous and a huge fire hazard not to mention overheating and cooking of your snake. Inside the enclosure also is a very bad idea due to overheating, the snake getting underneath the carpet, etc. etc. Heat tape can be VERY dangerous if not used properly. It needs good air flow around it in order to dissipate heat and it most definitely needs to be controlled with a rheostat or thermostat preferably the latter.

As for how to use it with your tank I would most likely buy a UTH and control it with a rheostat/thermostat rather than using heat tape at all, but if you want to use the heat tape then build something to set the tank on and you can attach the heat tape to it underneath making sure it is built to allow a nice air gap between the tape and the glass. I used a piece of thick plywood and then 2"x3/4" strips of wood. Placed the heat tape on the plywood and nailed down the wood strips to hold the heat tape in place by the edges. The rest of the wood strips I placed evenly across the plywood in order to support the enclosure I was setting on top of it. This works well and the cage can be moved without moving the heat tape and plug.

I did this in order to heat my big V632 vision enclosure.

A good link about heat tape and it's use is:

http://www.arbreptiles.com/cages/flexwire.html

and definitely read this one:

http://www.arbreptiles.com/cages/flexburn.html

This should answer most of your questions about heat tape.

Comment

hey slither thanks ill def. check those out. i dont have any floor heat because of the carpet, but the plywood idea sounds like it could work for me!

Comment

Working...
                      X