Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What hygrometer do you use?

Hi,

Curious what you guys are using for humidity monitoring.

Re: What hygrometer do you use?

hey there i just use a dial type hygrometer by Exo-Terra
    i shud go digital really but hey-ho !!

Comment

I use cooper rmph120's dual digital. very nice and accurate but $$

Link
      Product Listing Thermometers

digital panel therm/hydro
      shawn

Comment

To the best of my knowledge humidity is a relative thing unlike temperature which is constant, in other words relative humidity is the amount of moisture in the air compared to what the air can "hold" at that temperature. When the air can't "hold" all the moisture, then it condenses as dew therefore hygrometers are not always spot on in determining actual water vapor present in the air. I don't use hygrometers. You can tell when there is ample humidity for each sub-species from experience alone. (what the cage "looks and feels" like). I realize this is not the answer you were looking for, but I figured i would shed some light on the science end of it all.

Comment

Originally posted by dapozer View Post
          I use cooper rmph120's dual digital. very nice and accurate but $$

Link
          Product Listing Thermometers

digital panel therm/hydro
          shawn

Hey [QUOTE=dapozer;408368] do you have any more pics of this set up of your's

Comment

Comment

probe is hanging in upper right corner above hide

Comment

Temporary set-up, Also can you find the albino?

Comment

Temporary set-up, Also can you find the albino?

My room Humidity is around 30% tanks stay at 60%

Comment

Not bad..Not Bad

Comment

Very nice I love the set up

Comment

Originally posted by jgonzalez305 View Post
                        Not bad..Not Bad
                        LOL!! If I was in the room with set up and Barry White came on the radio....well, Dapozer would end up kicking me out thats for sure! I use a cheapo ZooMed Hygrometer cause I wouldn't trust myself with Daposer's sexy set up! Also, the Albino is in the bottom cage left front cornerish.

Mat.

Comment

I don't use a Hygrometer. I don't feel it's necessary.

I mist my boas daily and I check them carefully. It only takes a minute to check them.

You can tell by looking at your boas if the humidity is right or not. If their scales/eyes are dented in, then you need higher humidity.

If there's light to heavy condensation on the doors/walls/ceiling then there's too much humidity.

If your boas have normal sheds and don't try to soak all the time, then the humidity is probably fine.

As long as you have them in proper cages and at proper temps. A simply misting, once or twice as day, will keep the humidity in the right range. You might have to mist twice a day, while in shed, just to make sure they don't have problems shedding. In the case of shedding, it's better to have the humidity a little higher than not high enough.

Comment

Originally posted by Linda View Post
                            I don't use a Hygrometer. I don't feel it's necessary.

I mist my boas daily and I check them carefully. It only takes a minute to check them.

You can tell by looking at your boas if the humidity is right or not. If their scales/eyes are dented in, then you need higher humidity.

If there's light to heavy condensation on the doors/walls/ceiling then there's too much humidity.

If your boas have normal sheds and don't try to soak all the time, then the humidity is probably fine.

As long as you have them in proper cages and at proper temps. A simply misting, once or twice as day, will keep the humidity in the right range. You might have to mist twice a day, while in shed, just to make sure they don't have problems shedding. In the case of shedding, it's better to have the humidity a little higher than not high enough.
                            I've never had one before but I thought it might be working picking up (not saying one for EVERY cage or anything; would of been super cool if the temp gun I had could check humidity)

I have moved all 7 of my snakes this week to new boaphiles. A few of my tubs are super high humidity I can see water on the tub side (some barely, some a lot). I know it is probably due to the size of bowl I have in there. The dollar store only had a few sizes so I got 1 size bigger than intended for all my rhinorax tubs (this is where I have too much). I'm playing with the water levels in the bowl right now to try to control it but I've got no idea how high it is.

Swapping to my 422d stack... the waterbowls in there are a bit small (again they did not have super big ones but I'll go to walmart this weekend). I am misting the drop down hinge door on these cages 2 - 3 times a day to "spike it" but I have no clue the average in here. I've never seen any water condense on the front glass (it only has water when I spray it). I spray that area the most so I can see it evaporate off and stuff but I do lightly mist the news paper (its dry minutes later).

I just figured one of these might be easier than continously moving waterbowl position and changing water levels a million times in every cage, but once I figure it out yeah it will probably be mostly useless.

Thanks for the info guys, I guess right now I'm not so sure I should even get one, but I do think this would be easier to setup these tanks.

Like I said, my biggest concern is getting the condensation out of my rhinorax. Is there any general anwser to how much humidity there has to be for the condensation to form?

Comment

I have found a thermometer at WalMart that also measures humidity--they run less than $20. According to my neighbor's expensive hygrometer that I borrowed--it is very accurate and my snakes always have perfect sheds so I'm guessing the humidity is spot on...
                              http://berkeleyknebel.wix.com/mississippimorphs

Photo credit:Eddie Ard .....Banner Credit:Big PaPa Ernest

Comment

Working...
                              X