This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Substrate

I used to use pine, but switched after health concern reports. I switched to aspen which is dust free and leaves no toxic residue in water bowls. I made the switch over a year ago and realized that my snakes seemed to be more active as well with burrowing etc...
    What do you use? And why?

Re: Substrate

I personally use coconut bark now. In the past I have used post aspen and repti-carpet. I now use the coconut bark because:
    1)holds moisture better
    2)visually appealing
    3) SNAKES LIKE IT(my #1 reason)

The aspen seemed to DRY out the cages a bit, and the carpet did'nt allow them to burrow as they like to do on occasion. I just watch the snakes, when they seem happy, I am happy.

Comment

:-/

I just use paper towel. . . right now my balls cage is real simple. . . he seems ok w/it though. When he knocks his little hide box over he goes under the paper towel, so he knows how to make the best use of it! :} LOL!

Tara

Comment

Okay most people already know that I use a 1 inch base of pure clay kitty litter (100% dirt folks, this stuff costs $1.89 for 25 pounds, has no additives, perfumes or chemicals). Then I cover it with about 15 to 20 layers of newspapers on top.  

Very economical  ;D ;D ;D
        Easy to Change out  8) 8) 8)
        Easy to Spot clean
        Keeps the odors down :P :P :P

AND I have a TON of boas, but you should know that already!

What some people do not know is that I (my kids actually) have two boas that are kept strictly as pets.  They are in the house and set up very nicely.  They are kept on aspen which is more visually appealing.

To gain knowledge is good, but to share knowledge is wise

-Best Regards
        -Clay English
        Founder Redtailboas.com 1998-2013

Comment

Come On Stop LOL The faces are killing me.
          Clay you put them in the perfect spots on that last post. I fell off my chair laughing. ;D

Comment

i like to use zoo-med's repti-bark. has anyone found anything wrong with this stuff?? i know of the impaction danger, but my fraternity house has a big metal trough(if you don't ask why, i won't have to answer) outside in the back yard. i always feed inside of this to lessen the danger while eating. i like to use it for a couple of reasons... it's easy to find, not too expensive, and very visually appealing in my set-up b/c i have a clay bowl, an actual tree branch, and a half of a hollowed out tree for a hide box. it's a very natural theme i have going. i think that newspaper, or paper towels, or astro-turf would just throw everything off, but i will change it if it is a health threat to my snake.

thanks

ryan

Comment

I have used ReptiBark product before inside the house with our pet boas. I still have a half bag under one of the enclosures. Other than the accidental ingestion issue, which is solved by simply not feeding in the same enclosure, the only other problem is that is it is a little harder to spot clean, as is all wood bark/chip products.

But it and coconut bark are probably the most visually appealing products they make. Boas sure do "stand out" on that dark brown background.
              To gain knowledge is good, but to share knowledge is wise

-Best Regards
              -Clay English
              Founder Redtailboas.com 1998-2013

Comment

i have also used many different substrates in my snakes cages. repti bark,aspen, reptile carpet to name a few. what i have in my cages now really depends on what my snakes seem to like. my tree pythons spend most of there time on there perches so a substrate in there cages can be flexible. i like to use newpaper. my ball pythons cages all have reptile carpet so i can feed them on the substrate. my boa cage has aspen in it which he seems to love and the only catch is that i have to feed him in another enclosure which he doesn't seem to mind.

Comment

The only problem with the Repti-Bark is that sometimes you get cedar in it which isn't too good for snakes, but okay for lizards. I use that and Bone-Aid for the lizards. ;D

Comment

Another problem that I have heard about, is that repti-bark can harbor mites. If the pet store is infected, then there is a good chance that they're in the bark. THERE IS A SOLUTION though, I have a large freezer here at the house for food storage, simply throw a bag of bark in deep freeze for a day or two and the little buggers that might be in there will definately be dead!! I have heard of others baking it, but that is just too much trouble and it stinks!!! I am still stuck on my coconut bark, although I have put my corn and baby girl(thanks clay) back on repti-carpet for now for ease of cleaning. The baby boa will definately go on coconut bark once she gets a bit bigger, but while they are small, everything is small, if ya know what I mean. :P Anyways, my male seems to hate me if I give him anything BUT the coconut bark, soo....... guess what he gets?! :-/ :-/ :-/
                    Anyways, I'm sorry guys I have'nt been around much lately, I have been so.. busy trying to find a new job and everything. I HATE JOB HUNTING!!! >

Comment

and where can i get some of this cocoanut bark?

Comment

I would also like to know where to buy this substrate. I saw it in an add in Reptiles Magazine.
                        Ryan R.

Comment

Probably the best place for you to find a vendor online is at the T-Rex website at http://www.t-rexproducts.com

Here is the ad that they have on their site:T-Rex Coconut Bark

T-Rex Coconut Bark is an attractive natural bark made completely from coconut shells. This bark is perfect for humid or arid environments. Not only does this bark look good, it is non-toxic and harmless if ingested. T-Rex Coconut Bark absorbs better than other bedding substrates and makes spot cleaning easy. A great addition to any vivarium.
                          Available in chips or chunks.

On their site, use the retailers link to find dealers in your area.  Hope this helps!!!!

Comment

okay, now that i've found an online retailer, sould i get the chunks or the chips??

Comment

I like the chips, much ,more appealing. I get the breeder size, I believe it is 32 qt. It is worth the money in the long run. It will fill a 4' x 2' cage and still have quite a bit left over for spot cleaning.

Comment

Working...
                              X