Any Computer People Here??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any Computer People Here??

just curious if we have any pc guru's here. my main pc died while xp was updating itself (go figure) and im getting ready to build a new one once i collect enough funds. and after about 30 minutes of searching, it seems that the tech forum i use to use has been shutdown. i dont feel like joining another one just for an opinion on my build. so... since this is the only forum i frequent anymore, maybe some of you will have some insight.

im building this pc for my gaming habit and for graphics design. shun me if you will, but gaming is a great time killer when your bored and you meet an ton of people from around the world. anyway... i build my pcs to be close to top of the line, but on a strict budget. my last pc i built, i did my senior year in high school (03) and spent $850 on it. and believe it or not, its the same pc i was using up to a week ago. it was still able to play new games like cod4 and tf2 im going to try and do that again. buy decent products, at cheap prices, and hope for the best. heres my list so far:

CASE: Cooler Master RC-690 / ATX Mid Tower (already have)
    MOBO: EVGA nforce 780i SLI
    CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8600 Wolfdale / 6mb cache / 3.33GHz (could have gone bigger, but on a budget)
    GPU: EVGA GeForce 9800 GTX+ 512mb GDDR3
    PSU: Corsair HX520 watts / modluar
    RAM: OCZ SLI-Ready PC2 8000 DDR2 1000MHz (2 x 2gb)

for the heatsink on the cpu... i wanna get a zalman. but i dont know if i want the 9500A with the 92mm fan or the 9700 with the 110mm fan. still havent made up my mind on case fans yet either, but im sure im going to be using 120mm fans. i just want the most efficent and QUITEST one i can get for cheap. someone mentioned yate looms (or something like that) but newegg and tigerdirect dont carry them. and as for the HDD... ill make up my mind on that at the last moment. ill be jacking my opticle drives and sound card (SB 24-bit Live 5.1 surrond) out of my old pc.

any comments/opinions/suggestions?

Re: Any Computer People Here??

Ha, no shunning here- I work as a concept artist for Microsoft Game Studios, so I'm not really one to judge. *sets down Xbox controller*

Seems like a solid build- I'm not nearly well versed enough in CPU fan specifics to side with either of the zalmans, but I've only heard good things about their fans and they're pretty nicely priced on newegg. And you mean the Yate Loons? They're quiet and cheap. Hard to complain. I have yet to build my own gaming PC, but have been keeping tabs on friends' projects and hope I can do it myself soon. Best of luck on this, keep us updated!

-C

Comment

ooo... can you get me some 360 games for cheap? lmao

yeah, zalmans are pretty much the set standard for heatsinks now. whenever i glance through a maximumpc mag, which ever heatsink they are testing, they always compair them to the zalman 9500A. thats it, yate loons! thats what i was told about them... cheap and efficent. just gotta find me some. newegg use to have them, but i didnt see them tonight when i checked

Comment

Looks like a pretty decent setup. I built a new system this summer which was:

Asus P5Q Deluxe Mobo
        Intel E8400
        Visiontek 4850
        4gb G.skill ddr2800 ram
        CM 590 case

I would recommend downgrading your CPU slightly to the 8400, replacing the mobo with a P5Q Pro, and jacking the vid card up to a 4870. Newegg.com - VisionTek 900244 Radeon HD 4870 512MB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards This one is pretty good , plus it has an included HDMI port just in case.

Should be a pretty good rig

Comment

That's something I've always wanted to do. A large majority of my friends are very big gamers and all built their own gaming PCs on a fairly regular basis. I don't game so I don't know any of the brandnames you mentioned, but it sounds like you know what you're doing! To run 4GBs of RAM you need a 64-bit OS right?

Comment

What are the stats of your old pc, pm me the price of parts if you wanna part out.

Comment

im not a fan of asus at all, so i wont be going that route. and this is going to be my first intel based rig, since amd seems to be dropping the ball a lil. ill check out that vid card since it does seem to have a few pros over the 9800gtx+. but im not promising anything, lol. i LOVE EVGA boards. and now im psyched with the new ESA feature. thing is, if i go with the ATI card... i have to find a new mobo and processor but thanks for throwin out that suggestion there. i got a while to think about this cause it isnt going to be cheap.

oh, btw... the 9800gtx+ comes with a hdmi adapter too

Comment

yeah joley. the 32-bit version of xp or vista only recognize something like... 3.3gb of memory. you can still put 4gb in there, but it wont recognize all of it

id have to check... no wait... i cant, lol. sorry, i cant remember all the stats of my dead rig. it had a radeon 9800xt pro 256mb vid card in it, but it fried in a thunder storm. so now im running the 9600 128mb. im jackin the sound card and opticle drives, so that out of the question. i cant use my HDD cause it wont boot or format, so thats out too. ill check on the sticks of memory. i know its running 2 stick of 1gb, but other than that... ill have to pull them out and check. but i do have 2 stick of 1gb pc5300 ddr2 667mhz. not sure on the psu, but its salvagable too... along with the cpu, mobo, and case. just let me know what you would be interested in, and ill keep ya updated on the parts

Comment

Any particular reason you don't like Asus? This is my second board with them, the second one is going on 6 years right now, no problems. Why would you need a new mobo and CPU w/ the ati vid card?

Best bet for a HDD would be a Western Digital 640gb. Awesome drive.

Comment

EVGA is a great brand to go with, they are one of my personal favorites indeed.
                    I've recently built a computer myself, and man, technology is already replacing itself!

I hate ATI/AMD with a passion, so I'd obviously say stick with intel and nVidia.
                    Your CPU is fine, just Overclock it to 4.00 ghz stable and it'll be great... assuming you have the right cooling

edit: and SLI is great, dual up 9800's and you should be fine for 2-3 years

Comment

on a previous build, i failed on 2 asus boards on the start. i ended up going with an nvidia albatron.

id have to switch to a crossfire ready board, cause im sure ill get greedy and want to bump everything up to the max. so i will need another vid card to do that. from my understanding... sli and crossfire are not compatible. plus i dont like mixing intel with amd. things just seem to run smoother for longer that way.

oh, i was a HUGE amd fanboy. i had 2 intels burn out on me in a 2.5 year span. plus i always have used ati cards. but their vid cards started lacking and their dual cores werent anything to get excited about. so i figured id give intel a 2nd chance. specially since everybody seems to be praising them now.

Comment

Originally posted by Stygian View Post
                        on a previous build, i failed on 2 asus boards on the start. i ended up going with an nvidia albatron.

id have to switch to a crossfire ready board, cause im sure ill get greedy and want to bump everything up to the max. so i will need another vid card to do that. from my understanding... sli and crossfire are not compatible. plus i dont like mixing intel with amd. things just seem to run smoother for longer that way.

oh, i was a HUGE amd fanboy. i had 2 intels burn out on me in a 2.5 year span. plus i always have used ati cards. but their vid cards started lacking and their dual cores werent anything to get excited about. so i figured id give intel a 2nd chance. specially since everybody seems to be praising them now.
                        This was about a few months ago, but I was reading some articles and it stated that AMD was about 12 months behind intel

Comment

Hey, just thought I'd throw in my 2 cents because this is relative to my interests. My main PC kind of crapped out on me recently, so I decided that with each meager paycheck I'd get a couple of parts at a time, until I'd built a new modestly awesome PC. I'm going with:

-Antec 900 case
                          -Antec 850W PSU (there was a discount on Newegg if you bought both)
                          DFI Lanparty 790GX-M2RS mobo (onboard video until I can afford 2 video cards)
                          -AMD 9950 Black Edition 2.6GHz quad core (overclockable)
                          -Corsair Dominator 2x2GB 1066MHz DDR2 RAM
                          -Seagate 640GB SATA II HD
                          -Zalmann CPU cooler for sure

and budget allowing:
                          -up to 2 ATI 4850 video cards

Mostly because the newest Intel and DDR3 gear is waaaay out of my price range.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by natieb View Post
                            Hey, just thought I'd throw in my 2 cents because this is relative to my interests. My main PC kind of crapped out on me recently, so I decided that with each meager paycheck I'd get a couple of parts at a time, until I'd built a new modestly awesome PC. I'm going with:

-Antec 900 case
                            -Antec 850W PSU (there was a discount on Newegg if you bought both)
                            DFI Lanparty 790GX-M2RS mobo (onboard video until I can afford 2 video cards)
                            -AMD 9950 Black Edition 2.6GHz quad core (overclockable)
                            -Corsair Dominator 2x2GB 1066MHz DDR2 RAM
                            -Seagate 640GB SATA II HD
                            -Zalmann CPU cooler for sure

and budget allowing:
                            -up to 2 ATI 4850 video cards

Mostly because the newest Intel and DDR3 gear is waaaay out of my price range.
                            The Antec 900 is a great case, it is what I use.

Comment

everybody seems to have that case. when i bought mine, everybody was telling me to get it. me: "noooo... to pricey" (and it was when it came out). plus its just got a weird shape to it, lol. im goin for pure simplicity this time. now flashy looks, no spiffy slights, none of it. the only lighting on my pc will be the zalman, if i decide to to go with the 110mm over the 92mm. my current case has too much light...

12" neon tube in case (blue)
                              4 led's in front of case (head light) (looks like a bmw, lol) (blue)
                              4 more led's in the front to highlight the etching in the clear door that covers the opticle drives (blue)
                              blue back lighted temp sceen on the front
                              and then a case fan on the side with 4 diffferent led colors (were suppose to be blue)

Comment

Working...
                              X