X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warning Exo-Terra UTH

Hi all,

Just a heads up.. I am sooooooo ticked off right now its not even funny. Most of you know I have many snakes, all differnt setups, all different heat sources, etc.. Well the UTH I was using under my male Surinam.. Just a 3 footer now.. Anyway the UTH made by Exo-Terra was tested twice in the past three months and it always stayed at a nice 95 degree's for belly heat. I have a rehostat on the line, but its on just a click under full. And today I took the surinams out to hold before they get fed and notices the male had 3 belly burns on him.. Right away I went in and checked the floor temp. 136.2.. That is 61.2 degrees higher then room temp.. Just wait till I get their customer service on the phone tomorrow. I am gonna trip out on them. I know the surinam will heal ok. But the poor guy should have never gotten the burn. I know all heat should be kept on a controller. The surinams and the BP are not on heat controls yet. Money is a big issue right now.. But if you real all there info in the packing.. "Specially designed to get no more then 20 degrees over room temp.. What BS...

Just a warning folks.. My cobra mats and flexwatt mats are running perfect and have been longer then this Exo-Terra

Steve

Re:Warning Exo-Terra UTH

Well steve I use one human heat pad and a bunch of zoo med heat mats they have all worked for me the hole time I have had them with no problems...
    I also use nothing but thermastats...
    execpt on my leo's cage I use a reostat and black light bulb...
    Never used anything but one exo-tera bowl and it's paint came off in the water... it was a big piece of crap..
    mention that too.. hehe
    Eric aka...Red

Comment

awwwwwww that sux steve hope the little guy heals for you

LEE

Comment

Thanks Guys... I will tell you if I can locate their number I am gonna go postal on them Monday.. I have never ever had an issue like this happen to me. I am so careful with my babies, hate that he had to go through this.. Trust me he will heal and be fine, just doesn't need to go through this..

Steve

Comment

Thanks for the heads up Steve. We use flexwatt here pretty much, and you can bet the farm we won't be using Exo-Terra now!
          Denny

Comment

Wow steve, that sucks. I hope everything is cool with your male. I'de be pretty pissed too if it was me. Hope everything work out. Should try to get product credit. LOL 8)

Comment

Hey guys,

I need to get their contact info.. Can't let this rest at just a refund. Need to get some kind of ball rolling to figure the problem out. As much as I love working with rescues, its not fair if they have a bad product out there.. i would spend lots of time making sure everyone knows the issues.. So any contact info?/

Steve

Comment

I'd be so mad. Sorry to hear that Steve. When I used those under the cage heat pads with my old enclosures I made sure there was like 2" of substrate over them because the Zoo meds I had didnt have a heat control. I would look into legal action for product security. Thats just wrong, I **** them all to hell..... I'm not a big fan of those bottom heaters anyway, you've seen my cage, I have the different levels of basking shelves and all the heat comes from the top. When my babies get bigger I'll have to re-think that tho cause they'll be to big to get up there and curl up.

**** that makes me mad. Good luck Steve and if there's anything I can do let me know...........Scott

Comment

The only heating products I trust are zoo-med and bigappleherp. I use nothing else. all my CHE's are zoomed, and heat pads are by bigappleherp.

Comment

Thanks for the shared stress.. Just wish i could locate the offices for them so I can call..

He is doing ok, and I do expect full recovery..

Steve

Comment

Hey Steve,

Did a little research and came up with Hagen Inc. as the manufacturer of Exo-Terra products (to the best of my knowledge anyway). The Exo-Terra catalog is printed by Hagen as well. I copied this from the bottom of their catalog:

Distributed by:
                      Canada: Rolf C. Hagen Inc., Montreal, QC H4R 1E8
                      U.S.A.: Rolf C. Hagen (U.S.A.) Corp., Mansfield, MA. 02048
                      U.K.: Rolf C. Hagen (U.K.) Ltd., Castleford, W. Yorkshire WF10 5QH
                      Printed in Canada

Website is http://www.hagen.com

They don't really have an address and contact info on their site (although I'm sure with a little more research I could come up with it..haha), but they do have a Corporate Contact Form you can use.

http://www.hagen.com/usa/contact.cfm

Hope this helps.

Comment

Hey Bill,

Thanks so much for the info. I emailed them a contact request.. Guess we will see if they reply to me..

Thanks again
                        Steve

Comment

Dear Steve,

I am so sorry to hear about your red-tail! Did you have a chance to speak to or contact our customer service in the US?

Let me know if there is anything I can do?

Best Regards,

Exo Terra

Comment

Hello,

I am honestly glad to see you on the forums.. If yuou look around you will see this community is one of the best around.. I did speak to Cust service. The first time they said the person I needed to talk with would be back in 2 days. I left a message on voice mail for him. a week later I called again and just spoke to the person who answered the phone. He took the whole story and said he would have UPS pick up the defective UTH.. I called two days later to let him know that this heater is one that is self adhesive to the whole area and I could not remove it. They said someone would call me back. That was last week, still no word. I know alot of folks here would like to know how all this resolves, and I in no way am out to trash Exo-terra name, just was very upset that one of my babies took so much damage that never should have happened in the first place...

If you can contact me direct I would be very happy to talk with you..
                            Thanks
                            Steve Clark
                            Chance Rescue

Comment

Wow, we actually have someone from exo-terra here? Can't wait to see what he's gonna do for you Steve. Maybe it can be resolved.

And Welcome to the forums Exo-Terra.

I really hope you can resolve Steves problem for him. He loves his reptiles and rescues and being what happend, happend, maybe you can help shed light on what exo-terra can do to fix the problem. Hope you enjoy being here in our wonderful community.

Jay

Comment

Working...
                              X