Best thermostat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best thermostat?

I need to get one for my 3 bin rack. I was thinking Helix. Any opinions on what to stay away from would be helpful

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Re: Best thermostat?

I use herpstats on my rack and enclosures. Never had an issue.

Comment

I've heard good reviews about Helix.

I just recently bought a Herpstat due to overwhelming recommendations within the herp community.

Comment

I have a Herpstat that is controlling a couple of heating devices for my boa's cage. It has a nice range of controls and I am very happy with it.

I have not tried Helix myself so I can't compare the two. I just know with my amount of research I did I ended up with a Herpstat. I am sure both will work well

Comment

I have four herpstat 4s and one herpstat one, never had an issue with them, only brand I've used though.

Comment

I've heard good things about Helix although I've never used them. I had some Johnston thermostats for a while and I recently switched over to these - Vivarium Electronics VE-100 - Reptile Basics Inc - mostly because they're stackable and I was going through a kick of tidying up Snake Town. I've been really happy with them so far. But again, I've never heard anything back about Helix so you can't go wrong going with them.
            “I love deadlines. I love the whooshing noise they make as they go by.” -DA
            www.outworldreptiles.com

Comment

On the low end (~$30), you have the Zilla/pet store type thermostats, or a simple dimmer type mechanism. Although some people use them long term without having any problems, I would recommend spending a couple extra bucks for peace of mind.

At the $40-90 sort of range, you can get a Ranco ETC-111000 or a Johnson Controls. These on/off t-stats are designed for HVAC systems, so they have a very high level of reliability, but lack extra features.

Above $100 is where you get into the purpose-built high quality proportional reptile thermostats. I've never used the Vivarium Electronics ones sold by Reptile Basics, but they have good reviews. I've had a Helix running constantly for 6-7 years, and the only problem I've had was a blown fuse after a power surge, which was very easy to replace. For everything else, I'm a big fan of Herpstat. They have excellent customer service and tons of features. Night drop settings, multiple channels, high/low temperature alarms, and tons more when you get into the more expensive models.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Zaphod42 View Post
                I've heard good things about Helix although I've never used them.
                I have a Helix and love it. It's really easy to set up and has a much easier to read display than Herpstat. I can read my current temp from across the room without my glasses on.

You can not go wrong with a Helix, Herpstat, or Ranco.

-Sean in NoCal
                “Americanism means the virtues of courage, honor, justice, truth, sincerity, and hardihood – the virtues that made America.”
                -Teddy Roosevelt.

Comment

Working...
                X