This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flex Watt brand Heat tape.

I have used Flex Watt heat tape in all my new cages.  My intention is to replace the CHE's as they expire ( which will be a while) with the Flex Watt product.  I know that Jeff Ronne has used Flex Watt exclusively for years.

Other than ease of use and installation, this product is VERY economical, in initial cost and in power consumption and life of product.

It should be considered in all custom cage and breeding rack situations. It does require a thermostat contoller type device to regulate and control the heat.

It is available at BigAppleHerp.com and others.

To gain knowledge is good, but to share knowledge is wise

-Best Regards
    -Clay English
    Founder Redtailboas.com 1998-2013

Re: Flex Watt brand Heat tape.

I agree. I only use that on my rack systems. I use the UTH on my aquariums that have my pets though. 8)

Comment

the heat from the heat tape can go through melamine? I fit can I didnt know it worked that well.

Comment

Yes it is a perfect heat source for the melamine. It provides the radiant heat from the melamine that is hard to beat and it is a very safe product and an EXTREMELY long lasting product.

The heat provided through the melamine gets nice and warm, but has little danger of damaging the animals. It does need to be monitored and controlled by a thermostat type device. But it can dang near last forever and even the stock product is 20 watts a foot. So if you are heating half of a 4 foot cage, you are only using 2 feet of flexwatt and that is a total of 40 watts of power consumption, instead of the 100 or 120 watt CHE's or Heat Lamps, so flexwatt is also more economical. There is also a 10 watt per foot version available directly from the company.

-Best Regards
        -Clay English

Comment

I seen a vendor using one for his snakes at the Maryland Show
          in Harve DeGrace. I think he bought them for the show too, because we are by the door, and everyone was letting the cold air in.

In any case i was impressed!

Comment

Are these more economical then the RHP. I herd that these are the best as far as cost of use... Which is better for a pet cage... I don't breed but I Will like to use the best products I can with my boas, Well all my snakes.
            ERIC

Comment

Economical? Oh Yea! The product is extremely low cost, although you do have to have some electrical knowledge to assemble the unfinished product.

Here is an example.

A store bought under the tank heater, smallest size, approximately 3 inches by 5 inches, will sell for 17 dollars or so. The large UTH can cost 30 bucks for a 12"X12" size.

A 12" X 11" piece of Flexwatt is under 4 dollars.

So I can heat 2 of the 6 foot tall multiple cage enclosures with 6 foot of Flexwatt. So for about 24 dollars, I have enough flexwatt to heat 10 cages. You also have to have the electrical cord that attaches to the flexwatt, and the protective clips to cover the connections. But still. the cost comparison is not even close.

It just requires a little electrical knowledge to get it set up properly

-Best Regards
              -Clay English

Comment

But as far as cost of heating with it. Is it cheaper then RHP?

Comment

Clay,
                  You said for a 4 foot cage you need 2 feet of the heat tape. That would be 24" x 11". How would you place this under the cage, lenght wise or depth wise?

Comment

How hard is this to hook up? If I couldn't figure it out, Suzy's dad use to be an electrician. I presume he could figure it out.

Also, is it just put underneath like UTH's?

Comment

It is real simple..just remember to order the clip set when you buy it.
                      How hard is this to hook up?  If I couldn't figure it out, Suzy's dad use to be an electrician.  I presume he could figure it out.

Also, is it just put underneath like UTH's?

Comment

Alright, can do.

Comment

I just bought some flexwatt and I was wondering what is the best thing to attach the heat tape onto a wood or melamine cage. I was thinking of just using duct tape but I am afraid that it will not last very long.

Thanks for the help.

Josh

Comment

OK, you've convinced me. I'm going to buy some of that flex watt heat tape. ;D My question is, how much should I buy and can you buy it by the roll, like you have in your photo? I went to bigappleherp.com and I didn't see it there by the roll. Only 11" x 12", but it did say by the foot. I was a little confused by that. The demensions of the enclosure that I'm building is..... 2ft deep, 6ft long and 4.5 ft high. I am planning on putting in two shelves, multi layered (as soon as I can figure out the best way of installing them). How much tape should I put in/on the tank? Should I place one under one of the shelves too? Also, the enclosure is made out of oak plywood, should I place the tape outside the tank on the bottom, or should I place it inside the tank, with something on top of it, so that the snakes don't lay directly on top of it? Or should I just use one strip under one of the shelves to heat that section below the shelf and the shelf itself? Sorry for all the questions, I just want to do this right!!!!!!

Comment

I just thought I would add a great link that I found when I was researching heat tape before I ever used the stuff.

http://www.arbreptiles.com/cages/flexwire.html

There is also a link on that page that has the warnings about not using a thermostat with it that is a definite read.

As for how to use it, it can be used in many different ways depending on your design. I used it on the top of my shelves on my rack for the belly heat affect. It is controlled by a Helix thermostat. A pic of the heat tape on my rack:

The main things to remember when using this stuff is to insure there is a way for the heat to dissapate (sp) and insure it is controlled (i.e. thermostat). The recommendations of the manufacturer state to not run it any hotter than 95 degrees although it does get hotter. On my rack the tape itself will run around 100 to maintain a temp of 92-93 in the tubs above it with the gap for air flow between. As for using it to heat "through" melamine, I personally would not do that since the temp of the tape would have to get quite hot and melamine doesn't transfer heat quick enough to prevent it from overheating the tape. Just my opinion though.

There are many ways you can use it without trying to transfer heat "through" the wood or melemine. One solution is cut a slot out of the wood to fit the heat tape in and seal it in a thinner material such as plexiglass which transfers heat better. I have not tried this method but hear it works well.

Anyway, thought I would contribute. Use it safely and it is the greatest stuff and the only way to go!

Oh, just one more thing. Heat tape doesn't do crap for your ambient temps so don't expect it to. It will get your hot spot exactly where you want it but the ambient temps will still depend on your ambient room temp or other heating sources. Just an fyi.

Comment

Working...
                              X